Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
So what you're saying is that tomorrow Samsung announces its Galaxy Gear IV Voice Message model?

Somehow this comment has gotten more tired than Safari is snappier, congrats

Nah, I still enjoy these Samsung comments immensely. Apple borrows tons too, but you can be sure Samsung will be borrowing this one, along with others.
Heck, I don't even know the history of this feature and they're likely borrowing it from someone else. Maybe even Samsung, making my post look dumb?? But when apple does it, that's when EVERYONE else follows. :cool:

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I'd be quite happy to send voice snippets. Especially given how texts have zero tone and can be prone to misinterpretation.

I like using voice-to-text when I'm walking or don't want to bury my head in my phone to type a long text — but it definitely has issues if there's a lot of background noise or if my breathing (while walking) is different than when I'm still.

jian

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
I am Chinese and I have many Chinese friends who does only voice messages. I always though it looks stupid and refuse to use it.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
would be interesting if this could integrate with Carplay and as others have said have KITT effect with SIRI talking back to me.

one use could be getting audible directions to your car should you get lost.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...walking down streets in China one sees people speaking into their phones sending voice rather than text messages. ...

Makes a load of sense in China. Typing Chinese characters with your thumbs is way-hard.

Voice message also work well with technologies like Siri. I'd really like to tell Siri "Let my wife know I stopped at the store. And please let me know when/if he gets the message"

I would then let the "system" figure out the best way to send the message be it email, text or voice. Such a system would work on a watch's tiny screen because I don't need a screen.

Current text message systems are "stupid" in that they can only send the literal get you typed to a single fixed phone number. What I want is an assistant who can make sure the message gets to the person and mate try a few different methods.

Or another example: I tell Siri "ask Bob if he wants to go with that blue stuff or just use war we have?" and then Siri finds Bob and just tells me the answer "Use up what we have first."

This would actually be breakthrough technology. But if all Apple dose id make a cellphone with a 1 inch screen it will fail.

Last edited:
So ready for the iWatch. I've actually been holding off on getting any of the current fitness trackers specifically because of the (rumored) iWatch. Even though I don't know what it'll be or what it'll cost, I have a hard time imagining that I won't get one.

I'm not saying that I'll buy anything with an Apple logo, but any watch that has gone through the extreme dedication and vetting process of Apple will surely be a pretty darned good product.

update: More on topic to this specific subject. Is there the ability (or do you think there will be the ability) to convert the voice message to text? I could see that being pretty handy in certain situations as an option.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
No matter how it is painted, this is simply leaving/giving a voicemail for someone(s) without their phone ringing.

How is that "important"? What problem is that solving?

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
Also - in iOS8 there's a "Raise to Listen" feature in the iMessage settings specifically to make it quick to listen and respond to audio messages.

This by itself should spark no iWatch speculation.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
"When we visited with Tim Cook, he said that walking down streets in China one sees people speaking into their phones sending voice rather than text messages. Porting this capability to the watch makes sense as it is easier to send a voice message from a device already on the wrist than pulling out a phone. It also could aid penetration of China, which Cook said has a ways to go."
I don't recall seeing anyone speaking into their phones while in Beijing. They just wanted a selfie with me and to practice their English. Some in the parks asked for me to join in their morning exercise. Not the self absorbed, phone loving people portrayed by Mr. Cook. I like Mr. Cook, but I'm not so sure of the truth of quote.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Recipe for confusion

There's going to be a lot of confusion as to why there are now 2 mic buttons, with most people having no idea that they will have 2 separate functions. Some of the posters in this thread, who are presumably more tech-literate than the general population, are already confused.

The mic button to the left of the space bar converts your voice to text, then pastes the text into the message box. This functionality is currently available in iOS7.

The mic button to the right of the message box records your voice as audio, then pastes the audio file into conversation. The recipient then clicks on the audio file and hears your voice.

I think Apple should change the icons to be distinct. The one to the left of the space bar could be a small icon of a mic with an arrow pointing to ABC. The one next to the message box could be someone's mouth "speaking".

Hopefully Apple makes this clearer before the release of iOS8.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
or you mean, going to voice memo...recording something...then sending it as an attachment...ONLY BETTER!!!!!
Testing it on iOS8 and it's actually pretty annoying. I can look down at a text and get the gist in seconds. Having a couple of friends from Texas send you a text voice message is like scrapping nails on a chalk board.
Code:
W e l l  l e t  m e  t e l l  y o u  s o m e t h i n g...
... kill me please... this text now takes forever to hear(read).

Sv3n

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Örnsköldsvik, Sverige
Make load of sense in China. Typing Chinese characters with your thumbs is way-hard.

Actually it isn't that hard...you can either use pinyin which allows you to phonetically spell out the words using the Latin alphabet, or you can use traditional handwriting which allows you to draw the character in a square and it will suggest possible characters you seem to be drawing. A few years of practice and you get really really quick at it!

Voice messaging is awesome. I didn't use it until I lived in China and began using Weichat, but it is so much fun and will definitely catch on with the young people.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
There's going to be a lot of confusion as to why there are now 2 mic buttons, with most people having no idea that they will have 2 separate functions. Some of the posters in this thread, who are presumably more tech-literate than the general population, are already confused.

The mic button to the left of the space bar converts your voice to text, then pastes the text into the message box. This functionality is currently available in iOS7.

The mic button to the right of the message box records your voice as audio, then pastes the audio file into conversation. The recipient then clicks on the audio file and hears your voice.

I think Apple should change the icons to be distinct. The one to the left of the space bar could be a small icon of a mic with an arrow pointing to ABC. The one next to the message box could be someone's mouth "speaking".

Hopefully Apple makes this clearer before the release of iOS8.

I'm pretty sure after actually using it once or twice people will learn.

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
I can see dictating into your watch, but when you get a voice memo reply then what? Raise your watch to your ear to listen? That's awkward...

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Voice messaging isn't going to catch on, it's just too awkward. People already do everything possible to avoid calling someone. Unless its urgent, messaging will be relegated to texts.

I completely disagree. I will use the **** out of this. This is voice->text without having to correct everything. being able to hear inflection and the way someone says something.

this is a brilliant idea and I can't wait for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.