Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Also, consider Obama took over at a horrible time in the economic cycle—I’d give it an F minus—and Trump inherited an A+ economy.

And who do we have to thank for the economic collapse of '08? Ah that's right, Democrats in congress during the early 00's pushing the banking industry to make irresponsible subprime and ARM loans to people who had no business owning houses they couldn't afford. I'm glad Obama did turn the economy around, because it was of the Democrats making.

Yeah, there seems to be a very specific type of Trump supporter in online forums who make these short, ridiculous, completely unfounded statements, and then disappear. Probably out of a sense of shame and self-preservation.

All of those things that you mentioned are likely to have a negative influence down the road. (I am happy to see an American president finally address the inequities of our trade relationship with China, but the way he’s going about it is absolutely horrible.)

It’s funny that you mention the long-term impact of the tax plan, because when people see how small their returns are this year, the **** is going to hit the fan sooner than later. The average returns so far are being calculated as 8.4% less than last year, and there is already a new hashtag going around Twitter: #GOPTaxScam.
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/taxes/under-new-trump-tax-code-average-refund-8-4-percent-n970066

Judging from your posts, you act like you're a purveyor of truth. But truth is, you don't really understand how taxes work based on your response here. To further that, you link to a news site but in doing do so reveal that you lack any true understanding of how withholdings work in relation to your personal exemptions on your W4.

Of course people are getting smaller federal returns back -- the tax break went into effect last January, a year ago. If your W4 is 0 or 1, you should have noticed a decrease in the amount of federal taxes you pay each week. People who have themselves set to 3, 4, or beyond likely wouldn't have noticed any change because they're already paying little in federal taxes by claiming exemptions. It's not a double dip scenario. You can't claim a high personal exemption and then also expect a nice tax break; doesn't work that way.

From that NBC article you linked:
"Early filers, who were expecting bigger refunds after the White House promised a $4,000 “raise” under the Trump tax plan, vented their frustrations on Twitter, using the hashtag #GOPTaxScam."

If people believed their refund was going to increase by $4,000, then that's pure ignorance. The standard and itemized deduction amounts were raised, but that does not directly translate to a refund.

By the way -- the ideal tax return (excluding adjustments to your gross income like loan interest and SALT) is zero. If people overpay on their taxes throughout the year then they're fools.

When you pay less in taxes during the course of the year and you don't change your witholdings you will get a smaller tax return. Pretty simple to understand. Completely ignoring the fact that if you are a person who gets back large sums of money in a tax return every year your'e not very intelligent with money management anyway. But yeah, that's Trumps fault.o_O

I liked your post because it's exactly right. As an HR manager, it's really astounding to me how little people know about taxes, because it's not rocket science. Furthermore, it's become evident over the years that a lot of people simply don't look at their pay stubs.

Last edited:

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Journalist : Hey how is Trump's wall coming up?
Tim : We are confident and excited about our pipeline of future products and services.™

And some dongles to go with your new wall!

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
In before the slew of anti-Tim-in-politics comments.

I see it only as good thing to have someone with Tim's experience and perspective on any board the Trump administration is managing.

I generally agree however, how many small businessses are on that group? It’s about corruption for big business.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
And who do we have to thank for the economic collapse of '08? Ah that's right, Democrats in congress during the early 00's pushing the banking industry to make irresponsible subprime and ARM loans to people who had no business owning houses they couldn't afford. I'm glad Obama did turn the economy around, because it was of the Democrats making.

Judging from your posts, you act like you're a purveyor of truth. But truth is, you don't really understand how taxes work based on your response here. To further that, you link to a news site but in doing do so reveal that you lack any true understanding of how withholdings work in relation to your personal exemptions on your W4.

Of course people are getting smaller federal returns back -- the tax break went into effect last January, a year ago. If your W4 is 0 or 1, you should have noticed a decrease in the amount of federal taxes you pay each week. People who have themselves set to 3, 4, or beyond likely wouldn't have noticed any change because they're already paying little in federal taxes by claiming exemptions. It's not a double dip scenario. You can't claim a high personal exemption and then also expect a nice tax break; doesn't work that way.

From that NBC article you linked:
"Early filers, who were expecting bigger refunds after the White House promised a $4,000 “raise” under the Trump tax plan, vented their frustrations on Twitter, using the hashtag #GOPTaxScam."

If people believed their refund was going to increase by $4,000, then that's pure ignorance. The standard and itemized deduction amounts were raised, but that does not directly translate to a refund.

By the way -- the ideal tax return (excluding adjustments to your gross income like loan interest and SALT) is zero. If people overpay on their taxes throughout the year then they're fools.

