Tim Cook on iPod Classic: 'We Couldn't Get the Parts Anymore'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 27, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    During the Q&A portion of his interview at the WSJ.D conference tonight, Tim Cook was asked about the iPod classic, which was finally discontinued last month five years after its last update.

Cook said Apple primarily stopped making the device because it was no longer possible to source the necessary parts from anywhere in the world. Apple does not have plans to reintroduce the iPod classic due to a shrinking audience and the engineering costs that would be needed for a new version, but Cook pointed towards the iPod touch, which has almost the same amount of storage space, as a viable option.

Observers had speculated Apple was waiting for a 128 GB iPod touch before discontinuing the iPod classic, but while the iPhone and iPad have gained 128 GB options, the iPod touch has yet to do so. Still, with Apple unable to source parts for the iPod classic, the company was left with no choice but to end sales of the descendent of the original iPod.

The iPod classic's 1.8-inch hard drives were typically supplied by Toshiba, with the last generation using a 160 GB drive. Toshiba launched a 220 GB version in early 2011 that gave some hope the iPod classic might receive an update, but one never came to pass and Toshiba has long since discontinued its entire line of 1.8-inch hard drives.

Article Link: Tim Cook on iPod Classic: 'We Couldn't Get the Parts Anymore'

2. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

They have enough money to buy third world countries but can't pay someone to make some parts? BS.

3. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

4. sosull macrumors member

Thirty years from now it might be easier to see one of these in a museum than being used in public.

5. jtrauscht macrumors regular

jtrauscht

Bummer. Our iPod Classic just kicked it, and I was hoping to replace it with another. One of Apple's greatest products.

6. vjl323 macrumors regular

I guess I'm a rare breed, then, as I like the physical touch wheel for navigating songs/playlists. It's very useful in the car, and since I never know what type of music I may want to hear, it's nice to have my entire library with me. I do stream Spotify in the car, but that's simply because now I can use the buttons on my steering wheel to forward songs [but not playlists]. I actually like to drive when driving, and not have to fiddle with a touch device while the car is moving.

I may pick up a backup iPod, as they have served me well...I'm sure MacMall and the like still have some that they're anxious to unload!

7. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

But that doesn't mean that it is profitable to do so.

8. mishaneah macrumors newbie

If the volumes are high enough, a vendor would continue to make the components. Even if they are out of date. My guess is they haven't made them for years and were selling off existing stock until they ran out.

9. SusanK macrumors 68000

I don't believe him either.

10. saving107, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Sometimes I wonder if people are more concerned about commenting first than readying the article. It's a waste of money to develop an updated version with low sales.

11. rorschach, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Just because Apple could, theoretically, spend tens of millions -- or more -- to set up a factory to manufacture the iPod classic doesn't mean it wouldn't be a waste of money and resources.

Hardly anyone was buying the thing. That's the hard truth. If people were buying it, then they obviously would have invested the money and resources to keep manufacturing it. That's not to say it isn't sad to see it go. But it's simple economics. Apple is a business and there's no excuse for them to waste money just for the sake of nostalgia.

Heck, if you want to bring Steve into it, Steve was dead set against that sort of thing. Hence why we never saw a 25th Anniversary Mac or a 10th Anniversary iPod, and why there wasn't even a mention at all in 2006 about the 30th anniversary of Apple's founding.

I'm sure after the iPhone 6 demand has leveled off - probably sometime in February or March - they will quietly reconfigure the iPod touch storage options to 16, 64, and 128 GB in line with the phone and the iPad.

12. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I bought a hard drive to repair my 4th generation iPod for ±20$ last year. I guess apple can do better.
    Also, there are tutorials online how to replace hard drive to flash memory.
    Try harder Tim.

13. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Looking on the bright side! From his comments, it seems the iPod Touch might be around for a bit longer!

14. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Woah I didn't know iPod classic used a hard disk drive :eek:

15. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

That's crazy talk. How absurd can you be? Don't you know that Apple's profit is secondary to the needs of the 64 people out there who still want to buy an iPod classic? ;)

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And it doubled as a external hard drive if you knew how to set it up.

17. skyhawkmatthew macrumors member

skyhawkmatthew

18. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Too late!
    Retail has long sold out. You can find them new on ebay now for at least $100 more than MSRP.

19. timd.mackey macrumors member

The hard drive on my iPod Classic had gone bad a long time ago, but I recently resurrected the iPod using a flash conversion kit from this website. Not only does it work again, but it's now silent (no more hard drive clicking), and navigation is blazingly fast!

20. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

21. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

Saddening, for sure, but at least there was a good reason to discontinue it.

Here's hoping for an updated touch soon with a 128 GB option!

22. josh995 macrumors member

I think that has waaay more to do with the iPhone coming to life in 2007 than anything related to the founding of Apple.

Thanks for that link though, I'm having lots of fun reminiscing while reading all the comments, people had no clue what was coming! :D

23. reden macrumors 6502a

You still hanging on for an update to the Sony CD Walkman there?

24. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

How about ditching the old hard drive and use flash memory in there.

25. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

Because 128GB flash memory is quite appreciably more expensive than a 160GB hard drive. They might well wait until prices come down enough to make it reasonable for their profit margins again, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

iPod is dead, done, and over with. I'm shocked iPod classic lasted as long as it did. And the rest of the iPods are probably next.