Tim Cook Talks Privacy, Steve Jobs, and the 'Difference Between Preparation and Readiness' in Stanford Commencement Address

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 16, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook delivered the commencement address at Stanford University today, sharing his thoughts on privacy, the need to always "be a builder," and how the loss of Steve Jobs made him learn the "real, visceral difference between preparation and readiness."

On the subject of privacy, Cook acknowledged that so many of our modern technological inventions have come out of Silicon Valley, but that recent years have seen "a less noble innovation: the belief that you can claim credit without accepting responsibility."

Cook stressed the importance of not accepting that we must give up privacy in order to enjoy advances in technology, arguing that there's much more at stake than just our data.
    [​IMG]
    Image credit: L.A. Cicero/Stanford University

Shifting focus to the aspirations of today's graduates, Cook encouraged each of them to "be a builder," regardless of their chosen occupation.
    Finally, Cook turned his speech to the topic of Steve Jobs, who famously stood on the same stage 14 years ago to give the commencement address.

Cook related the story of his conviction that Jobs would recover from his cancer, even as he handed the reins of Apple over to Cook. Drawing from what he learned in those dark days, Cook emphasized that "your mentors may leave you prepared, but they can't leave you ready."

Calling it the "loneliest I've ever felt in my life," Cook reflected on feeling the heavy expectations of those around him, noting that he eventually he realized he needed "be the best version" of himself and not let those around him and their expectations dictate his life.
    Today's speech at Stanford was just one of several commenencement addresses Cook has given in recent years, including Tulane University just last month, as well as his graduate alma mater Duke University last year, MIT in 2017, George Washington University in 2015, and his undergraduate alma mater Auburn University in 2010.

Article Link: Tim Cook Talks Privacy, Steve Jobs, and the 'Difference Between Preparation and Readiness' in Stanford Commencement Address

2. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Wow, Stanford does their commencement late.

3. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

4. Zalmox macrumors newbie

listen to this about big tech censorship and dystopian future they are preparing

5. newyorksole macrumors 68040

We still name drop a lot of people who died. So? Are you gonna stop name dropping your loved one or someone who heavily influenced the world?

6. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

He’s kind of integral to Apple and should be remembered.

Cook worked with Jobs very closely, offered him part of his liver, and was respected tremendously by Jobs.

7. dannyyankou, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019

dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

He gave a pretty memorable commencement speech at Stanford, and was the last CEO. It would’ve felt weird if he didn’t mention him.

8. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Ooh, boy, that speech is going to ruffle a lot of feathers.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2019 ---
    Yeah, no. Name dropping is usually done by people pretending they know someone famous in order to advance their position.

Cook actually knew Jobs and worked very closely with him for years, and was hand-picked by Jobs to lead Apple after he left. Therefore, by definition, it’s impossible for Cook to “name-drop” Jobs.

9. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

10. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Why is this clown repeatedly speaking at commencements? Are students actually excited to hear Tim Cook speak... on their big day, of all days?

...Is this his equivalent of a 'book deal'?

So many questions, so few answers.

11. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Today I want to tell you three stories from my life. That’s it. No big deal. Just three stories...

12. MauiPa macrumors 6502

build, don't tear down. Yes, I believe the students were excited to hear from Tim Cook, as they probably would be from any successful speaker on their day venturing to begin their own success.

13. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

That’s nice, but when is he going to talk about stepping down?

14. anthlis macrumors newbie

I thought that was a poignant speech.

"There are too many people who want credit without responsibility.
    Too many who show up for the ribbon cutting without building anything worth a damn."

So very true.

15. chopdog macrumors member

It feels like Tim is using, more and more, commencement speeches to promote 'principals' that are actually also marketing messages driving product sales at Apple..

Or maybe it's just the zeitgeist.

16. mistasopz macrumors 6502

Bleh. Tim Apple talking about fake news and hate speech.

17. osaga macrumors 6502

Enjoyable. I find it hard to understand most of what Tim says during interviews and he tends to recycle talking points, I think because he's shielding himself from the expectation many people might have that his genius should approach that of his predecessor. But this speech was a bit more concise than usual. I was glad he talked about his friend and mentor Steve, it was very appropriate. The last bit of his speech about avoiding trying to fit expectations was a recycle of Steve's comment to him that he do with the company what he thinks is right and not what he thinks Steve would have wanted. Tim's comprehension of integrity is rare and I think it was a wise choice for him to lead Apple.

18. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

True. It’s hilarious to see how triggered some of the MR Apple-hate posters are by Mr. Cook’s incredible wealth, success and power.

They must really feel so, so small in comparison. They try to tear someone else down to build themselves up, but news flash: it doesn’t work that way. Instead of hanging around an Internet forum constantly complaining, why not spend that time on something constructive? Like working on your own success, instead of feeling like a loser compared to those you envy.

19. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Decent speech, but wrong venue.

Plus I don't agree wholesale with his points.

He's saying we censor ourselves knowing we're being watched.

But I remember the days before the Internet going to the library to search for books on subjects you didn't want the librarian to know about. Every book you checked out had your name printed in a card in a jacket on the back, along with everyone who had checked out the book before you.

Or what about shopping for indelicate items in a drug store versus buying from home?

I still think the Internet is generally a more anonymous place than the "real world."

There's a reason some authoritarian governments restrict the Internet so much. It's because it gives people the power to talk to each other and organize without being under surveillance of their government. Maybe they're under some app or web-site's surveillance instead, but you have to pick a poison and I'd pick Google, Reddit, Twitter, etc., over an authoritarian government.

20. developer13245 macrumors 6502a

developer13245

His real message should have been:

"Why did you waste money on college? You all should have been skilled programmers before graduating High School!"

21. YaBe, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019

YaBe macrumors 6502a

YaBe

Blah blah blah Steve Jobs, blah blah blah privacy, blah blah blah pipeline.....

Oh I forgot, Dongles, adapters and stands!

22. brenton289 macrumors member

No one threw any rotten fruit? Strange. I guess they couldn't even afford any rotten fruit after buying all those dongles.

23. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Very important speech. Am shocked at how complacent people are about privacy and security. The new generation especially are lulled into a false sense of freedom. I’ve heard them say stupid things like ‘So what if my data is stolen I’m nobody anyway’ and ‘So what if they can read all my private data I haven’t committed a crime?’

They forget that crimes can be created anytime. Had an abortion? That can be made into a crime. Worshipped in the wrong direction? That can be made into a crime. Don’t want to worship or follow a religion? That can be made into a crime? Insulted a leader. That can be a crime.

Now this week that awful company FB wants to launch a creepto currency. Anyone who spends using this will have their spending recorded permanently and publicly. All that spending data to build up profiles about users. How much money do they have? What do they buy? Who did they send money to? Where does that person live? Did they have good security? How can I rob them? Public ledgers like that endanger people even more and because their creators distribute the technology they don’t have to take responsibility for what happens.

24. Jsameds macrumors 68040

I would be.

Would you prefer Kanye or Logan Paul instead?

25. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2019

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

It’s not anonymous at all. Even if you want to sit behind Tor your ISP records everything and sells it on.