Timbit for baby costs job

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iJohnHenry, May 8, 2008.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

LONDON FREE PRESS

Thursday, May 8, 2008

By JENNIFER O'BRIEN

You can take candy from a baby, but you can't give one a Timbit -- not for free, anyway.

A single London mother of four is out of her Tim Hortons job, fired for giving away one of the 16-cent blobs of fried dough to a tot who came in with a regular customer. "I have been fired for giving a baby a Timbit," Nicole Lilliman, 27, said yesterday.

"It was just out of my heart -- she was pointing and going 'ah, ah. . .' I should have gone to my purse and got the change, but it was busy."

Lilliman, who has worked at the store on Base Line and Wharncliffe roads for three years, said she thought little of the incident since Timbits are often doled out to dogs and children.

She said the baby was about 11 months old, and she gave her the treat to quieten her, since her mom -- a Tims' regular -- had been "having a bad day."

"I could see (the dismissal) if it was a sandwich or something," Lilliman said, still in her uniform after being fired yesterday. "But it was a Timbit."

She'd forgotten about the Monday-morning incident when she was called into the office yesterday. Three managers greeted her, saying she had been caught on video, giving free food to a child.

"They said, 'Remember, Monday you gave out a free Timbit,' " she said. "I had to think, then I was like, 'Oh yeah,' and I smiled because I thought I'd get a warning."

Instead, she was fired for theft and told to sign the accusation before leaving.

"I was crying. I was like, 'I'm a single mom with four kids and you are going to put this on my record?' You should bring all the staff in here and fire them all and yourselves, too. People give out Timbits to dogs in the drive-through all the time."

Giving food away free is against the rules, said Tim Hortons district manager Nicole Mitchell.

"Employees aren't allowed to give out free products and that's the bottom line," she said. "She gave out free product and it doesn't matter if it is a Timbit or a coffee or a doughnut or 10 sandwiches or what."

The Timbits given to pets, Mitchell added, are usually "day-old and recycled."

"(Lilliman) admitted it. She signed the accusation and completely admitted it and everything has been documented," said Mitchell.

Mitchell said there have been other problems with the employee, but Lilliman said nothing has been brought to her attention and she doesn't know of any writeups.

"It is not easy to get up at 6 a.m. and go to work, but I'm always there," she said.

"I need this job. I know there is a policy, but every person in the world gives out free Timbits once in a while."

Contact.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

****ers. In my mind, they're one of the most down-to-Earth Canadian companies that I can think of (Mountain Equipment Co-op being the other), despite the fact that Wendys owns them now. They're also one of my favourite companies. I know that this is their "policy", but it would literally be like letting a customer eat a single grape at a supermarket, except the Timbit may be less significant than that! Give her a warning first. Talk to her. Letting her go like this harms the company far more than it helps it. A Timbit? It's like the left-over scraps of a frackin' doughnut/donut. :rolleyes:

If you don't believe me about Tim Hortons, listen to this: When my oldest friend moved to from Toronto to Sydney to attend uni this past February, do you know what I asked him to bring me? A Tim Hortons thermal coffee mug. I've been away from Canada for 3 years now (without visiting home), and I could have asked my friend for a lot of different things (eg: hockey stuff), but a Timmy's thermal mug is the single Canadian "souvenir" I asked him for.

So this is what happens when your company gets bought by a big American company and goes big, is it? :rolleyes:

EDIT TO ADD: I just sent them a letter to convey my level of disappointment.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

So, this is like a donut hole, correct? I'm just curious as I've never heard of a Timbit.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You don't know how many high-fives I get for coming from the country that created the Poutine. ;) They love me because of it, but hate me because we hoarde it for ourselves and don't really "spread the love" with the rest of the world.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

9. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

she must have been fired for something else; not revealed to her for legal reasons. They're just using the stupid donut scrap as an excuse.

10. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

+1. Nevermind maple syrup or salmon, TimBits really are Canada's finest product. Anyone free to send me some? :D

I used to love Tim Hortons... I was working in Vancouver one summer, and every night after work, I'd stop at the Hortons on Alberni Street in downtown and grab a box of 10 and an iced frap on my way back to the apartment... [/nostalgia]

Another high-five from over here! You can keep perogies though... Are you really supposed to boil them? Grabbed a bag from Safeway one day, boiled them, and they didn't taste of ANYTHING :)

11. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

You have curling too!!!

:D

12. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

That is absolutely pathetic of Tim Horton's. I just wrote an email to corporate expressing my disappointment.

I feel for her. Looks like no good deed gets overlooked.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Canadians love all sorts of holes.™

Gotta love all that sweeping and yelling.

Funny enough, I was going to add WWE wrestling to the list. I think it's supposed to be Canada's 2nd most popular "sport" to watch or something.

Don't laugh.

They lack taste when there's nothing stuffed inside them. ;)

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Oh my!

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

something like this would be disappointing to see from any company. period.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

One thing to take note of is that a lot of Tim Hortons locations are franchises. This is probably not a corporate policy, it may just be some idiotic franchise owner on a power trip.

Or maybe she deserved to be fired for other, undisclosed reasons.

Nonetheless, Tim Hortons corporate should call up the franchisee and fix this situation (if it was a franchise location) as it could have a negative effect on the company's reputation.

17. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Nonetheless I have sent them an email stating that they have lost my business. Given that I live in Colorado that shouldn't be of concern to them. However, they don't know where I live.

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, I was disappointed to hear this, too.

Up until this incident I always assumed that Tim Horton's was willing to be a little bit "free" with the Timbits, whether for goodwill or because they know they have to get rid of the ones that are reaching their shelf life. On numerous occasions I have ordered a 20-pack of Timbits and received a box crammed full, with easily 30-40 inside. I never think to count them, of course, but it's clear there are lots more than 20. It happens so often that on the days that I "only" receive 20 Timbits I go away a bit disappointed.

I can understand "rules is rules" but clearly many others do the same thing.

19. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Employee fired over free Timbit getting job back :cool:

Updated Thu. May. 8 2008 10:30 AM ET

ctvtoronto.ca

A London, Ont. woman has her job at Tim Hortons back after being fired for giving a free Timbit to a toddler.

A statement issued by the company's head office Thursday said the person who fired Nicole Lilliman, 27, went too far and that the single mother of four has been reinstated.

"Unfortunately the action of the manager of this location was not appropriate," the statement read. "With an apology from management Ms. Lilliman has been rehired by the franchisee. We sincerely apologize to our customers for this unfortunate incident."

Timbits are small balls of glazed dough that sell for $0.16.

Lilliman has said she didn't think much about giving the Timbit to the 11-month-old child, who came in with a regular customer. She said staff members often give Timbits to pets and children and that she was trying to calm the child, who was being fussy.

Lilliman had worked at the store for about three years. She said was greeted by three managers when she arrived at work on Wednesday, who confronted her about the free gift after watching surveillance footage taken in the restaurant.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahem, now that she is employed again, can we talk about the idea of soothing children by stuffing their mouths with junk food? ;)

21. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Haha, I'm not off topic. This was her justification for what she did. :p

23. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

They were IN a JUNK FOOD restaurant. What would you expect?

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've been deprived of TH for a while now, but IIRC, there's some pretty healthy food there. I loved their garden baguette sandwiches when I was up North. But I do like donuts now and again, too. That's not my point. It's that I don't approve of encouraging young children to eat rather than express their emotions. Having a timbit is fine; having a timbit because it's more appropriate to eat than to fuss is not appropriate. This is widely seen as being one of the things that accelerates children into eating disorders or at least unhealthy eating behaviors in later life.

25. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502