Time Capsule 500 Gb Keep it? Help please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brunomiguelam, Nov 29, 2008.

1. brunomiguelam macrumors newbie

My wife, gave me a nice birthay gift, 500 GB Time capsule, (I also have the airport extreme), but i didn't open the box, because i search for some opinions about Time capsule, and they are not very good, so i ask you guys and i am new here, for a help and advice, i also know that we are close to the new mac conference, so should i keep it time capsule, or wait for news, or buy a regular hard drive to make the backups?
    :(
    Help please i only have 15 days to change...

Wait replys

2. fletchnj macrumors newbie

I have that same model, and it's great for what it was intended for, system backups. However, I also moved my iTunes library there to try and save space on my mbp. This isn't working out so well for me. I find it to be very slow, and aggravating.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

To consider: 1. This is a birthday gift from your wife. What will she think if you return it (depends entirely on the wife; your call). 2. For a laptop, Time Capsule will give you more regular backup because if you have to plug in an external drive, you won't do it sometimes for days. 3. One huge advantage of Time Capsule: You can hide it away, so if you have any thieves coming in, they may take your computer, but they won't take your backup.

Complaints about Time Capsule are mostly that the first backup takes ages, which is true, but why would you care? You don't notice when it is backing up.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

since its a gift, from your wife nonetheless, just be thankful for it and not worry about any updates if any

i know i would be slightly offended if i gave someone something and they took it back for any reason

5. brunomiguelam thread starter macrumors newbie

Time Capsule 500 Gb Keep it? Help please

Thanks for the advices, there is no problem with my wife, because she also have a laptop, and i have a imac, and a good choice would be useful for both,
    so many people said "if you have the airport extreme, you could buy an regular hard drive and plug it", but because the airport only have 1 USb entry i have my printer plug it, and second i need a hard drive...
    Another question, could i make in time capasule the 1 customized copy? I have an Imac with a split harddrive

6. brunomiguelam thread starter macrumors newbie

Could i make in time capasule the 1 customized copy? I have an Imac

Another question, could i make in time capsule the 1 customized copy? I have an Imac with a split hard drive...

I have a, 500 GB Time capsule, (I also have the airport extreme), but i didn't open the box, because i search for some opinions about Time capsule, and they are not very good, so i ask you guys and i am new here, for a help and advice, i also know that we are close to the new mac conference, so should i keep it time capsule, or wait for news, or buy a regular hard drive to make the backups?