Tim Cook Tweets in Memory of Steve Jobs, Who Passed Away Seven Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook has tweeted in memory of his former boss and mentor Steve Jobs, who passed away on October 5, 2011. Today marks the seventh anniversary of the Apple co-founder's death. He was 56 years old.

[​IMG]

"Steve showed me--and all of us--what it means to serve humanity," tweeted Cook, alongside a photo of Steve.

Here's what Cook said on the day of Steve's death:
    We rounded up many other comments in our 2011 article for those who wish to look back, while Apple still has a Remembering Steve page on its website with condolences and memories from customers.

Steve Jobs narrated this unaired version of Apple's famous Think Different ad in 1997:

Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Speech, where he addresses his mortality:

Lisa Brennan-Jobs, the eldest daughter of Steve, recently shed a less flattering light on her father. In her "Small Fry" memoir released last month, Brennan-Jobs described both "moments of joy" and "coldness" about her father, including his "frequent use of money to confuse or frighten her."

Article Link: Tim Cook Tweets in Memory of Steve Jobs, Who Passed Away Seven Years Ago Today

2. DJ_Smith macrumors regular

DJ_Smith

Rest in peace, Steve. Thanks for all that you did!

3. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

RIP Steve. Your hardware company makes great watches.

4. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Time flies... 7 years already!
    I remember reading the news on the very device he introduced to the market.
    I miss him especially during Apple keynotes, they were way more interesting to follow when he was on stage.

5. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

It’s a sad story and a terrible disease. Tim Cook should be spoken about the way he speaks about Steve’s memory.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

I'm sure he would be proud to see the Apple of 2018.

7. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

No ******** dumb stuff about iPhones; those videos can make a man weep: RIP Steve Jobs

8. indyandy macrumors newbie

Well, Steve was a great thinker and entrepreneur but I don’t think he was the humanitarian that Tim Cook is describing him.

9. Mic'sBook, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

Mic'sBook macrumors regular

I still remember the day when my classmate suddenly tapped on my shoulder in the school library (he knew I was an Apple fan) and turned his (Sony Android) phone to me with this sad piece of news. (By the way, mobile phones were not allowed in school!)

So I immediately went online with the PC there. First with MacRumors, and then other credible sources and major tech websites... only to find that it was the truth.

Every now and then I still watch his keynotes and interviews on YouTube. It's a bit surreal to find such a vibrant man dead... You'll be in every Apple fan's heart.

10. MacWorld78 macrumors 6502

MacWorld78

Steve jobs, certainly you enter this world with empty hands and left this world with empty hands. What you did during your time which is incredibly remarkable that no one can do what you can do, certainly you have passed your intelligence and thought to apple which can be used for many years to come.

Thank you Steve jobs, we love you! You rock my world. Thank you Tim cook for showing some respect regarding Steve Jobs.

11. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

RIP Steve. Thanks for the amazing computers that made me create in new ways.

12. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

Am I just being cynical, or after 7 years should we just be moving on? Apple wouldn’t be where it is today without Steve, but I don’t think we have to commemorate his death every year.

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I appreciate the many good things Steve did in technology and the lasting impact he has had in the community.

14. Beeplance macrumors 68000

Beeplance

Steve - the man who created the best products for his own company, who explained the rationale behind Apple's product decisions, who was convincing on stage, who actually made Apple Keynotes interesting.

15. rpat701 macrumors regular

"What it means to serve humanity."...? I would have chosen other words to remember him by. He did little to serve humanity. Building products and a business isn't serving humanity and the greater good...

16. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

The sad day the Inspirational, Risk taking, Creative, Genius died, and the money grabbing men took over :(

17. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

I agree. Every 5/10 years will be sufficient to bring back the memory.

Clearly they're still trying to make sure people remember Steve Jobs, because Apple is much different now.

18. zoozx macrumors 6502

zoozx

RIP

The crazy ones - BEST AD EVER!

Apple now is the money grubbers!

19. ahireasu macrumors regular

"Steve showed me—and all of us—what it means to serve humanity,"
    Too bad that even after showing you ,you never did mr.Cook.

20. ZappBdot macrumors newbie

RIP Steve. You have been a great inspiration to me!

21. PG(Austin) macrumors regular

PG(Austin)

It's the American way to remember things once a year. We recall with remembrance each year for so many things, it's likely one every day. But I think in this context, it's a very prominent person remembering a friend in a public forum. We don't have a Steve Jobs day, or Steve Jobs Memorial Day each year so technically you are free to only remember him in the amount you feel appropriate. :)

22. Tech198 macrumors G5

23. supercoolmanchu, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

supercoolmanchu macrumors regular

supercoolmanchu

He was very private about help he gave to others, took a very personal and hands on approach, but never wanted a shred of public recognition.

It’s sickening when people assume otherwise, because they expect to see big public declarations and showy humanitarian virtue signaling, rather than actual selfless charity.

Charity really isn’t, when you’re getting something back for it. A lot of people, famous figures, groups and big business leaders could learn a lot from Steve in this regard.

24. gim macrumors 6502

gim

I'm not. I think he would be disgusted by several decisions Apple has made over the last 7 years.

25. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I imagine it'll become less common as fewer people personally knew Jobs are still working at Apple.

Maybe after the 10th Apple as a whole won't be talking about it for the 11th-14th, and instead individual executives might tweet about him or something, but Apple will bring him back for the 15th, 20th, 25th, 30th, and every decade after that...

Although IDK. How often does IBM bring up Watson the man? I left the company 4 months before the 60th anniversary of his death.