Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Goofy concepts like “heteropanic” is further evidence gay and sexual identity politics is far, far removed from the mainstream and not even worth paying attention to, except maybe to mock. Or pity.
"heteropanic" LOL. Now its just getting silly. I guess "homophobia" has been so overused that it has lost all meaning so now new words have to be created. Let me check with the Ministry of Truth and see if they have an official definition of "heteropanic".

Here in Indiana we once had a State Representative who claimed from the microphone on the floor of the Indiana House that, and I quote, "as an African American woman, I know racism and discrimination when I see it and this bill is RACIST". The bill she was talking about (and proceeded to vote against) didn't have anything to do with "hate crimes" or minority groups. It was a bill that raised the maximum speed limit for passenger vehicles on rural, divided highways in Indiana to 70 mph but only allowed commercial trucks a maximum speed limit of 65 mph (due to safety concerns about the longer stopping distance required for tanker trucks and semis traveling at high speed). That is when I knew the word "racism" meant whatever the person speaking wanted it to mean - and therefore it meant nothing.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
"heteropanic" LOL. Now its just getting silly. I guess "homophobia" has been so overused that it has lost all meaning so now new words have to be created. Let me check with the Ministry of Truth and see if they have an official definition of "heteropanic".

Here in Indiana we once had a State Representative who claimed from the microphone on the floor of the Indiana House that, and I quote, "as an African American woman, I know racism and discrimination when I see it and this bill is RACIST". The bill she was talking about (and proceeded to vote against) didn't have anything to do with "hate crimes" or minority groups. It was a bill that raised the maximum speed limit for passenger vehicles on rural, divided highways in Indiana to 70 mph but only allowed commercial trucks a maximum speed limit of 65 mph (due to safety concerns about the longer stopping distance required for tanker trucks and semis traveling at high speed). That is when I knew the word "racism" meant whatever the person speaking wanted it to mean - and therefore it meant nothing.
"Ministry of Truth." Lol. Don't want to be sent to a re-education camp....

Reactions: DoctorTech

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I would bet money you're misrepresenting both her words and and whatever bill you're referring to.

IN other news: Just because you don't understand the meaning of some words doesn't mean they've lost meaning.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings cause I'm with you: as much as you don't care what I think about your feelings, I can promise you I care even less than that about 'em.

You used an anecdotal experience to make a declarative statement, and in the process also butchered what it means when LGBT people say they want inclusion in our society. I'll give you a hint: it's not about being able to go to "straight bars." They've been doing that their whole lives because those bars are called "bars". Their bars get a special designation, however. Which is just one tiny lil' clue as to how our society ghettoizes non-cis folks.

See how this works yet?

LOL - you are right. Our society DEFINITELY "ghettoizes non-cis folks". That is why no gay man could ever become the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company in the United States. Our country is just too homophobic to ever buy products from a company run by a gay man. I know I wouldn't ever buy products from such a company (ignore my signature line below). No lesbian woman could ever have a successful TV talk show in this country because advertisers would be afraid to advertise on that show. No comedian, actor, musician, artist, chef or athlete could ever come out of the closet in this country because it would immediately end their career.

Reactions: chilly willy

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
This is astounding. This is like a Catholic pop star organizing a giant concert for abortion rights in an effort to change the Church's mind or to shame them. SMH.

No, it's not.

Not to get into the whole abortion issue, being LGBTQ is not a choice, while abortion generally is (with obvious exceptions). So it's just trying to get people together to say, it's okay that you're you. Don't listen to that big organization that is telling you that you're basically evil just because of how you were born.

Last edited:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
LOL - you are right. Our society DEFINITELY "ghettoizes non-cis folks". That is why no gay man could ever become the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company in the United States. Our country is just too homophobic to ever buy products from a company run by a gay man. I know I wouldn't ever buy products from such a company (ignore my signature line below). No lesbian woman could ever have a successful TV talk show in this country because advertisers would be afraid to advertise on that show. No comedian, actor, musician, artist, chef or athlete could ever come out of the closet in this country because it would immediately end their career.

You're using outliers to stand in for all of society. Your argument is just another variation on "The country can't be homophobic, some of our favorite singers are gay." It's a painfully stupid argument in 2018.

This is closer to the reality:

The U.S. law that has protected workers from gender and racial bias for more than half a century should not be extended to cover gay and lesbian employees because that isn’t what Congress envisioned when it passed the bill, Trump administration lawyers told a federal appeals court.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...on-says-workplace-bias-rules-don-t-cover-gays

Reactions: psac

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I would bet money you're misrepresenting both her words and and whatever bill you're referring to.

