Time capsule or external HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yizi, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Yizi macrumors regular

OK, Simple question, i need to back up my stuff (graphic designer) shall i buy a time capsule from apple or get a external HD and confugure it with time machine?

Thanks,
    Yizi

2. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Do you already have a wireless router? If yes, then you're paying a fair premium to replace hardware you already have

Are you using a laptop or desktop? If a desktop, wireless doesn't buy you anything over a USB or FireWire drive.

3. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

I have a desktop and i have a wireless router. So ... ?

4. iGary Guest

iGary

So get an external drive.

He's saying "why get a Time Capsule if you already have wireless."

5. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

OK, great at least its going to be cheaper, but USB or FireWire?

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Time Capsule is GREAT if you are using a MacBook (i.e. laptop) because you don't have to plug anything in and it automatically backs up. For my iMac, I use a separate external HD because I can leave it plugged in all the time and it does a backup when necessary.

USB is fine.

Cheers.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

FireWire if you want to make a bootable backup.

What program are you planning on using for backup?

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea ... Firewire for a bootable backup. I keep a firewire backup in my MacBook bag, just in case my HD craps out when I am away on business.

However, USB works just fine for Time Machine backups and restores. I use a USB drive for my iMac (and my Mac Pro).

I'd buy which ever is more affordable.

Cheers.

9. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

FireWire definitely. If that's the only computer (iMac) that'll be used for TM then definitely get an external HD and always keep it plugged in. I recommend LaCie.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It is all a matter of money and convenience. If you use more than one computer, especially laptops, then Time Capsule is very nice because all the computers are backed up without having to plug in anywhere.

For a single desktop Mac, an external hard drive is just as fine and a lot cheaper. For external drives, Firewire is faster, USB is cheaper. And one thing to remember: If someone breaks in and steals your equipment, both the computer and the backup drive could be gone. That is an advantage of Time Capsule because you can put it into a cupboard far away from the computer.

11. Yizi thread starter macrumors regular

12. lettershome macrumors newbie

I found a TB firewire drive for just about $200. Hooked it up and pointed Time Machine to it...works perfectly.

If you're a designer and working on a desktop machine you'll be able to get much more backup storage for your $ if you go with a third party, plug-in option.

13. DaveF macrumors 6502a

USB drives are bootable with intel macs.

14. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

Time Capsules as mentioned are great for someone just starting out...that is without a router. A couple of things can effect this tho...for instance I had a wireless G router and wanted N....so I just got the time capsule so that I could upgrade all at once. Another thing would be if you wanted everything in one device....I mean I don't care about this but a lot of people do..... I agree tho if you have desktop then USB or Firewire is a better option......

15. helimx macrumors newbie

ok, super newb question.

I'm thinking of getting a 1tb time capsule. I have a macbook pro.
    I mainly want to store my itunes library, and a few other things on it. I don't have wireless at my house, yet, but plan to get it shortly.(just moved in)
    Is the data transfer pretty fast using the wireless of the time capsule? Is there any way of physically plugging into a timecapsule? And could i keep my entire itunes library on it instead of on my macbook? basically, my macbook has 2 or 3 gigs of free space left, and i've avoided putting anything else on the computer just because I don't want to run out of space. and when i add songs to my itunes acct on the laptop, will they automatically go to the timecapsule the next time my macbook is within range? And I have over 500 cds to add to my itunes library still. by the time i'm done, i figure i'll have over 700 gig in music and movies.

I'm pretty computer illiterate, and definately mac illiterate. So any "lamens terms" advice is appreciated. thanks!!!!!

oh, ps, I've tried searching, but so many of the threads are filled with so much technical jargon, that i get lost or confused..lol
    and another note, I don't think i have the "time machine" program. i believe my O.S. is tiger?<<<<told ya i'm a super newb. lol

16. DaveF macrumors 6502a

The Time Capsule is Apple's Airport Extreme Base Station -- a draft-n, gigabit router -- plus an integrated hard drive.

It will give you a wireless network, supporting up to 802.11n (draft) for a fast wireless network. It has three gigabit (1000 Mbps) ethernet ports for connecting wired network devices. And it has the integrated hard drive for use with Time Machine or as an external, networked drive.

17. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well... like the other posters said...
    If you already have a wireless router then you don't really have a need to get the Time Capsule, especially if you're using a desktop.
    So you should get an external hard drive.
    One brand that I really like is Western Digital.