Time Capsule in Apple Store today!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dlmart2, Feb 29, 2008.

1. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

I am at the Apple Store now and just purchased a 1tb time capsule! They just came in a few minutes ago...

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

3. Critical Hippo macrumors member

Which Apple Store did you go to? I read on Apple's support forum that someone picked one up in Pennsylvania but that a person in California has encountered nothing but empty stores.

The North Michigan Avenue store in Chicago still says they are expecting them in sometime next week. I have to be about a block away from there later tonight anyway so I will drop by to see if they get a shipment in.

I'm not in a rush or anything, but I'm in need of an upgraded router/online storage and I've found that getting all my junk organized on my various computers is just as tedious and time-consuming as cleaning out the garage.

EDIT: Reportedly available in Delaware and Virginia as well, but apparently no love for the Left Coast or the Flyover States.

4. NoLongerAPCGuy macrumors newbie

Try the Michigan Avenue store around 1 - 1:30 pm. They usually get their deliveries around 12:30. I am hoping Oak Brook or Woodfield get their stock in this afternoon.

5. dlmart2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The store in Columbia, Maryland. The didn't have it on the shelves...I asked a tech and he said yes they had them in, when to the back and brought it out...

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I just called the SoHo store and they're not in stock yet.

7. dlmart2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update

Ok, Just hooked it up! It was a breeze to setup/configure, just like the AEBS (which it replaced) - took about 5 minutes or less. The drive shows up as a shared device and Time Machine was able to connect to it without any problems. Im doing an initial backup, and seems to be a decent speed.

The size of the TC is about the same height as the AEBS, but about 2 inches more in length & width. Kinda heavy (as expected with a HD inside).

8. RatSalad macrumors member

I got mine and it is all hooked up. Trying to figure out the range of it before I use my old router as a bridge. Set up wasn't bad considering I am new with this Mac stuff. Plus routers are my enemies. When my wife who doesn't know anything about computers sees me looking at a router just leaves the room because see knows what I am in for.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Could you tell us if you know that upon bridging TC with an older Apple base station if your wireless N gets throttled down to a the slower wireless G?

10. timish macrumors regular

Hi,
    Yes I am wondering the same exact thing.

Please if you have time test this:

Setup wireless N for 5Ghz channels
    Extend the wireless network to another Airport Extreme N class router (preferably gigabit)

I have three of these things in my house running extended and they are absolutely HORRIBLE with throughput in this configuration.

Thanks in advance

Tim

11. Kinetic macrumors member

Well, the Southpoint store in NC keeps saying they don't have any (but I've learned not to believe them cuz most of the time they are either too busy to help or they are clueless). The Crabtree store has the 500GB one but sold out of the terrabyte. I asked how many they had and they said 2. I cannot believe they only shipped 2 to the store! :( I've been waiting for this because my old router died a couple weeks ago so it either looks like I'll have to wait another week or just breakdown and get another brand.

12. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I hate to hijack a thread (but what the heck), is the throughput in this configuration horrible for all 3 routers, or only for connections to the two remote routesr? I have two laptops and an ATV hooked up to my AEBS. The ATV has a great connection but the laptops are quite limited. I'd love to add a second AEBS for the 2 laptops but would have to throttle back the ATV.

13. dlmart2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It looks as if the Time Capsule automatically partitions the drive when you use it with Time Machine. Upon setup, it automatically created a shared drive called "Main" for use normal storage use. When I setup Time Machine it created a drive called "Backup of XXXX's Computer" where XXXX = My Computer Name. This is where my Time Machine Backup is storing. When I browse the "main" shared drive, I can't see the backup data and when I browser the backup drive, I cant see the "main" data. pretty slick...

14. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Can you choose how big or small the partitions are? Or do you think it will adjust on the fly as it needs more space?

Kevin :apple:

15. McCarron macrumors regular

Does it create a drive for each computer then that you want to backup to the TM?

16. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I have 3 computers in my house, but only want two to have access to Time Machine (all 3 can have access to wireless internet). Can I lock the other 2 computers from Time Machine for back-up purposes or no?

17. klas macrumors newbie

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Short answer: yes.

19. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Thanks! Is this something that is pretty easily done? I cant wait to get it. I also am running G so wireless N will be a plus too!

20. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Keep in mind your computes also have to be Wireless-N, in addition to the router being Wireless-N.

If both aren't Wireless N, you are stuck at Wireless-G speeds.

21. dlmart2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks to be on the fly

22. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

This may be a stupid quesiton but it bears asking:

I have an iMac, MacBook and Apple TV that are Wireless N. But I also have an Xbox, PS3, and TiVo. Those aren't N. Can I be running at Wireless N speeds with my apple stuff but g/etc. with everything else?

23. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

engadget's first impressions sounds like you can run 802.11n on the 5ghz channel and 802.11b/g on 2.4ghz, which should allow N devices to have N speeds regardless of what b/g devices there are.

24. Area51Tazz macrumors member

I just bought the last 1TB from the Apple Store in Plano, TX