Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Is that why Apple is expected to rake in 84 billion this quarter?
Did not they make $88.3B previous year (same quarter)? That's not good (especially for AAPL stock). Also, when people talk about China "slowdown" they refer to the fact that China growth slows down. So their economy still grows just slower. This can't explain Apple failure in China.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Have you seen the latest from Huawei lately? Seen the leaks of the galaxy S10?
Then look at the specs and compare them to the Apple offerings and compare price. Also compare the level of services outside the USA. Apple is in no way competitive anymore.
Ok...just did it. The A12 for one crushes all of those.

The iPhone is also faster, more secure, has better support, is better looking, has better resale value, longer usable life, and runs iOS.

Services? I'm not moving my stuff off iCloud, Apple Music is great, and AppleCare supports any damage to my devices. I also LOVE ApplePay. Love.

Exactly why do I want Google services?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I love when a company reports 1 negative to their otherwise extremely positive story and people start saying "SEE, SEE....THE WHOLE BUSINESS MODEL IS FLAWED.".
This. People need to stop acting like the whole reason for this estimated revenue drop was due to Apple doing something that they didn’t like a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Baymowe335

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
This. People need to stop acting like the whole reason for this estimated revenue drop was due to Apple doing something that they didn’t like a couple of years ago.

Hm. Let's see.

A couple of years ago:

2016: cheapest iPhone (SE) starting 399
2018: cheapest iPhone (XR) starting 749

till 2012: Mac mini HD user replaceable.
2018: SSD non-replaceable

2015: Macbook Pro SSD user replaceable
2018: Nope.

Mac Pro up to 2013:
Literally anything user replaceable
2018: don't even ask about Mac Pro

What did not change:
Macbook * SSD upgrades prices. Pretty much like its 2014
Siri still on 2013 level

Last edited:
Reactions: HJM.NL

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
90 day clocks are also kind of funny. Maybe they’ll have a really good January and things will even out. You kind of need to look at all of 2019 to see what happened.

Even if it drops slightly, Apple is still making record eps.
[doublepost=1546902904][/doublepost]
Hm. Let's see.

A couple of years ago:

Mac Pro up to 2013:

What did not change:
Macbook * SSD upgrades. Pretty much like its 2014
So do you even know the revenue numbers? All of the “bad” decisions they made resulted in $266B in revenue in 2018 versus $230B in 2017.

Explain that.

We have literally one quarter where revenue dropped 7% and it was explained very clearly that is was iPhone in China. It was disclosed the entire drop was based on iPhone in China, so none of the other businesses.

You want numbers for those?

Q12019

19% growth overall for non iPhone biz
Double digit iPad growth
Record Mac revenue
50% wearables growth
25% services growth

So all your examples are proven wrong with data and the iPhone issue is only 1 quarter old and limited to China.

Apple grew revenue to $266B in 2018, which was 16% revenue growth over 2017.

QED

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
We have literally one quarter where revenue dropped 7% and it was explained very clearly that is was iPhone in China. It was disclosed the entire drop was based on iPhone in China, so none of the other businesses.

You want numbers for those?

QED

Wait and see. I don't buy the China story one tiny bit. Yes, it was "explained", but not particularly convincingly. Besides, the China revenue nubers do not explain at all why Apple focuses solely on one product line alone, where market saturation is about to be reached. Responsible managements try to diversify if market saturation for its main product is foreseeable. Apple's management did nothing of the sort.

Again: let's wait and see. Based on the current product line and pricing strategy I'd predict revenue will continue to drop.

Let's wait till maybe July, how Q1 & Q2 turned out for Apple.

Reactions: HJM.NL

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
!

Having said that, I wish I was concerned over only $84 billion revenue in a single quarter :eek:
it's not about the net revenue. It's about the fact it was expected to grow and it decreased.

It's 84B today, next quarter is 78B and so on.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Wait and see. I don't buy the China story one tiny bit. Yes, it was "explained", but not particularly convincingly. Besides, the China revenue nubers do not explain at all why Apple focuses solely on one product line alone, where market saturation is about to be reached. Responsible managements try to diversify if market saturation for its main product is foreseeable. Apple's management did nothing of the sort.

Again: let's wait and see. Based on the current product line and pricing strategy I'd predict revenue will continue to drop.

Let's wait till maybe July, how Q1 & Q2 turned out for Apple.
So now Cook is lying? He can go to jail for that. They literally SAID:

“and over 100 percent of our year-over-year worldwide revenue decline, occurred in Greater China.

Apple set revenue records in the US, Canada, Korea, and many countries in Europe, INCLUDING Germany where people say Apple is struggling bc of QCOM.

I’m so sick to of you doom and gloomers with NO facts. “Wait and see” is not anything substantive. You’re basically saying Apple will fail eventually, but that’s not what the numbers say. I just gave you all the numbers.

Again, Apple DOES not focus on “1 product line.” It’s just that product is so MASSIVE it drawfs everything else. However, the services business is likely to hit $45B this year, so that is becoming quite large...to the tune of as much revenue as the ENTIRE Walt Disney company. Everyone one of Apples other business segments is larger than most companies in the S&P500.

