Time Capsule question: direct / wireless internet make a difference?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SPNarwhal, Nov 19, 2009.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Does it make a difference in speed if I have the time capsule connected directly to the internet, opposed to it connecting wirelessly?

I'm still backing up and using the Time Capsule wirelessly from my computer,
    but I have the internet plugged directly into it- making a wireless network for my laptop to pick up.

Does it make a difference? I would kindof imagine that it would only make much difference if I plugged my laptop itself to the Time Capsule directly, since wireless internet speed doesn't seem to different on it's own anyway.

I'm pretty sure this makes no difference, but I don't know much about it.
    Opinions?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you mean Ethernet by Internet?

Internet is the global network in which you get email, www, ftp and stuff like that.

Ethernet is a cabled connection, like wireless is a wireless connection.

As the Time Capsule (TC) has 1Gbit Ethernet ports, you will get faster backup speeds by cable (with a Gigabit cable) than by wireless connection as that is only 1/7 of the speeds offered by Gigabit Ethernet.

Your TC is also a router which connects to the Internet and its services by using the WAN port to connect to the modem. The TC then offers to create a wireless network, over which one can get to the Internet, and it also offers three Gigabit Ethernet ports to connect to the TC by cable, and create a Gigabit network this way.

[​IMG]

Also see this review: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...thernet_vs_802_11g_n_wireless_networking.html
    [​IMG]

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

What I'm asking is,
    instead of the Time Capsule completely being alone on a desk where it was receiving wireless internet and also connecting to my laptop wirelessly,
    it is now connected directly to my Modem and receiving internet directly,
    but it is still connecting to my laptop wirelessly.
    So I'm assuming it doesn't make a difference in speed unless I'm directly plugged into the Time Capsule with my laptop.

I was asking if the Time Capsule would wirelessly receive my files faster now that it's connected to my modem directly (through an ethernet cord) instead of picking the internet up wirelessly.

It would still receive and send out data to my laptop just the same, right?
    Or would it make a difference in speed?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The speed of the Internet and the speed of the wireless network have nothing to do with each other.

If you have for example a 16Mbit/s connection to the Internet, you will get the same speeds via wire or via Airport, unless you have a foxing Internet connection of more than 100Mbit/s, then the cable connection will be faster.

Also are you sure the modem is only a modem, or is it a modem/router combination?
    Does the TC dial into the Internet (via PPPoE)
    [​IMG]
    or is the modem the one dialing in, and the TC just connects to the already existing wireless LAN?

In short, backing up wirelessly to your TC will not speed up, just because the TC is connected to the modem(/router?) by wire.

5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

alright, great.
    that's what I thought.
    thanks for confirmation.