IN other news: Just because you don't understand the meaning of some words doesn't mean they've lost meaning.
I was there. I heard it with my own ears and I heard the laughter of numerous people in the chamber when she said it. She was like a fore runner of Auntie Maxine. Whenever she approached the microphone the chamber got quiet because everyone wanted to hear what she had to say. Not for any insight that she offered but for the comic relief.

And in other news, communication is based on a common understanding of words. If I say "blue" when I am describing something green, I create confusion because we have a word for the color green. If I make up a new word for green, I still cause confusion there is no common understanding of my new word.

Do you seriously want to claim that "heteropanic" is a mainstream word with a commonly understood definition? Using Google's ngram viewer (which tracks the frequency of word use in print) I found the word "Homophobia" was virtually non-existinent in English print until the early 1970s but it grew exponentially in use in the 1980s and 1990s to the point that I contend it is over used and losing its meaning.

In sharp contrast, Google's ngram viewer could not find enough instances of "heteropanic" to even put a blip on the chart. So yes, based on Google search results I stand by my claim that "heteropanic" is a new, made up word that is so infrequently used that there is no common understanding of what it means.

upload_2018-7-27_11-25-20.png

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I was there. I heard it with my own ears and I heard the laughter of numerous people in the chamber when she said it. She was like a fore runner of Auntie Maxine. Whenever she approached the microphone the chamber got quiet because everyone wanted to hear what she had to say. Not for any insight that she offered but for the comic relief.

I'd love to see a link to the incident in question...? Or is this one of those situations in which everyone had to be there to witness this absolutely true story that played exactly as you describe and not at all some dopey made up anecdote used on the internet to "prove" a pretty awful argument you're trying to make?
[doublepost=1532705821][/doublepost]
I found the word "Homophobia" was virtually non-existinent in English print until the early 1970s but it grew exponentially in use in the 1980s and 1990s to the point that I contend it is over used and losing its meaning.

So you're saying that the word "homophobia' didn't exist until the 70's, and then exploded in the following decades.

Hmmm...wonder why that would be the case....

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Most of us grow up at some point.

His comment brings up another point: am I supposed to believe he and others who think that way do not carry their biases into their every day lives? For people that insist homophobia isn't a real issue, they seem pretty hellbent on being their own best counter-argument.

Reactions: tkermit

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
No, it's not.

Not to get into the whole abortion issue, being LGBTQ is not a choice, while abortion generally is (with obvious exceptions). So it's just trying to get people together to say, it's okay that you're you. Don't listen to that big organization that is telling you that you're basically evil just because of how you were born.
It's fine to keep telling yourself that.
[doublepost=1532711869][/doublepost]
Most of us grow up at some point.
It's not a childish reaction to feel revulsion at something; it's a natural instinct. Spiders and snakes gross some folks out. So does the sight of two men kissing.

But go ahead and sit on your high horse and demonize something you disagree with.
[doublepost=1532711976][/doublepost]
Stop, for God's sake! The social justice Maoists will absolutely send you to the re-education camps.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
It's fine to keep telling yourself that.
[doublepost=1532711869][/doublepost]
It's not a childish reaction to feel revulsion at something; it's a natural instinct. Spiders and snakes gross some folks out. So does the sight of two men kissing.

But go ahead and sit on your high horse and demonize something you disagree with.

Incorrect. In this case it's a learned behavior. Gay people aren't spiders and snakes.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004

It's not that I disagree with you. In fact, I'm not sure there's anything to disagree with. Your feelings are your feelings. Nor would I consider you a bigot. I just literally think your reaction is a little childish. Children are grossed out by kissing in general, as well as by lots of other things and will basically take their own feelings at face value without questioning or trying to hide them which means they can easily come across as rude or inconsiderate of the feelings of others. But at some point most people realize that even supposedly 'natural' reactions can be overcome and, regardless of that, don't have to determine how you judge or think about something. You don't have to call something gross just because it makes you uncomfortable and 'yuck' is the first thought that pops into your head. Learning that is literally part of growing up.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
It's not that I disagree with you. In fact, I'm not sure there's anything to disagree with. Your feelings are your feelings. Nor would I consider you a bigot. I just literally think your reaction is a little childish. Children are grossed out by kissing in general, as well as by lots of other things and will basically take their own feelings at face value without questioning or trying to hide them which means they can easily come across as rude or inconsiderate of the feelings of others. But at some point most people realize that even supposedly 'natural' reactions can be overcome and, regardless of that, don't have to determine how you judge or think about something. You don't have to call something gross just because it makes you uncomfortable and 'yuck' is the first thought that pops into your head. Learning that is literally part of growing up.

