Tim Cook to Headline D10 Conference on May 29

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD today announced that Apple CEO Tim Cook will be the opening keynote speaker at the D10 Conference scheduled for late May. Cook will appear in an evening interview session on Tuesday, May 29 in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.
Walt Mossberg and I could not be more thrilled to announce that Tim Cook, CEO of Apple, will be the opening-night speaker at our 10th D: All Things Digital conference.

It will be Cook's first appearance at D, as well as his first time being onstage at an event not run by Apple or for investors since he was named CEO last August.
Steve Jobs made a number of appearances at the D conferences, including a notable joint appearance with Bill Gates at D5 in 2007 and his final appearance there at D8 in 2010.

Article Link: Tim Cook to Headline D10 Conference on May 29

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I'd like to see Apple shift its focus back on making computers. Enough with this iOS/iToy crap, theres still a lot of old school mac users that do actual work on them.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I'd like to see Apple shift its focus back on making computers. Enough with this iOS/iToy crap, theres still a lot of old school mac users that do actual work on them.
The iOS/iToy crap is where Apple makes most of it's profits so I don't think you'll see a shift in focus.

appsforkids

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2012
US
This is very interesting, he did a good job with the iPad launch, would be crazy if he actually announced a product at D but I have my doubts.

brohan711

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
So long as that vile women interviewer doesnt ask any more stupid questions.... Ill be watching old cookie. I want to see how he reacts to questions about his leadership. Never got into his head as much on the subject.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
Irvine, CA
Yay! Time for a boring ass speech by a man who should have always stayed behind the curtain. Apple needs to appoint a showman. Someone who uses tone and a slow reveal to announce products - much like Steve and how he knew how to get a crowd going. Even Phil is better at this than Cook. :mad:

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Yet, there are a significantly greater number of people who do significant, actual work on their iOS devices.

Sk8-Rat

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012

Anybody have the image tim cook is standing in front?

I have been looking for days all to no avail.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Tim has been getting better but he is certainly no Steve, or Xander Soren. By the way, where's Scott Forstall? Any rumors about him? He was a no-show at the new iPad event, though I guess there wasn't anything new about iOS itself.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

AllThingsD today announced that Apple CEO Tim Cook will be the opening keynote speaker at the D10 Conference scheduled for late May. Cook will appear in an evening interview session on Tuesday, May 29 in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.Steve Jobs made a number of appearances at the D conferences, including a notable joint appearance with Bill Gates at D5 in 2007 and his final appearance there at D8 in 2010.

Article Link: Tim Cook to Headline D10 Conference on May 29
Wow the Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes is within easy bicycle ride distance from my house. It's a brand new development that was build on the site of an old theme part called "marine Land" which was a 50s version of Sea World. They did a nice job. It looks good and has some of the best scuba diving of any place in the So Cal. mainland. They allow the public on the grounds, even have public parking and allow people to climb down the buff to the ocean. Being on the "back" side of PV it feels remote but it's not. This is the first time I've read about anything major happening there.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Yay! Time for a boring ass speech by a man who should have always stayed behind the curtain. Apple needs to appoint a showman. Someone who uses tone and a slow reveal to announce products - much like Steve and how he knew how to get a crowd going. Even Phil is better at this than Cook. :mad:
At this point, Apple has enough credibility and product success that people arent going to buy more or less of the product over the long term based on the performance at the product introduction. Very few people outside of the media and the hardcore fans actually watch the presentation. By the time CNN and other new sources tell the public, it doesnt matter how fascinating the speaker was as long as he presents a great product. Seriously, great products sell a lot and that's the reason Apple is doing so well right now.

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Steve jobs use to announce things at macworld. Steve was also never the keynote speaker at D.

Steve is gone. Tim Cook makes the rules now. An announcement should not be ruled out.
The only thing Tim will talk about is the wonderful world of the Apple ecosystem and the upcoming WWDC.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Gates and Jobs are influential people. Let's see how Tim Cook will fair. He does have a monumental publicity burden on his shoulders. So far, he seems to be doing quite well. What I respect is that he doesn't try to copy Steve Jobs's style.
I'm not so sure. He may not be trying to, but at the iPad product release I could see a lot of the presentation being very much in Steve's style. But since Apple itself embodies everything that was Steve Jobs, it's not surprising and not necessarily a bad thing. Jobs made Apple what it is today. Anyone would be a fool not to emulate at least some of what Steve did to get it there.

----------

Yet, there are a significantly greater number of people who do significant, actual work on their iOS devices.
Sorry, but in this "Post PC Era", the old school will be left behind by the new school. At some point they will however find a way to bring everyone into the fold.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The iOS/iToy crap is where Apple makes most of it's profits so I don't think you'll see a shift in focus.
And a lot of the profits it does make on computers come from people who originally owned iOS/iToy crap and would have never considered buying a Mac otherwise.