Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sitti

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
I type very fast on a physical keyboard, no chance I can beat it on a virtual keyboard where I can only use two fingers.

And you can feel each physical key but you can't with virtual keyboard. While typing on virtual keyboard, your eyes have to stare at each key that you want to hit, which slows down typing speed dramatically.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The virtual keyboard on the iPad is decent, but I feel a lot more productive when working on a physical keyboard. There is no way I can type an 500 word essay on an iPad :D
By the way, I hated the auto-correcting feature on my iPhone and iPad.

I do too, you can turn it off in settings.

Ive adapted to touch keyboard typing very efficiently. At work, corp issued laptop 100%.

Home? IPad 90%. All email, news reading, chatting, banking, check deposit, bill and mortgage payment, investments. All from iPhone/iPad. I hardly have time for games, theyve gone to wayside for new hobbies and responsibilities.

PC has dlna for streaming or encoding the occasional video.

Colman

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
Isn't it strange that people who have spent tens of thousands of hours learning to use a physical keyboard find it difficult to adapt to the virtual one? I'm pretty lazy about adapting to it as well, but in fact, after a bit of time with a type training app I was getting pretty good speeds - certainly fast enough to keep up with the speed with which I can compose text.

My main problem with the on-screen keyboard is that it covers half the screen and doesn't leave enough visible context when I'm trying to write code. I like to work on a 27" iMac + secondary screen so I've got a pile of stuff open in front of me - half an iPad screen doesn't cut it.

On the other hand, if you're composing emails and drafting memos, I don't see why the on screen keyboard would be a big problem. If you're willing to put in some learning time.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Wow a 500 word essay? Is that the demands of the US education system today :eek:

You might want to review the grammar class, you know, the ones where you were snickering about 1 to 1.5 page essays being soooo easy. Saying this cause you missed the part about the use of singular and plural. Or as my friends in Europe say, we don't even have to go to class, just take the tests...essays?

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Brian Williams: "Do you ever duck into the chat rooms to answer an email [...]?"

Me: :confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
About the "t" in your sentence, that's not caused by autocorrect, but seems to be a non-responsiveness with the keyboard. I get that all the time where I find that certain key presses just haven't registered when I expected them to. I have to go back and type more slowly. The autocorrection doesn't bother nearly as much as that does.

I was trying to type "doesn't" so I suspect that I accidentally hit the space instead of N. While I was typing as accurately as I could at a decent speed, I decided in advance that I wasn't going to change anything just to increase the effectiveness of my joke post :)

Still, it's a lot better than my old Sony phone which would try to predict your next word before you even started typing it. If you let it go ahead by itself then you'd end up with nonsense like kangaroo font reply computer tree plate

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
And in other news, he likes soup and wears shoes to work. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
LOL, he is a CEO, he spends most of his time out of the office anyways probably. Has at least one secretary to type for him. Doesn't use any user interface intensive applications like excel or word probably. Probably just reads e-mails and answers phone calls most of the time. So of course he doesn't need a physical keyboard. Neither does a UPS delivery man. Doesn't mean most of the rest of us who create and manage all of your data and system don't!

Absolutely sounds like my Grandpa who swears "young employees" in his business just can't think clearly cause they don't use pencils when writing proposals for him. Of course, he was raised with a pencil (or two) always in his hand and in his pencil box (which actually is pretty cool.)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That's great for Tim. I spend most my day typing stuff, I'm not ready for touch keyboards yet and will spend a good deal of my time carrying on with what I need to do than learning something new that isn't better.

Ecofriend

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
I went and bought the apple Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad, and I love it. While I don't have a problem with typing on glass(this is sent from my iPad using the virtual keyboard) I enjoy the feel of the keys under my fingers, and when I type something wrong on the physical keyboard, I know without looking. It also clears half the screen, giving me a much better view of what I am doing.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
its shocking how many people i know that can't properly type on iPhone keyboards because they don't "trust it" and let it autocorrect in order to type quickly. apple should really consider building in some kind of tutorial.

Exactly, you have to just rip into it and let your fingers fly. Sure, go back and look at how it turned out. You will have to fix something. But you can totally fly on the glass keyboard if you just GO. But you have to trust that it is working because you don't have the tactile feature feel of the keys and since you have to look at the keyboard you can't see the result of your typing. But if you just trust it will be there when you lift your eyes up you can really type quite fast.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Doesn't look like anyone has picked up yet on the fact that he's still using an iPhone 4 or 4S? Interesting... :p

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
I type just as fast and accurate on my iPad than I can on a physical one. My Galaxy Nexus keyboard lags too much and does double letters, but I still can type about 10x faster than a stupid hardware keyboard on any phone! On my iPad, I have some shortcuts as my personal dictionary. In addition to stuff like "hwu" for "Hey what's up?" I also have "hahaha" for "hahaha" so I can use those words.

I use my iPad type multiple essays a week, write forum posts (I did an 800 and 1100 word one last week, mainly do them on The Verge), tweet, write emails, and take notes during class. As a high school student in AP Classes and taking college courses, I have adapted to 100% iPad (except printing off my school's printers). It took a little time to adapt, but I prefer it now way over any physical keyboard. Autocorrect saves my life lol.

Btw, I typed this comment on my phone. ;)

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
im pretty certain that if i email tim@apple.com (or whatever it is) then it's not going direct to him while he sits at his breakfast table.:rolleyes:

Actually they really do. In the biography of Steve Jobs, the emails would go directly to him and he would read them and respond to you as well. This is most likely the same for Tim.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Wow a 500 word essay? Is that the demands of the US education system today :eek:

Is that a lot?

----------

Actually they really do. In the biography of Steve Jobs, the emails would go directly to him and he would read them and respond to you as well. This is most likely the same for Tim.

Oh, so Steve Jobs really did get that email from me telling him that ThePirateBay has downloads of Final Cut.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
His life is probably in slow motion, that's why he doesn't mind typing on touch screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.