But nothing matters, right? We will just wait for Apple to fail and then all you people that know nothing will say you called it.

Reactions: MacClueless

MacClueless

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2006
I don't think there's anything wrong with their pricing, in fact I think it's too low. There should be a super premium model at a Rolex like price to maintain exlcusivity.
[doublepost=1546905854][/doublepost]
I want more value for money, not cheaper products. I would rather they gave an extra warranty of all of its product than lower its price by $100.

Me too! The pricing is fine.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
I’m so sick to of you doom and gloomers with NO facts. “Wait and see” is not anything substantive. You’re basically saying Apple will fail eventually, but that’s not what the numbers say. I just gave you all the numbers.

But matters, right? We will just wait for Apple to fail and then all you people that know nothing will say you called it.

You talking about facts is actually hillarious. Facts? Check Apple stock, those tell you some facts. Denial never is a good strategy.

You even deny to even try to comprehend what I wrote. Noone said Apple is doomed. However, the curve is not exactly pointing upwards these days. Nuff said. Anything else is opinon.

The future will tell, its as simple as that

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
You talking about facts is actually hillarious. Facts? Check Apple stock, those tell you some facts. Denial never is a good strategy.

You even deny to even try to comprehend what I wrote. Noone said Apple is doomed. However, the curve is not exactly pointing upwards these days. Nuff said. Anything else is opinon.

The future will tell, its as simple as that
Dude, do you own stocks? Any clue how the last 90 days have gone for the market? Apple also traded at $90 in the last 2 years. When you own a stock, it goes up and down. The question is, how has it returned over time?

Markets do a lot of strange things in the short term. Have you followed AMZN, NFLX, NVDA, GOOGL, AMD or the market in general? Not so great the last 3 months, with some I mentioned down MORE than AAPL. And Apple should be down for their poor performance in China. But 35%? Lol...

The future will tell until it’s the present and you will just say, “the future will tell” until you’ve sat out the entire rally and collected your 1% return on your CDs...

“These days?” You mean like the last 90 days that things aren’t pointing up for iPhone in China? There were many areas that are pointing way up.

My cost basis is much lower, so I can wait.

Want to talk facts? AAPL has handily outperformed the market for 10 years and the recent drop doesn’t change that. Apple simply has outperformed the general market.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hm. Let's see.

A couple of years ago:

Mac Pro up to 2013:

What did not change:
Macbook * SSD upgrades prices. Pretty much like its 2014
Siri still on 2013 level

Your point being?

That Apple isn’t earning more money because they haven’t released a new Mac Pro?

eco7777

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
I just wish a phone could give me back all the music iTunes stole from me

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Your point being?

That Apple isn’t earning more money because they haven’t released a new Mac Pro?
Point being? The post was a response to the claim that Apple at present is acting just like they did a couple of years ago.

Point is I disagree; Apple changed some key things. They lock down their hardware. Their prices went from premium to ridiculous. Computers seem to have become little more a hobby, not unlike aTV.

That's what changed. That's the reason for the (very justified imo) criticism Apple faces. That's what repels quite some formerly very loyal customers

Funglebuddy

macrumors newbie

tim_cook_headshot_glasses-250x286.jpg
Apple CEO Tim Cook today plans to hold an "all-hands meeting" with employees to alleviate any fears surrounding the company's revision to its Q1 2019 earnings expectations.

According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, who spoke to a person familiar with the matter, Cook plans to address concerns from Apple staff by taking questions from workers during Thursday's meeting.

Further details on the meeting have yet to be disclosed, but Cook will likely seek to dampen internal worries about what the revised earnings guidance means for the company's plans as it gears up for another year.

In his earnings call on Wednesday, Cook revealed that Apple expected to end the first quarter of 2019 with $84 billion in revenue, which is down over 7 percent from the $89 billion to $93 billion forecast the company predicted at the end of the last fiscal quarter 2018.

In interview with CNBC, Cook said trade tensions with the U.S. put additional pressure on the Chinese economy, which led to less traffic in stores and lower sales. He also blamed fewer carrier subsidies, a stronger dollar, and the $29 battery replacement program, suggesting that those factors led to fewer iPhone upgrades than expected.

Writing for Bloomberg, Gurman claims that stagnating smartphone sales mean Apple needs to look beyond the iPhone as its core product, but that the company shouldn't rely on its AirPods or Apple Watch lines because they're exclusively tied to iPhone use.

Likewise, Apple's services business is providing an increasingly sizable income, but the long-term success of its services also relies heavily on iPhone usage. In other words, Apple may need to look at new product categories if it is to successully reverse the damage of its iPhone sales problem, which is currently limited to China. The issue however is that potential major launches like AR-glasses and self-driving car technology still seem years away.
Apple plans to discuss its final earnings results during the company's first quarter 2019 conference call on Tuesday, January 29.

Article Link: Tim Cook to Address Q1 Earnings Concerns at All-Hands Meeting With Apple Staff

I wonder if this was one of the reasons Angela Ahrendts left her position....just a thought

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.