Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
I have a DSL internet connection. If I get an AirPort Time Capsule, will backups be sent to it at my 5Mb/s internet speed? Or will it transfer more quickly between the Mac and Time Capsule?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have a DSL internet connection. If I get an AirPort Time Capsule, will backups be sent to it at my 5Mb/s internet speed? Or will it transfer more quickly between the Mac and Time Capsule?
You're DSL speed has nothing to do with it. If you get a TC, your file transfer speed will be whatever your local TC uses (5/2.4GHz; g,n or ac) and that depends on a lot of factors, e.g. interference, distance from source, walls, etc. I always recommend buying a Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) and attaching a USB HDD to it. That way, you can always upgrade (or replace in case of a hardware failure) the components individually. I speak from personal experience about this. I had a power source failure in my TC so the whole unit (including it's internal HDD) had to be replaced.

There is no advantage to buying them as a unit from a performance standpoint. The only advantage is the form factor (let's say you have your AEBS sitting out on your desk and you don't want to look at a HDD hanging off of it). The TC is also more expensive/GB storage than buying the pieces separately.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Hi
Your back up is via LAN to Time Machine not via the internet - so fast but as mic says dependent of thickness of walls who is using network etc. but the simplicity of Time Machine cannot be over overemphasised.
I have a Time Capsule (attached to router with router wifi switched OFF) and airport express to extend the wifi thoughout the house via cat 6 as a roaming network.
The cat 6 cable runs along the ouside wall of the house.
I mention this as Time Capsule is not just a backup device.
I used to add a 1 TB hard drive to the TC for offsite backups but now simply connect the usb 3 to my rMBP and use Carbon Copy Cloner (comparing TC and USB 3 data) and keep the USB 3 drive in my car.

(Time Capsure is also quite attractive and has a good solid feel about it.)

I highly recommend the above for a good solid wifi and backup home setup.

cheers

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.