Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Has there been any confirmation yet of whether the new models address whatever this not-power-supply-mystery problem is? I've been on the fence for a long time now, waiting for this answer.

The real problem is apples obsession with thin. They made the timecapusle to thin to have proper ventalation. If you put literally 2 sheets of paper on top the thing overheats and wont work. If you are sending data to the drive you can fry and egg on top of it.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
It still amazes me that Apple didn't test their backup hard drive more extensively before all of these consumer failures. This seems like it would be an even bigger embarrassment than the issues with their Powerbook G4 series.

But, I suppose they'll do the typical Apple thing, and pretend there's no problem with the drives, and it's just a bunch of unrelated cases all happening at once.

This seems to be standard Apple policy, they only seem to acknowledge problems if they hit the mainstream press.

At least they are replacing the broken Time Capsules, even if they aren't being totally honest about it.

That's good to hear. Too bad they can't blame the consumer for improper backups techniques though. "Oh, you lost data? Well did you back up your backup drive? No? Sucks for you."

TUCCI

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
Dead Time Capsule

Hey guys, mine died after 20 months of use...
I read now there might be a class action against Apple for this issue..
I refused giving my old TC back to APPLE to be replaced (I don't trust anyone with my data...) so I called my American Express to get a refund with my extended AMEX additional one year guarantee that they offer (no this is not an AMEX commercial guys...).
MY ONLY WORRY NOW is if I will lose my data trying to recover from the dead TC to my new back up system?
Any comments?

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Has there been any confirmation yet of whether the new models address whatever this not-power-supply-mystery problem is? I've been on the fence for a long time now, waiting for this answer.
I think it's going to get very crowded on the fence as I'm there as well.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Whelp, my 19 month old 500GB Time Capsule died yesterday. Thanks to the posts here and other places, I was prepared and pulled all important data (except for the backups) off the drive.

Called Apple and they were very good about it. I have AppleCare on a couple of computers in the house so they simply applied the Time Capsule to one of them. They are shipping the replacement today via overnight FedEx.

What's funny is I'm getting a new 1TB Time Capsule for Christmas so I will probably be selling this replacement. :)

I'm quite pleased with Apple support. They took care of me. I'm not happy with the Time Capsule however. I hope they addressed this issue in the new version of the Time Capsule.

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Te Wai Pounamu, New Zealand
This thread was pretty much the sole reason I went out and bought a 1TB TC yesterday. So far, seems to be working well (have it in bridget mode but eventually want to play around with having it as a primary router).

Will report back in about 18 months.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Mine died this morning. Luckily I had my mobile broadband thingy at hand so I could do a quick search to see if there were any tips. Glad I did otherwise I'd have just gone out and bought a new one. But after reading the Apple support forums and this thread I gave Apple a call and even though I don't have Apple Care on any of my macs and the TC was 9 months out of warranty they happily offered a free replacement. They may not be admitting there is a problem but at least if you contact them they do seem to be replacing them.

Now can't wait for the replacement to arrive as the netgear router I bought to tide me over is bloody ugly.

joaoferro37

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Vogon Planet Destructor
I saw a lot of post on Apple's forum about the problem on time capsule such as power supply failure, HDD over heat, lost of data and stuff.
I do not use time capsule, instead, I use air port extreme base station + stardom's safe capsule (built-in RAID 1 and auto rebuild) which I think is better than a single drive back up such as time capsule.
I can fully access, share between my Macs and use the USB hub as an extension and printer server.
I've only had it for few days so I cannot comment on the reliability but it runs cool and the built-in RAID 1 can hardly go wrong.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Whelp, my 19 month old 500GB Time Capsule died yesterday. Thanks to the posts here and other places, I was prepared and pulled all important data (except for the backups) off the drive.

Called Apple and they were very good about it. I have AppleCare on a couple of computers in the house so they simply applied the Time Capsule to one of them. They are shipping the replacement today via overnight FedEx.

What's funny is I'm getting a new 1TB Time Capsule for Christmas so I will probably be selling this replacement. :)

I'm quite pleased with Apple support. They took care of me. I'm not happy with the Time Capsule however. I hope they addressed this issue in the new version of the Time Capsule.

Just as a follow up. I received my replacement 500GB Time Capsule yesterday from Apple.

It came in a box with nothing but the Time Capsule itself. Quite frankly it looks brand new but I will never know for sure.

It works great. The only thing I noticed that was different was the hard drive. It doesn't sound like the same drive. It's not as noisy. Makes we wonder if they addressed the heat problem by using a different type of hard drive.

At any rate, it seems to work great. Apple really came through and it won't cost me a dime.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Just as a follow up. I received my replacement 500GB Time Capsule yesterday from Apple.

It came in a box with nothing but the Time Capsule itself. Quite frankly it looks brand new but I will never know for sure.

It works great. The only thing I noticed that was different was the hard drive. It doesn't sound like the same drive. It's not as noisy. Makes we wonder if they addressed the heat problem by using a different type of hard drive.

At any rate, it seems to work great. Apple really came through and it won't cost me a dime.
Mine is very quiet and like I said it doesn't get hot at all. It feel the same the Airport Extreme I had.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
Mine died on Sunday the 27th

I'll give Apple a call and report back on my findings. I have no Applecare and originally bought mine in February of 08.

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
This thread seems to have died......just like my TC did earlier today. (03/07/08-02/04/10).

