Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
"Server-grade storage

The massive 500GB or 1TB server-grade hard drive gives you all the capacity and safety you need for backing up all your Macs."

(Quote from apple online store about TM)

voidptr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007
The Deskstar has a 3 year warranty, the Ultrastar has a 5 year warranty.

Disk warranties from the original manufacturer generally don't mean anything for OEM applications of the drive. Your only warranty is with Apple; if the drive fails it's their job to replace it under the same warranty as the rest of the device. Hitachi won't touch an RMA request from you for a drive they sold for that use.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
I can't believe they would use the DEATHStar in any of their products. Hitachi hard drives are about as reliable as a drunk cab driver. I would have thought Seagate or WD. (I have had bad luck with Hitachi drives)
DeathStar.gif

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
Cause?

Ever wondered if they fitted the wrong hard drives to these early production time capsules?

Wouldn't be the first time early production got something wrong and aren't a lot of you always going on about Rev B.

Agreed you should never say one thing and do another but lets wait for the response from Apple before slinging the hard drive out with the wireless backup device.

John

notguiltystyle

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
This is absolutely disgraceful, false advertising:mad:\ They should change there website imediatly and and make an apology

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Now that we're a 2 mac household, we were going to get a 500gb model.

Now I hear it's Deskstars....forget it. I know they're long since moved away from the IBM Deathstar models that cased me a LOT of trouble and DAYS of lost work - but IBM's storage division ( now Hitachi ) handled that situation so badly, I, to this day, will not buy a drive from that line, and never will. It took a class action suit to get them to admit that product line was flawed. That it ever made it to consumers was a disgrace.

Forget the whole 'server grade' line, their selection of manufacturer has turned me off totally. No Sale.

Doug

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
I can't believe they would use the DEATHStar in any of their products. Hitachi hard drives are about as reliable as a drunk cab driver. I would have thought Seagate or WD. (I have had bad luck with Hitachi drives)

Hitachi drives are HIGHLY reliable. Only the 75GXP line had issues with bad bearings and that was a LONG time ago.

I currently have over 30 Deskstar drives in use over the past 6 years and have not had a single issue.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
A lot of over-reaction here. If Hitachi says it's suitable for a server, Apple is perfectly entitled to call it "server grade". End of story. Unless of course anyone can find a definition of "server grade" which contradicts this.

AppleMojo

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Sniff Sniff...

I smell a lawsuit.

You've got to be kidding. There will be no lawsuits, just refunds. What a joke.

If it were me, and I had indeed bought because of the server grade claim, then I would simply request a refund.

You let me know when someone can prove damages based on a pre-order for a product which wasn't yet finalized for shipping. Other than a refund, and possibly a pissed off customer, thats all you are going to get.

Also, I would have to dig a bit; however "server grade", I am sure is not a de-facto set standard without tolerances, and I am sure there is wiggle room on what Apple considers server grade. Besides MTBF, there are other factors to consider, and even MTBF or warranty alone is not enough to classify it.

Forget the whole 'server grade' line, their selection of manufacturer has turned me off totally. No Sale.

I am sure Apple is concerned now.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Deskstar series IS what Apple uses in their servers

At work we have three Xserve RAID units dating back to the original chassis with HSSDC2 Fibre Channel Ports. I knew all of the drives were Hitachi Deskstar's, but here are the part numbers used in Apple's official drive modules (grabbed via Xserve RAID admin just now):

500GB Modules - Hitachi Deskstar HDS725050KLAT80
400GB Modules - Hitachi Deskstar HDS724040KLAT80
240GB Modules - Hitachi Deskstar HDS722525VLAT80
180GB Modules - IBM Deskstar IC35L180AVV207-1

Not an Ultrastar in the bunch! They've been pretty reliable too, most of the drives we've had to replace are of the original 180GB variety from the oldest unit purchased in 2003. I don't remember replacing any of the 240/400/500GB modules.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
A lot of over-reaction here. If Hitachi says it's suitable for a server, Apple is perfectly entitled to call it "server grade". End of story. Unless of course anyone can find a definition of "server grade" which contradicts this.

MTFB rating of 1,000,000+ hours.

iphrank

macrumors newbie
Agreed, but both Hitachi and Seagate both sell lines of higher reliability "enterprise" SATA drives.

Seagate claims 750,000 hour MTBF for the standard drives, and 1.2 million hour for the ES enterprise drives.

When the vendor that Apple is using clearly states that one line is consumer, and the other line is enterprise - then Apple looks bad if they install the drives that the vendor is calling "consumer".

This might just explain why the TimeCapsule was priced so competitively.
ie: "roughly" adding an Airport Extreme + Enterprise HDD = Didn't make financial sense, where as using a standard HDD did.
thats my AUS$0.02 worth.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
even without multitasking mac os 9 was the best OS for internet. oops, or so, apple marketing said.

Mac OS 9 had multi tasking, it was cooperative multitasking and not the preemptive variety found in OS X.

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
Apple LIES twice in two months !!!

Most people wont even notice the difference. Besides Apple could just remove the server grade line making it a moot point.

That is false advertising, but is typical of Apple of late -- revisionist history.

Time Machine and Time Capsule have class action written all over them. This is TWICE in two months that Apple has stated one set of features, gotten early adopters to buy in, then switched to an inferrior offering when shipping. (Saying first that Time Machine would work with APE disks, then that Time Capsule would use server grade drives).

This is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE and is deceptive marketing practice that should result in the dismissal of some folks at Apple.

Lame.
:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.