I liked your post because it's exactly right. As an HR manager, it's really astounding to me how little people know about taxes, because it's not rocket science. Furthermore, it's become evident over the years that a lot of people simply don't look at their pay stubs.
I understand taxes pretty well. But thanks for your misdirected condescension. Always nice to meet a fan.

Everything I wrote was factual. And the **** will hit the fan (in fact, it’s already started) not because people irrationally “hoped” their returns would be bigger, but because that is the pile of steaming nonsense Trump’s White House sold them. And when the effects of this bad tax cut really take root, it’s gonna get ugly.

Your interpretation of what I wrote was sloppy. Indicative of someone with an agenda.

Reactions: Dave00

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I understand taxes pretty well. But thanks for your misdirected condescension. Always nice to meet a fan.

Everything I wrote was factual. And the **** will hit the fan (in fact, it’s already started) not because people irrationally “hoped” their returns would be bigger, but because that is the pile of steaming nonsense Trump’s White House sold them. And when the effects of this bad tax cut really take root, it’s gonna get ugly.

Your interpretation of what I wrote was sloppy. Indicative of someone with an agenda.

Well nothing you wrote refutes what I said, which is indicative that you concede your post is nothing but a bunch of nonsense and lies. And then you say that I have some sort of "agenda." No agenda here, just the truth, and my knowledge of taxes and payroll. Which suffice to say based on this conversation, is clearly greater than yours.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
It’s hard to imagine that such a short post could be so wrong.

Crediting Trump with the current economy is like giving a bluebird credit for spring. The economy was on the upswing when Trump took office, and it has continued its upward trend since then, as economy’s tend to do. Most of the heavy lifting was done during the previous administration. Economies work at a glacial pace. Trump is not the cause of our current economy, he is along for the ride. The impact of his policies will be felt in a few years. And considering that we now have the highest debt in our history, and that a crash of some sort is likely coming in the near future, his economic legacy will likely be similar to George W Bush’s.

And regarding Tim Cook, your assessment couldn’t be further from the truth. During his tenure, Apple has become the most profitable company in the history of American corporations. His economic performance has been nothing short of stellar.
Which is why I hope Trump gets re-elected. He gets to deal with the consequences. As far as Cook on the board: meh. He can’t really change it and more than likely it will fall apart anyways.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
A man who uses slave labor to build his products on the cheap appointed to a workforce policy board.

El oh el....
[doublepost=1550087283][/doublepost]
Meanwhile his products have not.......
The jury is still out on that. Hasn’t been a hit parade under Tim, but honestly it wasn’t always that way in the past, either. It was many years in between the iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad.

Tim will never be the visionary that Steve was. That’s just a fact. Steve Jobs was historically great. The kind of talent that comes along once in several generations. It is unfair to burden Tim Cook with such unrealistic expectations. That doesn’t mean that he gets a free pass, however. It just means that we need to make our expectations ever so slightly more realistic. By any standard, he has done a good job of leading the transition after a one-of-a-kind genius ran of the company. But there are definitely some areas where Apple could do better.

I am disappointed that Apple missed the boat with Siri, and with realizing the potential for the connected home and ceding early leadership to Alexa and the Amazon Echo. This was a HUGE whiff—one that they will be trying to make up for a long time. And they have certainly done almost nothing in terms innovation in touch screen laptops or desktops the way Microsoft has with the Surface. So there is much for the Apple faithful to wring their hands over. But there have been some nice surprises along the way. Both the Apple Watch and AirPods have become hugely profitable success stories, and have both basically acted as proof of concept for their respective categories.

I am curious to see what’s Apple does with TV, AR, VR, transportation, etc. down the road. But the real test will be at this year’s WWDC. If Apple unveils a viable new path, capabilities, and developer kit for Siri; if they can finally develop new iOS software capabilities for iPad to help it become more productive; and if they establish a strong new evolution for HomeKit, (along with a new MacPro) things could be very interesting. If they don’t, and Apple stills trails behind Amazon and Google in voice assistant capabilities, and continues to let those companies fill people’s homes with cheap devices that search the web and make their lives easier, things could get ugly quick.

But I’m still waiting for cut & paste functionality of events in Calendar on iOS, so I have mixed feelings about when we’ll see the next great leap.

Last edited:

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017

The U.S. Department of Commerce today announced the 25 members of the Trump administration's new American Workforce Policy Advisory Board, including Apple CEO Tim Cook and IBM CEO Ginni Rometty.

19385-19730-czquuifvqaew02p-l.jpg

The advisory board's recommendations will help guide the National Council for the American Worker's efforts to establish a strategy to ensure that American students and workers have access to "affordable, relevant, and innovative education and job training that will equip them to compete and win in the global economy."