Edited to add that I've had a very satisfactory conversation w/ an Apple rep, and that the issue has been resolved. Go, Apple! It's customer service such as what I just received that will have me a loyal user of their products for the foreseeable future.

bobcox

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Two Time Capsules Dead

My second TC died tonight - light went out and no life at all. This is a replacement TC for the one that died within a couple of months of purchase. However I am hoping that the 2 year extra apple care I purchased with my 24 inch imac may get me out of trouble. I'll let you know after I've spoken to Apple tomorrow.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
My second TC died tonight - light went out and no life at all. This is a replacement TC for the one that died within a couple of months of purchase. However I am hoping that the 2 year extra apple care I purchased with my 24 inch imac may get me out of trouble. I'll let you know after I've spoken to Apple tomorrow.

It should cover your TC also ...

bobcox

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Free Time Capsule from Apple

just a quick update. Apple have replaced my dead TC with a new one, even though my warranty on the imac was out of date by a couple of years (how time fly's). Asked me a couple of questions, tried to see if we could restart it by plugging it in with the reset button held in - nothing. OK, new one on the way and it arrived within a couple of days. Had to send the old one back (probably to refurb for one of you!) Thanks apple - mind you, I have bought a ton of stuff from them over the years, so only fair I think

mmccaskill

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
I bought mine March 7, 2008. Still have the email receipt. It died this evening at 8:00pm. Just over 2 years. I bought the original 1TB edition. Along with my Drobo acting funky, I think I'm going to make a ZFS NAS either using EON or FreeNAS.

normanfekrat

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
Loud Fan?

I noticed yesterday that the fan speed was really loud on my time capsule (TC 2TB, purchased Jan 2010). So I unplug it and plug it back in and that seems to work.. any suggestions on how to solve this before it becomes a major problem?

G

grubSTAKER

Apple Support

After reading the posts here, I thought it was a long shot to expect Apple support to help me. My Time Capsule was over two years old when it died yesterday. I thought to try anyway. Luckily, I had recently purchased two new Mac computers, and the support on them seemed to cover my Time Capsule. I should be receiving my replacement tomorrow. I only spent about 5 minutes on the phone, and will get a replacement at no cost.

MCKamm

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
Upstate NY
Replaced - free of charge

just a quick update. Apple have replaced my dead TC with a new one, even though my warranty on the imac was out of date by a couple of years (how time fly's). Asked me a couple of questions, tried to see if we could restart it by plugging it in with the reset button held in - nothing. OK, new one on the way and it arrived within a couple of days. Had to send the old one back (probably to refurb for one of you!) Thanks apple - mind you, I have bought a ton of stuff from them over the years, so only fair I think

Same for me....bought mine in March 2008. Died yesterday. After reading this thread, called Apple, spoke to tech. He ran me through the same routine, reset, change the outlet, etc... Then he told me that the serial number was in the range of the identified "problem" TimeCapsule's. Told me I could get a new one via mail, or I could go to my local Apple store. So I called the store, made an appointment at the Genius Desk, and walked out 15 minutes later with a brand new 1TB TimeCapsule. Free out of warranty replacement.

Did not cost a penny, and I have no Apple Care on any of my Mac's. THANKS APPLE!

jdr360

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
Holly crap!!

This is just insane!! My TC 2TB, less than a month old, just died!!! WTF!!! I'm not impressed with Apple products at all! What a waste of money!! I thought a company like Apple would test their products for faults like this. :mad:

What the hell Jobs!? Get your ***** together! I'm so very p!ssed that it would die after such a short time. I ordered it 02 Apr 2010!!! It's already dead 26 Apr 2010!!! Less than a month!!! WTF!!!! W T F ! ! ! :mad:

:mad: Jobs can take this piece of s!it and shove it up his A$$!!!!!! :mad:

Takeing back iMac 27" i7 2TB HD 8GB ram, 2TB TC back to the store and getting all my ****ing money back, I'm done with Apple crap!!!

Sorry for such a harsh post, but I'm just p!ssed!!

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
This is just insane!! My TC 2TB, less than a month old, just died!!! WTF!!! I'm not impressed with Apple products at all! What a waste of money!! I thought a company like Apple would test their products for faults like this. :mad:

What the hell Jobs!? Get your ***** together! I'm so very p!ssed that it would die after such a short time. I ordered it 02 Apr 2010!!! It's already dead 26 Apr 2010!!! Less than a month!!! WTF!!!! W T F ! ! ! :mad:

Takeing back iMac 27" i7 2TB HD 8GB ram, 2TB TC back to the store and getting all my ****ing money back, I'm done with Apple crap!!!

Not to belittle your situation, but as much QA/QC as a company can do, faulty units do slip out into the public. Granted, the Time Capsule has more than it's fair share of flaws, but you never hear about the ones that didn't die (mine for example, a first gen Time Capsule to boot). The great thing about Apple is they will gladly exchange it for a new unit, especially since yours is only a month old. Hopefully the next unit will be better and last significantly longer. If, however, you're willing to make up your mind about their entire product line based on this experience alone, you're probably better returning it and getting your money back. Although you shouldn't expect the same level of customer service you can expect from Apple from other computer manufacturers. Good luck with whichever system you choose :)

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

The "insane" here are only you,dude.
You just got a lemon, it happens with ALL electronic devices. The issue we are discussing in this thread is a totally different one ...

BTW, if you really consider to take back you iMac 27" i7 JUST for a faulty Time Capsule, you may be just a troll bashing Apple on the forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.