Perhaps it's the words "yuck" and "grossed" out that give you the notion I am somehow 'immature" or not a grown up because I find something viscerally distasteful. So let's just those words---viscerally distasteful. Grown up words for all too humans feeling.

The bottom line is some people do find same sex sexual interaction distasteful. Probably many, many more than you would like to admit. Perhaps they should all "grow up."

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Perhaps it's the words "yuck" and "grossed" out that give you the notion I am somehow 'immature" or not a grown up because I find something viscerally distasteful. So let's just those words---viscerally distasteful. Grown up words for all too humans feeling.

The bottom line is some people do find same sex sexual interaction distasteful. Probably many, many more than you would like to admit. Perhaps they should all "grow up."
Maybe so. Wouldn't you agree, in any case, that those people will have to simply 'get over it'? Doesn't seem like asking for too much considering the alternative.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Yes, they should. It's bigoted.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Maybe so. Wouldn't you agree, in any case, that those people will have to simply 'get over it'? Doesn't seem like asking for too much considering the alternative.
The problem is the whole "get over it. It's not too much to ask (or whatever)"

Because that's not what folks on the left really mean. They really mean you're a bigot if you don't conform.

Don't believe me? Look at the comment directly above this one.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
The problem is the whole "get over it. It's not too much to ask (or whatever)"

Because that's not what folks on the left really mean. They really mean you're a bigot if you don't conform.

Don't believe me? Look at the comment directly above this one.

No one is asking you to conform to anything.

Feel free to express your displeasure with gay people to your heart’s content. I’ll do likewise regarding your bigotry.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I'd love to see a link to the incident in question...? Or is this one of those situations in which everyone had to be there to witness this absolutely true story that played exactly as you describe and not at all some dopey made up anecdote used on the internet to "prove" a pretty awful argument you're trying to make?
[doublepost=1532705821][/doublepost]

So you're saying that the word "homophobia' didn't exist until the 70's, and then exploded in the following decades.

Hmmm...wonder why that would be the case....
Lets see, it was 1995 when Congress returned the power to the States to set their own speed limits after that power was usurped in 1974. Indiana's General Assembly passed the law I referenced above in the 1996 session. I realize that Al Gore had already invented the Internet by 1996 but Indiana was not yet live streaming House floor debates. Of course, since you think I just made up the whole incident you can at least credit me with being psychic. I knew you were going to argue with me and ask me for a link to a video so I must have just made up the whole story to coincide with an incident that took place that long ago. If you are really wanting proof I welcome you to contact the Indiana General Assembly and ask for transcripts of the floor debate on the bill from 1996 that raised the speed limits in Indiana. The floor debates were audio recorded and I believe they were transcribed but they didn't start live streaming floor debates until sometime after Al Gore invented webcams and smart phones.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Lets see, it was 1995 when Congress returned the power to the States to set their own speed limits after that power was usurped in 1974. Indiana's General Assembly passed the law I referenced above in the 1996 session. I realize that Al Gore had already invented the Internet by 1996 but Indiana was not yet live streaming House floor debates. Of course, since you think I just made up the whole incident you can at least credit me with being psychic. I knew you were going to argue with me and ask me for a link to a video so I must have just made up the whole story to coincide with an incident that took place that long ago. If you are really wanting proof I welcome you to contact the Indiana General Assembly and ask for transcripts of the floor debate on the bill from 1996 that raised the speed limits in Indiana. The floor debates were audio recorded and I believe they were transcribed but they didn't start live streaming floor debates until sometime after Al Gore invented webcams and smart phones.

So you had a psychic premonition that you would be challenged on your made up anecdotal story?

Next time throw out a "spoiler alert", friend!

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
So you had a psychic premonition that you would be challenged on your made up anecdotal story?

Next time throw out a "spoiler alert", friend!
If you want the proof, you can request the transcripts. The bill passed and became law in Indiana and the floor "debate" by that particular State Representative was as I described but I am through wasting time on this topic. Go ahead and get the last word in. I'm done.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
If you want the proof, you can request the transcripts. The bill passed and became law in Indiana and the floor "debate" by that particular State Representative was as I described but I am through wasting time on this topic. Go ahead and get the last word in. I'm done.

So it's my job to prove your made up story? Interesting technique.

Good thing you're done. I'd hate for you to have to make something else up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.