The board, co-chaired by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross and Advisor to the President Ivanka Trump, is expected to help address a "skills crisis" due to the rapidly increasing use of technology, automation, and artificial intelligence that is shaping many industries across the United States.

The full list of members:Jay Box, President, Kentucky Community and Technical College System
Walter Bumphus, President & CEO, American Association of Community Colleges
Jim Clark, President & CEO, Boys & Girls Clubs of America
Tim Cook, CEO, Apple
Tom Donohue, CEO, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Juanita Duggan, President & CEO, National Federation for Independent Business
Elizabeth Goettl, President & CEO, Cristo Rey Network
Marillyn Hewson, Chairman, President, & CEO, Lockheed Martin
Eric Holcomb, Governor, Indiana
Barbara Humpton, CEO, Siemens USA
Al Kelly, CEO, Visa
Vi Lyles, Mayor, Charlotte, North Carolina
Bill McDermott, CEO, SAP America
Sean McGarvey, President, North America's Building and Trades Unions
Doug McMillon, President & CEO, Walmart
Craig Menear, Chairman, President, & CEO, Home Depot
Michael Piwowar, Executive Director, Milken Institute
Scott Pulsipher, President, Western Governors University
Kim Reynolds, Governor, Iowa
Ginni Rometty, Chairman, President, & CEO, IBM
Scott Sanders, Executive Director, National Association of State Workforce Agencies
Johnny C. Taylor, Jr., President & CEO, Society for Human Resource Management
Jay Timmons, President & CEO, National Association of Manufacturers
Sheree Utash, President, WSU Tech
Marianne Wanamaker, Professor, University of TennesseePresident Trump established the National Council for the American Worker in July 2018 to "create and promote workforce development strategies that provide evidence-based, affordable education and skills-based training for youth and adults to prepare them for the jobs of today and of the future."

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Named to President Trump's American Workforce Policy Advisory Board

Political correctness at its finest.
[doublepost=1550089522][/doublepost]
Trump is doing a fine job on the economy. Can’t say the same about Cook and Apple though

There was not a thing said about increasing the pay scale.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Well nothing you wrote refutes what I said, which is indicative that you concede your post is nothing but a bunch of nonsense and lies. And then you say that I have some sort of "agenda." No agenda here, just the truth, and my knowledge of taxes and payroll. Which suffice to say based on this conversation, is clearly greater than yours.
Wow. You love to make things personal, slap labels on things and toss around insults, don’t cha? Reminds me of a certain carrot-colored chief executive I know.

We’re done here, Payroll King.

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017

Crediting Trump with the current economy is like giving a bluebird credit for spring. The economy was on the upswing when Trump took office, and it has continued its upward trend since then, as economy’s tend to do. Most of the heavy lifting was done during the previous administration. Economies work at a glacial pace. Trump is not the cause of our current economy, he is along for the ride. The impact of his policies will be felt in a few years. And considering that we now have the highest debt in our history, and that a crash of some sort is likely coming in the near future, his economic legacy will likely be similar to George W Bush’s.

And regarding Tim Cook, your assessment couldn’t be further from the truth. During his tenure, Apple has become the most profitable company in the history of American corporations. His economic performance has been nothing short of stellar.

Ahh, but the thousand points of light was to fix everything.
[doublepost=1550090078][/doublepost]
If you're going to blame one party you might as well blame them both.

Both are the same party and usually has a elite (Rockefellers) family or friend in charge of both.

They are supposed to have been voted out years ago.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Wow. You love to make things personal, slap labels on things and toss around insults, don’t cha? Reminds me of a certain carrot-colored chief executive I know.

We’re done here, Payroll King.

Thank you for the title, as I'd gladly put up my knowledge in this area against yours any day.

We're done, indeed. Post #2 replying to me and you've still got nothing. Now you're even playing the victim card, which is how people like yourself react when they've got nothing. Seen it all before.

No one likes to be called out on their own ignorance, but it's fair game when you put forth the lies first.

Reactions: MacNeb and Huck

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Always amusing to have a positive economy, the highest black and Hispanic employment rates, etc. explained away as caused by a previous administration and/or just a byproduct of some general upswing.

Orange man BAD! Trump is a racist! Trump hates Mexicans! Russia collusion! What else is the lunatic left going to concoct next? Trump derangement syndrome infects the dim-witted and shows no signs of stopping.
Fact: Trump is orange.

Fact: Trump has made dozens of detagatory statements about people of color.

Fact: Trump has enacted numerous policies that have negatively effected people of color.

Fact: Trump’s businesses have significant interests in Russia and with Russian nationals, and he has profited immensely from them.

