Time Capsule 2011 Refresh

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by syan48306, Jun 6, 2011.

1. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Was it just me or did we not hear a single peep about a Time Capsule Refresh during WWDC. Is it really likely it is going to be updated this summer even though they completely neglected to say anything about it?

I bought one a couple weeks ago and I returned it thinking that we would be getting some news about the new device today but no dice :(

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They were only rumours. Nothing in the keynote suggests an updated Time Capsule is required for the iCloud services.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

1. WWDC isn't over yet.

2. A Time Capsule refresh probably won't warrant a keynote mention.

4. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Never said anything about TC required for iCloud. I was referring to the separate rumors of A4/5's going into TC's and them being powered by iOS. Not to mention the diminishing stock of AEBS and TC.

I'm just wondering how long should I hold out for the new device?

5. bennettave macrumors member

it doesn't seem necessary for a refreshed TC within the iCloud environment, but the rumors of shortages do hint at an upcoming refresh.

i'm taking an AEBS back tonight that i bought 13 days ago. i think we'll see a new ap/router/backup device by the end of july.

6. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

iCloud/Mobile Me/Server/Sync capabilities with Time Capsule would've been nice. Very disappointing if the rumors were nothing but empty words.

7. Slider macrumors newbie

I was intending to buy one anyway but will just wait for the new version.

Hopefully we'll see further news this week.

8. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Yeah, I'm in the market for a new router, was thinking TC but held off when out of stock at Apple Store and then saw rumors. I could just go base station and rely on iCloud for backups. Maybe TC is being made obsolete? But I also liked the idea of pulling content straight from stored place at home instead of over my sometimes dicey cable line.

9. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    sold my TC in anticipation since i could not stream movies directly from TC to Ps3 or ATV2

TC acting as a server was an awesome idea

hope 2011 TC run on IOS are out soon

10. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Yeah, I just hope it just doesn't come out late July or August. :(

11. Brettatkinson macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wish they would have refreshed the TC but I doubt they will release anything else during WWDC... :-(

12. Slider macrumors newbie

Can anyone speculate if a new revision would allow me to hook up the TC via my TV through an AV receiver?

I would like to store MKVs on a TC partition and watch these on TV.
    At the moment I think I would need to buy an Airport Express or Apple TV to use in conjunction, is this correct?

By the way, I have a good hunch the new TC will be due at the end of this month to coincide with new Lion features.

13. zebrab macrumors newbie

If you want to use the V of your AV receiver you will need an apple tv. If A is enough, you will be finde with the airport express. With either one you will stream the media (wirelessly if you want) from your mac/pc to the device that then directs audio/video to your receiver and tv.

14. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping for an update as well! If you think about it, AppleTV has pretty much all the hardware you need for an iOS based AP.

Change the audio port to an AirPort Express style audio port. Remove the HDMI, and give it another set of ethernet ports. Now you have a iOS powered device for about $99 doing everything the AirPort Express and Extreme do.

[​IMG]

15. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

only way to get your ps3 to notice you mac is to hack it... which Sony is really not happy about

16. Nawaz macrumors newbie

Should we still expect for a refresh version of the :apple: time capsule before fall :confused: iCloud capabilities with Time Capsule would be nice. Internet connection in my country is not that good, we are limited to 4mb :(

17. marc11 macrumors 68000

Lol, but that is the essence of a RUMOR. Until you hear it from a confirmed source, specifically the original source, well then you should assume the rumor is FALSE.

18. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

19. Brettatkinson macrumors newbie

Agreed! :(

20. alm99 macrumors 6502

This stinks. I was really hoping for a TC refresh during the keynote as I am ready to buy. Now with the rumor of a possible update looming I don't want to jump on one.

21. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Yeah, I'm going to need either a AEBS or TC by the end of next week or so. Was hoping for refresh. Probably just going with AEBS and relying on old firewire external for backup until cloud becomes available.

EDIT: Whoops just realized that cloud only provides 5GB of backup space. That is enough for word documents, emails and contacts, but certainly won't be enough to backup media and older programs. Maybe there still is a place for TC.

22. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Anybody heard whether Apple stores are still low on TC and AirPort Extreme stock? If supplies are still constrained, I'd say a refresh is still possible.

Maybe the new Time Capsule will launch in July along with Lion (and those rumored new MBAs).

23. Brettatkinson macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know the apple store by my house didn't even have them out on the shelf. I inquired to see if they even had any in stock and the guy said he might have a few in the back but he wasn't sure, but for some reason they weren't on the shelf... Not that this means anything but it's interesting.

24. vigu360 macrumors member

vigu360

Ah seems like they're running out of stock in most places, hopefully a refresh before Lion release.

25. CHSeifert, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I bought one 2 weeks ago and it was still in stock.

Can't really see what an update of the TimeCapsule would provide me that I don't already have in the current model besides a better airventilated design ofcourse ;-)