Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Tim Cook Receives Restricted Stock Units Worth Up to $114 Million, Ensuring He'll Remain Apple's CEO Through 2025

highground

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
Gosh, I guess we can all breathe a sigh of relief they've got the golden handcuffs on such a visionary good and tight.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Why do you think that? What leadership/CEO qualities did he exhibit?
Nothing objective, because I didn’t know him personally. There was chatter a while back about his future in the company, so maybe that played into how I saw him.

PlutoMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2020
"Tim has brought unparalleled innovation.." HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAA!! That's rich!
I guess if one calls Emojis innovation, then Tim Cook is The MAN. But Apple should be a leader in technology and their products should be fresh and unique. Instead we are inundated with countless updates correcting previous poorly designed updates. Evidence can easily be found in the new iOS 14, iPad OS 14, and hopefully not but quite likely macOS Big Sur 15. It is not the company that once lead the charge of close to perfection in design and manufacturing advanced electronics. The Apple Star does not shine quite as brightly as it used to. But it can shine again with the proper leadership and an interest in things other than Emojis.

Nozuka

macrumors 68030
Jul 3, 2012
"Tim has brought unparalleled innovation.." HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAA!! That's rich!

You should read the whole sentence.

"Tim has brought unparalleled innovation and focus to his role as CEO and demonstrated what it means to lead with values and integrity."

Doesn't say anything about the products ;)

Reactions: Ukiyo Evenings

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess if one calls Emojis innovation, then Tim Cook is The MAN. But Apple should be a leader in technology and their products should be fresh and unique. Instead we are inundated with countless updates correcting previous poorly designed updates. Evidence can easily be found in the new iOS 14, iPad OS 14, and hopefully not but quite likely macOS Big Sur 15. It is not the company that once lead the charge of close to perfection in design and manufacturing advanced electronics. The Apple Star does not shine quite as brightly as it used to. But it can shine again with the proper leadership and an interest in things other than Emojis.
As a company Apple has definitely done quite poorly. ;)

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
I really thought Angela was being groomed to take over as CEO down the road. Aside from that, I believe Apple or any other company should always choose quality over diversity when selecting executives.
There is no reason why she couldn't come back. After all, Steve Jobs did just that didn't he?

We really don't know what is going on in the background but I'm sure that there is a full set of succession plans in place that are reviewed by the BOD on a regular basis.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
UK
At least these are RSUs meaning that the company has to perform well for several years before he can sell them. Not like the executives at other companies who get share awards they can sell straight away meaning they don't really care if the company does well beyond the current year.

Indeed 👌 More and more companies are taking that approach. I’ve had a variety of mechanisms, but when I accepted my current role back in June and went full time again my shares have a 12 month cliff and gradual release through vesting over the next four years.

It’s a good mechanism to keep people at a strategic level engaged and motivated.

remove earbuds and charger from iPhone box, Pay CEO 100 million dollars. Ok, now I see it
More a case of “you see it” but can’t comprehend what you are seeing and are drawing the wrong conclusions.

Meanwhile, the employees at the bottom of the totum pole received less RSUs, despite the company doing well. Thanks, Apple.
And? Why not actually expand on that and say why you think that is, or why that shouldn’t happen. At the moment it comes across like some baseless moan.

Sorry but this really annoys me that they give out so many shares to Apple employees and it’s the customer who pays that’s why we pay so much for the goddamn phones And every other item because they give them millions of dollars of shares that they don’t need because they have multi millions of dollars already from their own wages and I don’t see any innovation happening at Apple in the last couple of years there behind everybody else in their screens 5G and other things. Who needs that much money I know he gives away a lot but not nearly as much is what he has and I don’t think anyone’s wage is worth that much no matter how big the company or what they did to it. I just think it’s ridiculous almost as bad as US president.
You really don’t understand how it works do you? So, if you invest in a company, what you you prefer? A company that just tries out everything by throwing in the latest parts of the parts bin, and gets a moderate return. Or a company that is in tune with its target market, gets good working integrated products out, and has a much larger profit compared to its tiny market share.

This is about creating a valuable company, about generating return for shareholders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naraxus

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2016
I want some of your drugs. :p

If these guys who think Tim Cook is so overpaid would just catch half a clue, they'd see that they could just renounce Apple and its ecosystem, refuse to buy any more iProducts......
Haven't bought an iPhone in five years, haven't bought a Mac in nearly ten. The only thing I've bought recently are a song or two from iTunes. Moved on to Android years ago. Love the freedom and openness of putting apps that I want on MY devices (what a concept I know) and not what Timmy TELLS me I can have on my devices.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Both of which have actually created and achieved something, though. Unlike Tim whose only achievement is to milk customers for the same products.
So only founder CEOs are worthy? My gosh that seems a bit out of touch with the way it really works. Take a look at it from an investor perspective, he has achieved a lot.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't grudge him it, but I grudge paying for devices that have so many issues, so often.

We await your list of 6 examples, since it's apparently "so many issues so often".

Tick, tick, tick...

Congrats Tim, but please remind yourself of Apple's roots and stop being so boring with product design. Get creative!

• Disagree
Reactions: LeeW

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Compare today's iPhone with the 2007 iPhone. Very similar, but VERY DIFFERENT. Current iPhones are 100x more capable, in the same sleek package. I call that a huge achievement.

Reactions: NetMage

TiggrToo

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
How much longer can he still spear head Jobs' ideas. Its been almost 10 years, surely they are nearing the end of Steves product map. Apple TV was a big thing of his.

What nonsense. Jobs had almost zero input into the Apple Watch, and the AirPods were never on his roadmap.

You’ve no idea what was on his roadmap, quit making it sound like you’re some sort of Apple Insider...

Reactions: SuperCachetes

LeeW

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
We await your list of 6 examples, since it's apparently "so many issues so often".

MBP 13" - My Device, Faulty Keyboard, let's face it, well-known issue.
Mac Mini - My Device, Bluetooth, another well-known issue, ongoing.
Mac Mini - My Device, HDMI, firmware issue, unusable from Catalina. Still Not resolved.
MBP 16" - My Device, Turns into an oven using an external monitor 100+ page thread on the issue in this forum.
Watch S3 - Daughters watch face cracked down one side, repair program for this, known issue.
iPad Air - Wife this time, the screen went black stopped working, again known issue

I can give you more, you asked for 6. Happy now. But you will have another smart ass reply no doubt.

laptech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Apple Watch, AirPods, FaceID. The iPad Pro as it is today.

He’s done pretty well.

and yes. He’s rich.

Member Front_242 said 'innovation' in their post, not 'Copy'

Apple Watch - Copied idea from other manufactureres who made smartwatches back in the 1990's and early 2000's
FaceID - Copied idea from Android who introduced facial recognition in their OS 'Ice Cream Sandwich' back in 2011

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
Member Front_242 said 'innovation' in their post, not 'Copy'

Apple Watch - Copied idea from other manufactureres who made smartwatches back in the 1990's and early 2000's
FaceID - Copied idea from Android who introduced facial recognition in their OS 'Ice Cream Sandwich' back in 2011

Do not make the mistake of confusing the simplistic insecure systems that Android had with the 3D based process controlled by a neural engine and protected with a Secure Enclave.

And who are you to complain about Apple “copying” Android then to totally give them a free pass on their smartwatch platform?

The tech industry is replete with iterative improvements: heck both Android and the iPhone were preceded by both Windows Mobile and Blackberry. Again, not seeing you criticize Google for that

Your bias is very very obvious and as such your arguments are meaningless.

Reactions: NetMage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.