Fact: Several of Trump’s closest advisors have been found guilty of collusion within Russia.

Fact: Trump is currently under investigation for collusion with Russia by a lifelong conservative Republican, Robert Muller.

Fact: the majority of new jobs being taken by black & Hispanic workers are around or below minimum wage.

The left, nor the center, nor the right need to concoct any damning statements about Trump. The facts of his presidency are damning enough.

Reactions: cote32mt

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Math: Trump 2 years, Obama 8 years. At this rate, Trump would hit 12 Trillion if he somehow manages to stay in office for 8 years. Time to sharpen your math skills.

Also, consider Obama took over at a horrible time in the economic cycle—I’d give it an F minus—and Trump inherited an A+ economy.

Republicans yell and scream about the deficit when a Democrat is President, but when they’re in office they give away so much money to the 1% it makes the Dems look like amateurs.
Nothing is linear.
But to go with your thinking, perhaps you should look at the actual numbers.
Obama averaged $1.16 trillion per year in debt increases.
Trump is currently averaging $991 billion per year.

What is more concerning is debt to GDP.
Debt to GDP ratio went from 77.3% to 103.6% under Obama.
Under Trump it has increased from 103.6% to 104.1%.

Another thing to remember, of that $22 trillion in debt, $16 trillion of it is owed to ourselves.
The feds continue to borrow against Social Security and MediCare trust funds.
Had they been left alone, we would not be facing the reality that Social Security will be gone by the time any of us qualify for it, even though we paid our whole lives into it.
Hell our retires would have been able to receive actual cost of living increases that are realistic, and not the chump change they get now.

Reactions: MacNeb and w_aldo

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Thank you for the title, as I'd gladly put up my knowledge in this area against yours any day.

We're done, indeed. Post #2 replying to me and you've still got nothing. Now you're even playing the victim card, which is how people like yourself react when they've got nothing. Seen it all before.

No one likes to be called out on their own ignorance, but it's fair game when you put forth the lies first.
You seem very cool. I think I’m going to really regret missing out on us being friends.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Fact: Trump is orange.

Fact: Trump has made dozens of detagatory statements about people of color.

Fact: Trump has enacted numerous policies that have negatively effected people of color.

Fact: Trump’s businesses have significant interests in Russia and with Russian nationals, and he has profited immensely from them.

Fact: Several of Trump’s closest advisors have been found guilty of collusion within Russia.

Fact: Trump is currently under investigation for collusion with Russia by a lifelong conservative Republican, Robert Muller.

Fact: the majority of new jobs being taken by black & Hispanic workers are around or below minimum wage.

The left, nor the center, nor the right need to concoct any damning statements about Trump. The facts of his presidency are damning enough.
Where are the sources for these "facts"?
Legit sources please.

Reactions: MacNeb and Huck

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
Amazing that people think that their tax returns is the government giving them money.

It is because you couldn’t do math you get really high returns. Taxes are lower. You got it with your paycheck.
[doublepost=1550091244][/doublepost]One note. You get less IF you live on high tax states because the rest of us are sick and tired of paying for your deductions for electing fools that tax you into oblivion.

No more. Time to pay the piper.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
The jury is still out on that. Hasn’t been a hit parade under Tim, but honestly it wasn’t always that way in the past, either. It was many years in between the iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad.

Tim will never be the visionary that Steve was. That’s just a fact. Steve Jobs was historically great. The kind of talent that comes along once in several generations. It is unfair to burden Tim Cook with such unrealistic expectations. That doesn’t mean that he gets a free pass, however. It just means that we need to make our expectations ever so slightly more realistic. By any standard, he has done a good job of leading the transition after a one-of-a-kind genius ran of the company. But there are definitely some areas where Apple could do better.

I am disappointed that Apple missed the boat with Siri, and with realizing the potential for the connected home and ceding early leadership to Alexa and the Amazon Echo. This was a HUGE whiff—one that they will be trying to make up for a long time. And they have certainly done almost nothing in terms innovation in touch screen laptops or desktops the way Microsoft has with the Surface. So there is much for the Apple faithful to wring their hands over. But there have been some nice surprises along the way. Both the Apple Watch and AirPods have become hugely profitable success stories, and have both basically acted as proof of concept for their respective categories.

I am curious to see what’s Apple does with TV, AR, VR, transportation, etc. down the road. But the real test will be at this year’s WWDC. If Apple unveils a viable new path, capabilities, and developer kit for Siri; if they can finally develop new iOS software capabilities for iPad to help it become more productive; and if they establish a strong new evolution for HomeKit, (along with a new MacPro) things could be very interesting. If they don’t, and Apple stills trails behind Amazon and Google in voice assistant capabilities, and continues to let those companies fill people’s homes with cheap devices that search the web and make their lives easier, things could get ugly quick.

