Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roger67

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2017
I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. 'Pro users' are typically defined as those people that use their computers, at least in part, to make a living whether that be artists, audio/video editors, film makers, software engineers (like me), etc. Having a focus on letting the tech get out of the way, so what the user interacts with doesn't feel like they're manipulating tech is a good thing for all those folks, IMO.

iCloud is a perfect example. The fact that so many of my apps (Messages, Safari, etc) use a cloud based service to keep things in sync, to keep my messages in all places at all times .. but it does it automatically and without me having even know that it's happening .. is a great example of letting consumers benefit from high tech while still keeping it in the background. It becomes a smooth experience, with great empowerment, but the user isn't tied up in the details of it all. Companies that simply work at building tech place the consumer experience as secondary, and that rarely helps anyone.

I think being focused on the consumer experience first, and building tech to provide all this functionality with that priority is what helps everyone have a more enjoyable and more productive experience.

Agree that the professional cannot afford to be distracted with tangential things like storage or email or maps. But while it's good for consumers to have the workings of a gadget or computer hidden away, the professional needs access to the inner workings, especially as much of the job is about dealing with novel challenges that require new solutions or to improve or refine performance. The product suited to the consumer is very different than the professional product. Cook's quote says Apple is focused on the consumer and I don't think it's any different than Jobs's. The Apple pro golden years are an aberration.

This Apple vision explains why Jobs didn't want larger screens - because the iphone 4 is a good fit with the hand. If you want a bigger screen then get an ipad. Lighter and thinner is not about technical triumphs but because lighter is easier to use and less intrusive. The iwatch isn't a silly gimmick but the natural progression from the smartphone to something even less intrusive (better than awkward and threatening eyeglass like stuff from google), though the technology isn't ready yet.

SergueiTemp

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Seoul
I heard there's new rumour going on about Cook finally stepping down from CEO position, but can't find any news other than him being mad about Ivy departure presented as disagreement inside Apple. So, any rumours? Cause I'm big fan of anything "Tim Cook leaving Apple" related.

Reactions: Jmausmuc

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
I heard there's new rumour going on about Cook finally stepping down from CEO position, but can't find any news other than him being mad about Ivy departure presented as disagreement inside Apple. So, any rumours? Cause I'm big fan of anything "Tim Cook leaving Apple" related.
Your “rumor” is completely fake.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I hope the rumors are true. I’m not a Tim Cook hater like many on here and he definitely did more than just a decent job from a shareholder perspective.
If you judge him like you would judge any other corporate CEO you would have to admit that he was hugely successful in almost all aspects.

The only thing is, I really don’t feel him on an emotional level. It not about the SJW stuff or whatever which isn’t really an issue for me.
It’s more that I am suffering from some Apple nostalgia. I really became a hardcore Apple fan when the first iPhone came out. It was a great time. Apple stores were my favorite place to hang out. I just loved everything about it.

these days are now long gone, the iPhone is commodity and apples new products don’t excite me in the slightest. I could fall asleep thinking about the iPhone 11 launch.

overall thought, I don’t even think this is due to Cook. He did what was possible. Jobs was irreplaceable, no matter who or what. There was no way to keep the emotional mojo.

So I still kinda wish for a new CEO because you never know what might come of it and all I want at this point from Apple is something new and exciting but overall I have to admit that I am just suffering from hardcore nostalgia because of what “old Apple” signifies for me.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I hope the rumors are true. I’m not a Tim Cook hater like many on here and he definitely did more than just a decent job from a shareholder perspective.
If you judge him like you would judge any other corporate CEO you would have to admit that he was hugely successful in almost all aspects.

The only thing is, I really don’t feel him on an emotional level. It not about the SJW stuff or whatever which isn’t really an issue for me.
It’s more that I am suffering from some Apple nostalgia. I really became a hardcore Apple fan when the first iPhone came out. It was a great time. Apple stores were my favorite place to hang out. I just loved everything about it.

these days are now long gone, the iPhone is commodity and apples new products don’t excite me in the slightest. I could fall asleep thinking about the iPhone 11 launch.

overall thought, I don’t even think this is due to Cook. He did what was possible. Jobs was irreplaceable, no matter who or what. There was no way to keep the emotional mojo.

So I still kinda wish for a new CEO because you never know what might come of it and all I want at this point from Apple is something new and exciting but overall I have to admit that I am just suffering from hardcore nostalgia because of what “old Apple” signifies for me.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I remember those times when was excited even before the launch of a newer iOS.
It is gone. Apple lost its aura.
Is there a world beyond Apple. Sure, it is. And it's not as bad as it used to be.
I am starting to enjoy it.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Definite downhill for me. Not going to use most Apple services or watch their content.

I still buy movies and the occasional tv show or song.

I probably wouldn't care about Apple's direction if their hardware and software were fine, and I did not need an internet connection for iTunes on my Apple gear. This is not the case though, and combined with the icy receptions at Apple stores over the past 3.5 years, my decades long love of Apple is fading.

Yes, I feel Cook and his team are to blame for this, but I think it is time for me to just move on.

Reactions: Mendota

olindacat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Greenwich
I was at an Apple store today, and the lack of leadership is just so obvious. A lot of workers really trying hard but unempowered or led, and more idling doing all possible to avoid engaging, eye contact. There was a course on portraiture. The speaker was wining it from notes, very bubbly, but utterly unsupported. The culture is what they hang their hats on, I do too, and I credit TC with trying. He tries, but he's got a big job, and shoes to fill. While the Apple might be less than sweet, the fusion that is Google, MS, Dell, etc., isn't any better.

simply_sami

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Since he has taken charge innovation has rapidly gone downhill.

Apple were pioneers of smartphones in the early years. Since he has taken charge the innovation has disappeared. Every year it’s the same old rubbish hyping up features that have been on other phones for years.

Just do the right thing Mr Cook and resign.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Definitely nothing special with this years iPhones, just closing the camera gap on Pixels. But that doesnt make them bad phones. Theres just no real wow factor in any of the new features/upgrades. Still, coming from a Pixel 3a XL I may be interested. It all depends on if the base storage has improved (Im guessing it hasnt or they wouldve mentioned it).

simply_sami

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Why add something that 99% of the world can't use yet, won't be able to use for at least another year and the chips for it are still very inefficient yet will add a large amount to the cost of the phone?

Their phones cost more or the same as 5g phones...

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2018
Also says the guy who makes a thread moaning there’s no 5G. Yeah get over yourself indeed.
Lol! I wasn’t moaning about it all. I just wasn’t sure if it was something we were expecting this year or not. I don’t follow these things as closely as I used to.
A big difference to calling for someone’s resignation. You clearly take these things too seriously.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Starting to get red pilled they are holding back features they could of put in 3 generations ago to make the new ones look "updated", are ya.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Have you seen the Huawei, Samsung and one plus phones?

Apple can’t even add 5g or USB C to their phones ffs.
Apple is waiting for 5G to be perfected, so best to skip 2019 and wait for next year if you want 5G. I am surprised they're clinging to the Lightning connector, though.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
I’m skipping, not due to the phone power, ok upgrade nothing special.

I decided to skip so I can get out of my contract, it is ever increasing every year on my upgrades. I would rather buy outright now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.