Tim Cooks keynote closing remarks

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by johndallas999, Jun 13, 2012.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

After watching the WWDC keynote, did anyone else find his closing remarks about "getting out of bed in the morning then pausing and rambling about best week ever" a little clumsy? Almost like he lost his train of thought or something. Kind of a fizzled out sign off. Seems like he's not a very good public speaker.

2. Gromet macrumors regular

Gromet

I agree, I'm not a fan Cook's public speaking technique. I miss Jobs...

..Gromet

3. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Well he isn't Steve... he is a more keep to himself person. That's why he gets out in the beginning and the end to give the numbers and the say his thanks to the developers and leaves the rest to the team. Steve was always on stage giving demos and showing how "magical" it was.

4. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

You should see him at this first event last year. Very uncomfortable on stage. This year he was 100% improved over last year. I think the more he does a WWDC even the more conformable he'll get.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

I thought he was about to start crying, lol. It went from motivating to awkward...quickly...then he just cut it off and said thank you and goodbye.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Apple needs a spokesperson to present or be the MC of their events.

7. minik macrumors 65816

I had that feeling too.

8. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

i could agree with that. Everyone else can still have their place for showing "their section" and demos and such, but i feel that Tim Cook trying to just introduce and close the events isn't worth it for him to be the "buddy" CEO out on stage.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I thought Cook was much improved over last year.

10. Brammy macrumors 65816

I'm sure these first few events are emotional for him. He and Jobs were very close and I'm sure for him it's hard reminder that his friend is gone.

The guy's human. It's going to take some time for him to get over these emotional hurdles.

11. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Agreed, his closing just seemed a little lost then wrapped up quickly. He's definitely no Steve Jobs. That being said, we will probably never see that level of passion on stage again.

As stated by some in this thread, his performance was still much improved over previous keynotes.

12. amorya macrumors 6502

Don't forget what it was like at Apple events pre-Steve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhhFQ-3w5tE

That's the keynote just after Steve returned, where the first bit was presented by Gil Amelio (the previous CEO) and then Steve comes on stage.

Apple hasn't always had CEOs who were great speakers!

13. Soundflunky macrumors regular

I'm stratching my head trying to figure out what this has to so with iOS 6.

14. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Exactly. It was like he was going down this really sincere, somber line then whiplashes you into the Best week ever x 3 comments. Very strange.

----------

It didn't seem that it was related to Jobs to me, more of he just isn't a good public speaker on his feet.

----------

ooookkkkk....not sure why that would be troubling you

15. Brammy macrumors 65816

it's possible. Or he just had a "This is the first WWDC without Jobs" moment. Or, he had way to much water backstage and had to piss like a racehorse.

16. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Yes i noticed he messed up at the end

Biggest mistake he could make is try and present like steve jobs. I too thought he was much better than last year.

Its not the human mistakes that bother me, i enjoy watching these things for the exciting new features and products.

This year its evolution not revolution and there is nothing wrong with that. Mac products are quite a big part of my life so i don't want radical changes.

17. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Steve certainly didn't want to be around during that circus.

18. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

EXCUSE ME!! Despite what any perception of his mannerisms at 2012 WWDC you CANNOT use his first event which was the iPhone 4S event as a comparison or give it any fault. He was doing his very first product launch reason to be uncomfortable enough BUT he also had to hide from the public while doing the launch that Steve Jobs was on his deathbed as he was doing the launch. Not to mention keeping his personal emotions intact regarding Steve Jobs. The man died the following day.

19. mactmaster, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

mactmaster macrumors 6502

Did you guys watch the education event keynote? Roger Rosner, the VP for productivity apps was great at presenting all the demos, very articulate and natural. Apple could use someone like him doing the big keynotes.

While watching the WWDC keynote I kept thinking that every speaker that went up had several little stumbles. It's definitely not the same but we were spoiled with Steve because he was such a great showman.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Lost in translation ;)

21. johndallas999 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I just watched that on youtube. Wow, Steve was sporting some interesting threads. Was style that cheezy back in the early 1990s?

22. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

LOL. It was a cringe-worthy moment. :beer:

23. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

1990's were a cheesy decade, lol.

24. petsounds macrumors 65816

As a developer, I found Tim's remarks to be inspiring. Making products that make people's lives better, help them express themselves better, and express my own vision, that's really what the long hours are all about. If you look at Steve Jobs' early keynote speeches, there's much more of that sentiment than his later ones. So it is nice to see Tim Cook bringing the original Macintosh spirit back. So what if he wasn't pitch-perfect? He was honest and excited.

25. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

He has the greatest accent (and that's coming from an Irishman) eg: "Display"
    I think he kinda stumbled a little at the end with his words, but it happens the best speakers.