But I’m still waiting for cut & paste functionality of events in Calendar on iOS, so I have mixed feelings about when we’ll see the next great leap.

You seem very cool. I think I’m going to really regret missing out on us being friends.

FWIW, your post above about Apple's missteps and product outlook is 100% spot on.

An olive branch?

Reactions: sidewinder3000

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
Where are the sources for these "facts"?
Legit sources please.
These facts are all a matter of public record. I don’t have time to teach you life. If you have an issue with a single one of the facts I listed, make your case. Otherwise, please don’t waste my, or anyone else’s, time with rhetorical red herrings.
[doublepost=1550092406][/doublepost]
FWIW, your post above about Apple's missteps and product outlook is 100% spot on.

An olive branch?
Thanks. And sure. Big of you to offer. The math of your original post about tax stuff was accurate. And I never disputed that. I just think you may have misinterpreted what I wrote and things unraveled after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: iReality85

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
One note. You get less IF you live on high tax states because the rest of us are sick and tired of paying for your deductions for electing fools that tax you into oblivion.
Funny, many of those conservative low tax states are taking a lot of federal money, which is being supplied by those awful liberal high tax states you don't like. Who, exactly are you sick and tired of?

wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

taxfoundation.org/states-rely-most-federal-aid/

Reactions: freedomlinux

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I always cringe when I see politics mentioned on technology websites. Yes I consider MacRumors a tech site or tech rumors for Apple.

Being that I'm not a registered Democrat or Republican and can't stand either party I'll say this. Since there are 50 states and a many of them are bigger than a lot of countries, I think it would make sense for the states to have more control over policies than the Federal Government. At least then we can see what works and what doesn't work. I can't imagine what's good for the people in San Francisco being good for the people in some small town in Montana. Let California be California and let Texas be Texas. Less federal government and let the states do what they think is best, we'll see what works and doesn't.

Sure, it's simplistic and there's a lots involved, but it's better than this constant fighting and bickering. I can't tell you how many times I've read about both Democrats and Republican's wanting to secede from the United States so their state could be more of what their voters want. That's not at all necessary, just reduce the FG and give more power to the states. After all each state already has it's own government, police and schools. Let them figure out what works, it would be pretty epic.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
These facts are all a matter of public record. I don’t have time to teach you life. If you have an issue with a single one of the facts I listed, make your case. Otherwise, please don’t waste my, or anyone else’s, time with rhetorical red herrings.
Sure thing skippy...

Fact: Trump is orange. (His face sure... I don't know or care to see any visual evidence regarding the rest. :eek:)

Fact: Trump has enacted numerous policies that have negatively effected people of color. (List them.)

Fact: Trump’s businesses have significant interests in Russia and with Russian nationals, and he has profited immensely from them. (Source? I bolded your comments as I'm sure many would love to see your pile of evidence. We can't even see his tax records, so this should be good.)

Fact: Several of Trump’s closest advisors have been found guilty of collusion within Russia. (Nope... bank fraud and lying... not a single one for collusion so far.)

Fact: Trump is currently under investigation for collusion with Russia by a lifelong conservative Republican, Robert Muller. (Actually he is not... his campaign is. Comey even stated that very fact to Congress under oath.)

Fact: the majority of new jobs being taken by black & Hispanic workers are around or below minimum wage. (Source?)

Reactions: MacNeb

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
Sure thing skippy...

Fact: Trump is orange. (His face sure... I don't know or care to see any visual evidence regarding the rest. :eek:)

Fact: Trump has enacted numerous policies that have negatively effected people of color. (List them.)

Fact: Trump’s businesses have significant interests in Russia and with Russian nationals, and he has profited immensely from them. (Source? I bolded your comments as I'm sure many would love to see your pile of evidence. We can't even see his tax records, so this should be good.)

Fact: Several of Trump’s closest advisors have been found guilty of collusion within Russia. (Nope... bank fraud and lying... not a single one for collusion so far.)

Fact: Trump is currently under investigation for collusion with Russia by a lifelong conservative Republican, Robert Muller. (Actually he is not... his campaign is. Comey even stated that very fact to Congress under oath.)

Fact: the majority of new jobs being taken by black & Hispanic workers are around or below minimum wage. (Source?)

He’ll provide no facts. He will, however, likely regurgitate the same tired nonsense from cnn. Or maybe from Democracy Now. They seem to be full on in the throes of TDS. Right up his alley.

Collusion!

Reactions: MacNeb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.