Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Only 0.0020755% have gotten sick.

What is your source for this? One of the problems with the Coronavirus is that we actually don't know how many people have been infected. It may have started much earlier, before it was on our radar or not. Knowing this requires a whole lot of testing that we don't currently have capacity for. Why are you so confident you know how many people have been infected?

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
"Business recovery task force?" You need a task force to figure out the best way to improve your economy is to get the hell out of its way? Stop strangling people with absurdly high taxes, and ridiculous regulations and regulatory agencies? Is it that difficult to figure out after all that history?
Right. Because history has shown us time and again that all we need is to to drop all those annoying rules and let the machine run wild while we trust in the ethics and good will of bosses, insiders, and rich people. It worked beautifully in 2007! Let’s do this!

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Your figures are way out.

37,135 deaths in the US so far.
331,002,651 population of US
0.011219% of population has died of Covid-19 so far.

~100 car deaths per day in US
~2,000 Covid-19 deaths per day in US
You most definitely do not "literally have a higher chance of dying in a car crash tomorrow"

All deaths aren't created equal with Covid-19, which is a huge, almost non-reported factor.

The vast majority of deaths are from people with underlying conditions and/or from people over 65. This has been confirmed with data I'll detail below. Age and underlying conditions are HUGE. In fact, underlying conditions are far more important than even age. Healthy people over 65 have a great chance of survival, like well over 95%.

Stay with me here. This is important, but a little bit of a walk to get to the conclusion. I'm also not saying all this data is iron clad, but we need to start analyzing deaths more deeply than just the gross number.

Some detailed data came out of New York and based on 6,800 COVID-19 deaths, I believe only 137 died with no underlying conditions. If we assume the current ~4% mortality rate in NY, those 6,800 deaths were from ~170,000 cases. This means if you're just an average, healthy person without underlying issues, your death rate is ~0.08% and that assumes you have been infected COVID-19, which is also unlikely. If we assume you aren't infected (most people aren't) and the chance of being infected is less than 1%, your chances of dying of COVID-19 are nil...far less than a car wreck...like 1 in 125,000.

At the end of the day, you're going to save lives if you force people to stay home forever. You'll save them from car wrecks, plane crashes, shootings, etc...but it doesn't mean we are banning air travel. Economies have to open up again, with whatever precautions necessary, or you're going to have a problem far more massive than a virus that doesn't kill healthy people.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryanwarsaw

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
He got crushed by a car, but as he had previous heart problems, it should not be counted in the list of stradal accidents
You can’t entirely dismiss underlying conditions because of your bad analogy. Many underlying conditions are directly related to mortality from this virus, but OK.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
You can’t entirely dismiss underlying conditions because of your bad analogy. Many underlying conditions are directly related to mortality from this virus, but OK.
Let me think... will I believe Wall Stree Journal or your continue numbering?
You can't entirely dismiss reality because you have to prove your point since from the start. You keep on with figures and figures (showing no respect/empathy for those who lost their dear one, but that's my idea) because you want to demonstrate (to who?) that this Covid-19 thing is an overreaction.
I already told you before: numbers are useful when you first take a look at them and use the result to develop a theory. If, on the other hand, you are seeking confirmation of your ideas at all costs ... well, then you have made a mistake from the beginning. ANd going on just make it bigger.

Median Hospital Stay
Covid-19 12 days
Seasonal Flu 3.6 days

Hospitalization rate*
Covid-19 10.64%
Seasonal flu 1.33%

Fatality Rate*
Covid-19 3.59%
Seasonal flu 0.11%

*Show hospitalizations and deaths as a percentage of total cases. Covid-19 rate calculated using laboratory confirmed cases as of April 10 and seasonal flu rate calculated using CDC flu burden estimates. Sources: CDC; New England Journal of Medicine; Covid Tracking project.

The entire world has seen Hart Island images. The entire world read about no longer using inmates for this due to the excess of bodies. Fridge cars, bodies piled up in rooms, thousands of Covid deaths officially recognized by governments, but you just keep on.

Just imagine with what confidence one can read your posts on any other topic and draw the necessary conclusions.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Let me think... will I believe Wall Stree Journal or your continue numbering?
You can't entirely dismiss reality because you have to prove your point since from the start. You keep on with figures and figures (showing no respect/empathy for those who lost their dear one, but that's my idea) because you want to demonstrate (to who?) that this Covid-19 thing is an overreaction.
I already told you before: numbers are useful when you first take a look at them and use the result to develop a theory. If, on the other hand, you are seeking confirmation of your ideas at all costs ... well, then you have made a mistake from the beginning. ANd going on just make it bigger.

Median Hospital Stay
Covid-19 12 days
Seasonal Flu 3.6 days

Hospitalization rate*
Covid-19 10.64%
Seasonal flu 1.33%

Fatality Rate*
Covid-19 3.59%
Seasonal flu 0.11%

*Show hospitalizations and deaths as a percentage of total cases. Covid-19 rate calculated using laboratory confirmed cases as of April 10 and seasonal flu rate calculated using CDC flu burden estimates. Sources: CDC; New England Journal of Medicine; Covid Tracking project.

The entire world has seen Hart Island images. The entire world read about no longer using inmates for this due to the excess of bodies. Fridge cars, bodies piled up in rooms, thousands of Covid deaths officially recognized by governments, but you just keep on.

Just imagine with what confidence one can read your posts on any other topic and draw the necessary conclusions.
Flu data is a lot larger and its enormous numbers make the data far more reliable. When and if Covid19 becomes as common as the flu, which killed 61,000 Americans in a season (with a vaccine and treatment options), I’ll take the comparisons of something like mortality seriously. Early on, a virus is going to kill the weakest first and will not be able to maintain that momentum when and if stronger people become infected. You’re already seeing it.

Until we get proper testing, early mortality rates are unreliable for COVID19. I’d wager there are 10s of millions of cases in the US.

The data I referenced is real. If you don’t have underlying conditions, you aren’t very likely to die from COVID19. It could indeed be more dangerous than the flu for people with underlying issues. We can deal with that better than we are today. Healthy people shouldn’t be forced inside forever.

Whether you like it or not, the economy has to reopen and will be done with precautions, but open nonetheless. If you’re healthy, you’ll be fine.

Last edited:

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
And what if you're not.
[automerge]1587409810[/automerge]

Maybe in your bubble. I've lost relatives and friends. With no under lying conditions. This is my reality, it is very hard to take you seriously.
I’m sorry for your losses. It really doesn’t even make sense to continue because of your personal situation.

I’ll just say your personal experience does not change the data showing deaths are enormously skewed to elderly and/or those with underlying conditions. I mean, my data is based on 6,800 deaths and 150,000 cases...not trivial.

Again, I’m sorry you’ve been through something extremely negative.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Man alive, when I read things like this I think to myself how much time can Tim give to stuff like this? His calendar must be slammed. I often get overwhelmed by travel and occaisional 70+ hour work weeks being self employed. Can't imagine what it would be like for Tim as a lifestyle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.