Tim Cook Reflects on Steve Jobs, Apple Watch Saving Lives, and Politics on The David Rubenstein Show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Bloomberg Television today published a full-length interview between Apple CEO Tim Cook and David Rubenstein, one of three billionaire founders of private equity firm Carlyle Group, following a brief preview last month. The conversation took place at Cook's alma mater Duke University on May 13.

[​IMG]

Cook reflected on a wide range of topics, including his education and career path, relationship with the late Steve Jobs, the Apple Watch's life-saving capabilities, politics, and social issues such as privacy, immigration, and equality.

On the subject of Apple's earnings:
    Cook's view on billionaire investor Warren Buffett recently purchasing an additional 75 million shares in Apple:
    On the subject of Apple Park:
    Cook reflecting on leaving Compaq to work at Apple:
    On the subject of succeeding Steve Jobs as CEO of Apple:
    On the iPhone:
    On the Apple Watch and its life-saving capabilities:
    On the topics of privacy and equality:
    Cook on why he publicly revealed he is gay:
    Cook's recent meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump:
    On the subject of how Apple plans to use its cash holdings:
    Cook's response to ever considering running for President of the United States:
    The full interview will air on The David Rubenstein Show: Peer-to-Peer Conversations, which explores successful leadership.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Reflects on Steve Jobs, Apple Watch Saving Lives, and Politics on The David Rubenstein Show

2. centauratlas, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

"I’m not political." Sure.

He is exactly right about privacy being a fundamental right, and exactly right about someone's sexual preference/orientation being irrelevant, but saying he isn't political just doesn't match with reality.

Hopefully Apple doubles down on privacy and encryption, but works to increase reliability and reduce bugs as much or more. Things like the open root login and the like are just inexcusable.

edit: It would be nice to see some updated Macs too! - Mini, MBP etc. (Pro EARLY 2019???)

3. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

After that WWDC Keynote its never been more clear that Apple cares far more about appearing progressive than hiring people that will actually produce something of quality.

4. ThunderSkunk, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Tim seems Comfy. I popped in an Apple Store the other day while traveling with an odd hardware problem. They scrambled and gave me a fix, on a machine well past its warranty, and free of charge. That was really nice. While I waited, I noticed a distinct lack of computers on display. Tables of Phones and iPads, and watches under a glass case, homepods along the front wall, an apple tv sitting there, and what must have been thousands of colorful cases, covers, and watchbands.

At the back fo the store, one table had 6 laptops on it, one table had people sitting waiting for other people in line, and along one wall was an imac, and along the other was a mac pro.

It was a bit jarring to see, but I guess that's the business now.

5. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502

Greenmeenie

I’m not a watch guy...so i’ve never been tempted to run out and buy an Apple watch like i am so many of their other products. But i think i’ll get one eventually, cause i am athletic & health conscious, and i do like the health features. Still, i plan to wait a couple more generations until they perfect it more.

6. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Depends what you mean by progressive. Everyone always thinks whatever they're doing is progress.
    ...and I suppose with time only moving in one direction, all things are progressing whether we like them or not.

7. NMBob macrumors 6502a

8. imicca macrumors regular

imicca

David Rubenstein makes one of the best shows, period. I have learned so much from his other interviews.
    If I am not mistaken, Apple now has strategy to remove "i" brand from their company. Also, there was a leak (can't find it on web now) about Apple failing to copyright/trademark iWatch, so they could not name it such.

9. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

Rubenstein: "So, Tim, where's the new Mac mini?"

10. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

I hadn't regularly worn a watch since I was a kid, but went out last Nov and got the Series 3 LTE Apple watch, primarily for the health/fitness stuff. I like the heart monitor and so far am happy with it. Siri is handy on it for unlocking the door as we pull into the driveway and some of the weather notifications (e.g. "lightning struck within X miles of your location") are good.

So far I am pleased with it. I'd like more health related things like a continuous heart monitor, O2 saturation, etc. but no doubt by the "Series 9" or something they will be there.

11. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Is that why they're still running the company like it's okay that the iPhone is their biggest product?

