Tim Cook wears his Watch in the shower

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rogifan, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

This is great news if true. Not that I really need my watch in the shower, but that would show a good deal of water resistance.

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

When I saw the title, I thought you were spying on him. :D

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Well that's what this article claims.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

From article:

"Apparently speaking to employees at an Apple Store in Berlin, Cook is rumored to have said that he wears his Apple Watch everywhere, "even in the shower," according to iGen.fr. If true, that would be a change from last year, when the water resistance of the Apple Watch was not rated high enough for use in the shower."

Was the water resistance rating for the Apple Watch ever documented? I thought that was an unknown (at least to the general public).

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I can't see people wearing the Apple Watch in the shower unless they're using the sport band, but definitely cool to have better water resistance!

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I'm not aware of Apple ever disclosing.

9. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

It wasn't ever official from Apple. David Pogue said it couldn't be worn in the shower.

10. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

It has never been documented. There are threads here speculating and hoping it's water resistant. Never heard anything official. Many were going off the official picture staying it must be water resistant at least.

This picture
    [​IMG]

11. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

I'm very hopeful this is true!
    Not that I plan on showering with it, but I have been in plenty of situations where I got rain-soaked and there was no choice but to suck it up.

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Good news if true. I wouldn't be surprised if it was able to be submerged in water, just that I don't think Apple would overtly advertise that fact incase people do stupid things and take it to the Genuis Bar claiming they were just washing their hands...

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The big difference of course, is that if Tim Cook gets water in his Watch...

He doesn't get any hassle getting it replaced even if the moisture indicators have been triggered!!

:D

14. rayricepudding macrumors member

Why bother with inductive charging if it's not water proof?

Why would Apple bother with inductive charging if the watch isn't waterproof to at least 5 ATM? While inductive charging is cool, it tends to be slower than wired charging and also requires additional internal components, which may add bulk to the device. I'd hope that with the expected battery limitations of the Apple Watch, they wouldn't have included inductive charging unless it actually brings some utility to the table - Aside from being a little easier to charge, what utility could inductive charging offer other than enabling the watch to be waterproof? So far, all I can tell is that it's slower and adds bulk to the watch.

Sure, maybe they want to eventually make future models waterproof, and don't want to change the charging mechanism down the line, but I have to be honest here - if that's the reason, as an Apple investor I'll be pretty upset about their strategic planning, and here's why: The sensors on the back of the watch are hardly cutting edge - look at what the Jawbone Up 3 has! I'd really hope that future iterations of the Apple Watch would have improved sensors like the Up 3. If they change the sensors on the Apple Watch, they'd very possibly have to change the charging mechanism as well, so why marry the watch to this particular inductive charging device just for that reason?

That's the surprise I'm hoping for when they make the next big announcement: That it's waterproof, or at least resistant to 5 ATM.

One additional thought: I wouldn't be entirely surprised if, due to the nature that the Apple Watch is loaded with intricate electronics, Apple simply doesn't want to rate it in water resistance. Maybe it will be waterproof, but Apple just doesn't want to be liable, so isn't making any claims. I'd imagine that there will be a lot of tests done by tech blogs to this effect.

15. applegeek01 macrumors 6502

I am very happy to hear this, although I'm not sure if it will be much use to me. If the battery allows me to (which is dependent upon my usage of the watch) I plan to wear the watch while I slept at night and have the battery charge while I shower, get ready, and eat breakfast. From podcasts that I have listened to, batteries of the same size in other smart watches only take around 45 minutes to charge. If this is the case, then charging my watch in the morning would be perfect.

It is interesting that Apple has worked on getting it shower proof. It is much more than I expected since the announcement of the watch. Maybe Apple will surprise us all even more at a launch keynote with more big reveals.

16. Sharkey311 Suspended

I will cry if it ends up being able to be used during swimming laps.

17. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I'll cry with you, when this fact is confirmed. :p

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True. I think the article is simply extrapolating the water rating based on rumors that it couldn't be worn in the shower and they don't actually have inside information as to the actual water rating.

19. Che Castro macrumors 603

I CAN SEE IT NOW, WATERGATE

[​IMG]

20. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

These were the dumbest series of videos I have watched in awhile.

"Hey what happens if I try to bend a phone?"

----------

This concludes my view on the Apple Watch.

1. the design will very likely stay this way much longer than we imagine.
    2. as more features/hardware are added they will be interior and not exterior.

non-inductive charging for this type of device doesn't seem future forward, after all a dedicated port just to charge would take up valuable space as opposed to integrating it into where the sensors lay on the skin.
    1. either you will be wearing the watch and sensors will be in play
    2. you are not wearing the watch which is assumed you are charging it
    you would be doing both at the same time, imagine standing near a wall outlet with your watch plugged in. Not the best imagine of a futuristic wearable.

21. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

What purpose does this serve? So you can answer calls and texts in the shower?

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

For me after a hard run or intense cardio workout I just leave my Garmin 620 on while I shower and then don't have to wash it separately.

23. technosix macrumors 6502a

I have a very comprehensive selection of high end watches of all types. Some that have been on extended scuba dives in the Caribbean, yet I shower sans a watch. There's no interest on my part to shower with a watch on.

YMMV :)

24. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I can see the headlines now... Watergate scandal mark two...

Attached Files:

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I hope those will be tears of joy? :D