Time Capsule Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mattrsa, Mar 16, 2008.

1. mattrsa macrumors member

Ok some of you may have read my other post about having problems with the capsule, well I finally got it working on friday just before I was going away for the w end , so I set it to back up my 50gig which is not much and I have just got back and it has crashed my mac book again when it got to 11gig.

what is wrong with this dam thing, surely it should work better than this, this is the third time the macbook has crashed since I tried to use the time capsule.

Matt

2. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

i have now managed to set it up through the airport utility to use ethernet and have told it to backup but it just says preparing to backup and has said so for the last 20 min

3. basqarl macrumors regular

I tried to set it up; cannot physically get the power cord to plug into the back of the Time Capsule itself. I've triple checked....have plugged it in correctly, etc.

Could it be a faulty cord? Am I nuts? (Don't answer that =)

4. ljones macrumors regular

I had similar problems with my first backup. After that all was fine.

Although from time to time i lose connection with my network and i have to manually enter everything since I have it set to closed network. This doesn't happen when the network is seen by all. The one time the connection dropped, i had to restart to get any Time Machine updates to function like normal, the disk image refused to mount. I restated my mac Pro and all was back to normal.

5. macdent macrumors newbie

Attaching external HD to TC

I have attached an external HD to the USB port on my TC - now does anyone know how to connect to it!!??? I thought it should show up with the TC folder but do not seem to find it anywhere. Help please!!

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I had trouble getting the power cord in as well, on mine it was just a tight fit and required some finagling to get it in.

7. DutchAussie macrumors newbie

I have the same problem.
    When I first installed the Time Capsule it all worked fine.
    Since then it has tried every hour to do a backup and just sits there saying" Preparing to backup".
    I have tried resetting as per the Apple booklet but the result is the same each time.
    I have always had good results with Apple equipment but this is driving me around the bend.
    Have you received any replies to this problem apart from my reply?

8. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

do you have any antivirus running, I found that the problem with mine was the antivirus trying to scan every file before copying it to the TC,

I simply disabled the antivirus and off it went, backed up 60gig in about 4 hours over ethernet

9. X district X macrumors newbie

Well I'm on night 4 of trying to set up this nightmare product I think mine is faulty cos when it writes the info to the capsule it doesn't restart and just says try closing the configuration pane and try again. I think I'm gonna take this heap of junk back cos this is just so frustrating.
    apple have really dropped the ball on this one in my opinion

10. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Maybe be a bit more clear with your issue and we can help out? Time Capsule does take more configuration than a typical Apple product, but I find it works quite well.
    Why would you run antivirus in OS X? When there are no viruses?? Throwing money out the window and cluttering your system...

11. mattrsa thread starter macrumors member

I have to run antivirus as I am running this laptop on a work(university) network and everthing connected to the network is required to have sophos antivirus running

12. dL. macrumors 6502

Just got mine 2 days ago and the initial backup for both my Macs took 20 hours wirelessly. Not a single problem. Loving mine.

dL

13. DutchAussie macrumors newbie

No, I have no anti-virus software on the computer.
    I have tried many things suggested in different forums and none have worked so far.
    I am about to throw it through the window.
    I have always been happy with Apple equipment but this item is driving me nuts.

14. X district X macrumors newbie

ok so after 4 nights of hell I finally Got it working over Ethernet and it backed up all the info no problem so my problem occurs when I want to set it up wirelessly, am I correct in thinking that to do this you go through the set up and tick " I want time capsule to wirelessly join my network" then select my by home hub from the drop down menu? Cos when i do this it says that the settings have been written to the time capsule and its waiting for it to restart but then it doesn't show up again and says it cant find the apple wireless device?

Any ideas or help on this would be much appreciated

Also does anyone else here have a bt homehub? If so is the wireless security wep40 ? Cos I thought it was 128 hex - maybe this is why it can't find it???

15. DutchAussie macrumors newbie

It works!

After many attempts I finally have the Time Capsule working by deleting it's Pref file.

My problem is now that it tells me I have 839.1 GB of 929.5 GB available after adding many GB to my MacBook.

Does anyone else have this problem?

16. FastMan macrumors member

I got so fed up with wrestling with the thing, I sent it back and got a 2TB external for the same money. Hooked up easy, and works like a charm. So glad I dumped the capsule.

17. betoide1 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem

Im having the same problem as you. When i start backing up it says "preparing to backup" but it doesn't start. Yesterday i left my computer on for about 2 hours to see if it starts, and i saw that it was backing up 250 MB, so i thought is was working but it never ended.
    Want did you do about it? Help me, i dont know what to do!
    Beacuase i think my printer is not working.
    HELP!:)

18. DutchAussie macrumors newbie

Betoide1,

I have been frustated for weeks before I carried out the following:

Remove:

com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

from Library/Preferences

This worked for me and the Time Machine has been working fine since November 2008.
    My printer will not work from Time Machine.
    I hope this helps you.

19. RS232 macrumors regular

RS232

Cheers!

Was having trouble doing my first backup over ethernet until I read your tip DutchAussie... it works a treat!

Many thanks! :)

20. DutchAussie macrumors newbie

Glad to be of help.
    Betoide1, I hope this works for you.

21. RS232 macrumors regular

RS232

Still working fine, Dutch Aussie... using the ethernet method on first backup, how long would it take to backup 100GB worth? Just wondering! :rolleyes:

22. DutchAussie macrumors newbie

RS232, you have probably found out it may take 24 hours.

23. youbetcharaid macrumors newbie

Safe Capsule product from Stardom

I've been using the Safe Capsule product purchased through www.macsales.com & it's been working like a charm. With 2 drives in a RAID 1, I've got all my data backed up & the product has an internal power supply. Awesome product which I highly recommend.

24. joaoferro37 macrumors 6502

joaoferro37

I just received the 4TB Safe Capsule that I ordered on newegg.com the other day. It looks pretty cool, a large fan, internal power supply and a lot of openings to bring down the heat. It did not mention on stardom's site but I assume it will work with airport extreme base station as well.

Attached Files:

25. youbetcharaid macrumors newbie

Follow up on Stardom Safe Capsule

Ok guys, it's official, this is a great product, it's trouble free, it runs cool & I'm happy with 1TB mirrored inside. I'll post more later as the drives fill with data. I'm very happy with the workflow with this product.