Time Capsule back up time

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mattrsa, Mar 27, 2008.

1. mattrsa macrumors member

Ok guys, this is becoming a bit of a joke.

I have set my time capsule up via wired ethernet and set it to back up my 50gb, left it running since 5pm yesterday, it is now 8am the next day and it has only backed up 2 gig?

is this normal. how long did it take you to back up all your stuff with the time capsule?

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

my 1st backup on TC (also wired ethernet), i left overnight to backup ~250GB
    all other incremental backups take minutes to complete either over ethernet or wireless..

have you checked your airport transfer speed? - option+shift click on the airport icon in the menu bar (top right of screen) and you'll see a few extra pieces of info regarding transfer rates..

3. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

yeah but i have got mine working previously and all it did was 2gb overnight

I have checked the option as you said and it says rssi -62 , transmit rate 54

also I read that it should save my progress when backing up. So i stopped the backup before as I was doing work, I have now fired it up again and it has started for the beginning again

4. ljones macrumors regular

My first backup via ethernet had a problem. I deleted that sparse bundle and created a new one. 200GB took about 6 to 8 hours, maybe less. i know I started on a Friday evening and it was done when i returned later that night.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Same here, left my first backup, ~65gb, to run overnight. I have, however, periodically had problems with backups getting stuck at the beginning and I'll have to stop it and restart.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Is there any chance that even though you have an Ethernet cable plugged into your Mac, your Mac is still using wireless to connect to the Time Capsule? Maybe try turning WiFi off if it's not already?

Even then, 2GB in 15 hours is horrible. Mine did a 800MB backup over wireless in just a few minutes the other night.

7. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

well i turned airport off and it seemed to pick up speed so i guess it must have been trying to use that to back up.

off out now so hopefully there will be some progress when I get back

8. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

ok so I'm back after being away all night , approx 15 hours and it has still only done 6 gig,

what am I doing wrong?

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

We don't know. If you turn on Activity Monitor and let it show Disk Activity, you should get a disk activity of tens of megabytes "Data read/sec" and "Data written/sec" over Ethernet (I get usually 30MB per second over Firewire), except when Time Machine copies lots of small files, where you should get hundreds of "Reads in/sec" and "Reads out/sec", and maybe one or two MB data/sec.

The "Data write/sec" should match the progress that Time Machine makes.

10. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

well guess what!

I have left this piece of **** backing up all day and it has just got to 11.8 then crashed the macbook again for the 10 time.

what is wrong with this dam thing?

should I send it back?

11. ljones macrumors regular

Wireless backup of 5.5gigs took about 6 hours last night. I think the download of the iPhone SDk is partly why my last update was so large. I noticed the total at midnight before turning in, and before I left for work, I took at look at the last update, and it said 6am.

Now I have mine set to run every 7 hours. I believe it started around 11PM, so maybe, just maybe the last backup finished sooner than 7 hours, but i guess there is no real way for me to know.

i belive when the update finsihes, the next will run on what ever increment of time you have it set to run from that point. Thats why i think it took around 6 hours.

12. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'm with you...I've been doing my first backup for 7 hours and it's done 5.2GB.

Is this normal? I'm doing it via Airport and the transmit rate is 54, whatever that means :eek:

13. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

ok so I reset the TC and started again and it has only done 6 gig in 12 hours, this surely is not right

14. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Have you called Apple or anything? Just wondering, because I'm still in the same boat as you. 13.8GB in 19 hours.

15. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

no i have not called them but might try tomorrow.

I restarted the backup and it has now done 1 gig in almost 5 hours,

I tried to access the apple support stuff for the TC but it was down which sucks

16. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I started mine at like 7 on Friday night and actually had to quit on Sunday morning because I had a flight. There were only ten gigs to go...blah.

Seriously, who knew it would take two days to finish one backup? :rolleyes:

17. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Can you guys try doing the backup over USB rather than wired ethernet?

That should make the first backup the same as a regular external hard drive.

Let us know if that works.

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I had this same issue...

Only I wasn't even using Time Capsule. Just using Time Machine over Firewire, it took over 30 minutes to back up less then 1 gig. For most of the time, Time Machine was reading and writing to the disk, but not actually backing anything up:confused:

19. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

i have discovered the problem which was slowing the speed of my back up.

I had some antivirus which seemed to be trying to scan every file before coping it, I disabled the antivirus and it backed up all 60 gig in about 4 hours.

Matt