Time capsule placement

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by MrMister111, Dec 2, 2016.

1. MrMister111, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016

MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I have a router and time capsule on ground floor of a 3 story house.

WiFi is ok tbh around the house, prob only on 1 TV, and sometimes apple TV on top floor drops sometimes

But I'm thinking would it be better to get powerline and plug the time capsule on middle floor connected to powerline for better WiFi?

Or should I leave the time capsule where it is, and get another powerline wireless and use that on middle floor. The type where it uses powerline but is also WiFi transmitter?

Thanks

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. hobowankenobi macrumors regular

If it were me, I would consider separating the router from the backup.

Yes, generally speaking, if you have a single wireless access point (WAP), you normally would expect best overall coverage with centrally located. Keep in mind, materials and angles matter when we are talking wifi, so test locations extensively before picking a permanent spot.

As for what to backup to.....a NAS that supports TM is something to consider, or a router with an attached drive as mentioned. There are many options....

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I assume that "router" is whatever gives your home access to the outside world. Since Apple routers are soon to be discontinued, you might get an Airport Express now, connect either the airport express or time Time Capsule to the router and the other one further away where it still works reliably, so you get more WiFi coverage through the rest of the house. When you consider which one to put where, put the Time Capsule where it is savest from thieves.

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

I still need to use my ISP's modem no matter what as well as the TC.

Apparently using the TC somewhere else in house is fine, but if it's not wired link to the modem then the wireless signal is just"repeating" ?

I'd prefer the TC upstairs and the modem/hub from ISP downstairs for better coverage

6. satinsilverem2, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016

satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I also live in a three story house (about 3500 sqft) and I have my Time Capsule located centrally on the second floor and have no issues with range or throughput. I do however have an Airport Express located in a detached garage but I dont think I need it. Its there more for peace of mind.

7. MrMister111, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Can I ask what your exact setup is then please? I'm tied to my phone line for ISP on ground floor, so no matter what I have to have the modem there.

I'd like maybe then to have the TC upstairs for better coverage. Not sure if this would work, or of can use it as purely wireless or wired via powerline.

Thanks

8. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

My ISP is FiOS so I use the G1100 Router as the modem with wireless turned off. Off the back of the G1100 ethernet runs to a 16 port gigabit switch located in a structured wiring panel to get distributed through the house. The Time Capsule is connected through this switch and runs wireless duties. The airport express located in the garage is also hardwired to the switch. My incoming connection is 300/300 mbps and I get that almost everywhere except for the garage due to the 802.11n express. If the device has an ethernet port I tend to use that for reliability. My setup is extremely reliable and haven't hadn't had an issue in the 3 years its been running. The only weak link is the FiOS router as I'm on my third one in a year and a half.

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

So it sounds like I could move my TC upstairs and use PowerLine to connect wired to my modem? and then switch off WiFi on modem?

10. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

you could do that. I don't really know much about power line networking and I would try to advise using it as the main connection between the modem and the router. I would however recommend placing the router centrally on the second floor as that seems to be the best location.

11. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Can't put the router on 2nd floor though as needs to be connected to the incoming phone line master socket which is on first floor, not ideal. That's why I'm thinking maybe get another PowerLine and move the TC to 2nd floor and use that. Wouldn't this be better all around as mostly all devices are on 2nd floor anyway, the only device on first is a computer connected via PowerLine