12. Zenithal macrumors 603

You can hire both progressive and competent developers. If a company like Apple hired only progressives over competent people, I sincerely doubt they'd continue being successful year in and year out. Say what you will of Cook not being like Jobs, but he's been at the helm for years and even I think Jobs would be proud of him. No one will ever match Steve Jobs.

Don't forget the Pro. Always remember the Pro.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2018 ---
    I definitely understand your concerns. But Apple can put together any combination of components and sell it. The only money they have to spend is designing a case with aesthetic value while remaining functional. True mobile R&D is where the big money is nowadays.

13. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Inb4 the sea of "the CEO of the world's wealthiest company should stay out of politics at a moment in our history with some of the strangest politics witnessed in generations" comments.

14. Brenster macrumors 6502a

Thoughtful questions from Rubenstein and considered answers from Cook. Hopefully the full interview will be accessible online from the UK.

15. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

So, Tim is really concerned about LGBT and religious minorities being ostracized, and yet he has no problem with opening Apple stores in Saudi Arabia. Ah, I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning.

16. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Someone please ask why are they building sealed computers that are not friendly to the environment. And when you are on that, please ask about the damn keyboard. All these interviews are just made to make these guys look good. No spine in it at all.

17. Zenithal macrumors 603

We care about non-intrusive government and not executing people, but we're total pals with the Saudis, too. We have a free press, whereas some countries kill journalists and sweep it under the rug. We still consider them allies. Picking your battles is a larger part of the equation.

18. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

I hope he has put competent people in charge of running the company, it’s obvious he doesn’t have time for doing his job.

19. Brenster macrumors 6502a

The iPhone was the exact right product at the exact right time just as the competition had stagnated and were failing in a big way. The same money, effort and resources could be poured into a similar product and it would still not be as revolutionary as the iPhone was.

The mac has not succumbed to the same fate as the iPod and Airport lines as they’re still big sellers and revenue generators. It is inarguable though that the iOS line is an order or two of magnitude bigger and therefore attracts the bulk of innovation efforts etc. My daily drivers are an iPhone X, a 10.5 iPP w/SKC and a 1st gen Watch. The <5% of tasks that I can’t get done between these 3 is when I pick up the MacBook I share with my wife.

Apple will be spending to try and work out what the Next Big Thing is. Even if they figure it out, the chances of making something that eclipses the iPhone in impact and/or sales is pretty remote.

Having watched Steve’s iPhone intro keynote many time (and since watched it with my son who was born mere days after it), you can tell from Steve’s manner and confidence that this was something that would take the earth shattering impacts of the GUI & the internet and combine them in a device that would supplant the desktop PC as THE means of getting online and getting stuff done. As much as I’d like to see something of that impact again, I’m not sure we ever will.

20. snowboarder macrumors 6502

"I didn’t even know the numbers that you just quoted."

Wait, so he is not a creative guy and he is not a numbers guy? So who is he?

21. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

I know this is going to hurt, but apple needs to move on from Steve Jobs. No other company has a problem 'moving on' from a founder like apple.

When you have $260 billion in cash, what in the world do you do with it?

22. Zenithal macrumors 603

I sometimes envision people on this site have shrines dedicated to the late Jobs somewhere in their homes. It makes it less weird to read some of the posts on here. Or more weird depending on your outlook.

23. ctg7w6 macrumors regular

Lol, “I’m not political.”?? I’m not a huge fan of Tim Cook, but even if I were, this statement would make me seriously mistrust him. It is an outright lie. What else does he lie about? I don’t like his politics but I do respect people that are honest and open about their politics and positions even if I don’t agree with them. Those who hide it, however, I detest.

24. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Horrible re-hash interview. The topics people want most are: where are the Macs and when are they coming and what will the specs or designs be?

Yea yeah, not political; yeah yeah, watch saved lives; yeah yeah, Tim Cook met with Trump.

The iPhone is losing charm, everyone knows it, so bring in the next era of computing and ramp us up.

25. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Their customer satisfaction ratings and steady market share despite pricing seem to indicate otherwise.