Time Capsule shortage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by carb850, Feb 18, 2012.

1. carb850 macrumors newbie

I'm going to be purchasing my first Mac (iMac) in the very near future. I was wanting to go ahead and replace my aging (and finicky) Linksys G router at the same time with a 2TB Time Capsule. However they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Many are suggesting it is because of HD shortages, but could it be from an imminent refresh? Thunderbolt perhaps?

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

online ordering ships in 1-2 weeks

Time Capsule was just updated, I doubt they are updating it again.

And it's unlikely to get ThunderBolt. The whole premise of Time Capsule is wireless, and since it's not an SSD or RAID setup, you aren't going to see huge speed improvements even if TB was implemented because the read/write of the slow mechanical hard drive is still your biggest bottleneck.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'd still like to see the rumored iCloud integration (local mirroring) that had been rumored at the last turn.

B

4. carb850 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I thought I heard that current Firewire and USB speeds are a bottle neck. Maybe they were reffering to some faster drives.

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

yes, the usb/fw speed is the bottleneck, but a hard drive wouldn't be able to saturate a thunderbolt connection. Speed increases would be minimal, and like i said, the premise of TC is a wireless backup solution, not one you plug into every day.

6. carb850 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will have the TC sitting beside if my desktop hard wired in. My Apple TV and PS3 will be connected via Cat6 cables. Only wireless devices will be a couple iphones and eventually ipad.

I read a few people post about slow down when the backup it's running. I was just thinking thunderbolt could minimize that if the slow down was do to the connection speeds.

Could I store videos like on an external drive as well as run time machine in the TC?

7. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Yes. I do this and stream wirelessly to my MBP from a TC with a USB-connected hard drive.

8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

well obviously if it's backing up over wifi, you are using bandwidth and your connection will "slow" for other devices.

yes having TB would *slightly* speed this up, but for the very few uses it would have, and the minimal time, apple didn't implement it. Likely because of the cost of the controllers, space required, and/or price of including a TB cable.

You can wish for TB all you want, the TC was updated a few months ago, and is not likely to see an update for a while.

The initial backup may take a while, but after that only changed files are backed up so it really doesn't take that long unless you are editing and backing up 10+gb video files on a daily basis, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Yes, there is a USB port on the TC so that you can plug in a hard drive or printer.

9. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

OP is talking about hardwiring the TC, so if they are backing up over gigabit, they certainly won't notice any slowdown. But, as you say, neither will TB make any kind of noticeable difference.

I guess as I think about this, I have to ask OP what is the whole purpose of a TC if you are just going to hard-wire it? For a router, you could buy an Airport Extreme, which is arguably more reliable than a TC, and just hook USB drives as needed to the iMac. One of those USB (or even FW or TB) drives or a partition on it could be a Time Machine drive.

I love my TC, but introducing a nominally un-upgradable hard drive into a wireless router may not make as much sense if you are just going to hard-wire all the backup and network storage anyway.

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

which is why i said: if you're backing up over WI-FI, it will "slow" other devices. I wasn't telling him that in his situation it will "slow down," but rather answering his question of "i have heard few people post about slow down when the backup it's running" ;)

but yes, I agree, stupid to have an all in one device like the TC if you aren't using it for it's intended purposes (a wireless router with a built in HDD for wireless backups) As you said, many other backup solutions that make more sense if all of your devices are on one desk.

11. carb850 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me reword that. My iMac will connect to TC via Ethernet sitting on the same desk. My Apple TV and PS3 will be connected via Ethernet which I hardwired already into the living room. We will connect phones and iPad (once we get one) up to the wifi.

I was looking at the TC so I could use the Time Machines on the Mac for backup reasons. This could be done with external drive + Airport extreme cheaper but then I have 2 devices sitting on the desk rather than one. Just concerned about cleanliness alone.

As I rip my DVD collection with Handbrake I would like to find a place to store those that can be shares easily with the Apple TV 2. Either on the iMac itself or on a partition of the TC. I didn't mean to suggest an external drive and also the TC.

If I'm missing any other potential uses of the TC here I'd love to know.

Also any reasons to use an Airport Extreme + External drive instead of the TC for my uses above (excluding cost difference)?

12. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Apple doesn't recommend using the TC drive itself for anything other than Time Machine backups, so I'd assumed you'd have a second device on the desktop anyway. What you want to do wrt storing stuff on the TC can be done, it just isn't preferred.

The added benefit of having another external drive for media is that you can replace it, move it, upgrade it etc. without affecting your backups on the TC. It will be a LONG time before I fill up 2TB with backups from my MBP, but I like knowing all that space is there, so I'm content to leave it alone.

13. carb850 thread starter macrumors newbie

To share movies over my network, would it be better to have a HD hooked up to the desktop or a HD hooked up via the router? Being new to MAC, I'm not sure how the 'sleep' and if that would make the data unavailable to the AppleTV.

14. Dweez, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I just got mine on Thursday after placing the order nearly a 3 weeks ago. I acquired mine with Marriott points, and was notified from the middleman that the item was back ordered.

15. flynz4, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think it is great that you were able to connect everything together use wired ethernet instead of wireless. Wired connections are more stable and generally faster. The only suggestion I might make is to keep the TC away from the computer (possibly with the TV equipment). If your local junkie does a smash and grab of your iMac... you would not want the TC backup to be stollen at the same time.

Personally... I think the utility of TC is better than attaching a HDD to the router. Apple seems to discourage the use of NAS devices (other than TC) for backup. People get them to work... but we read about a lot of finicky behavior as well. The iMac/TM/TC combination is nearly bulletproof.

My Apple TVs get their content from my iMac. If you keep your movies in your iTunes library... then you can access them from your ATV. You will also have access to your iTunes music and also your photos from iPhoto or Aperture. I keep my iMac on 24/7.

/Jim

16. carb850 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great idea but it would take more work on my end bringing in the Cable TV internet into my living room area. But something to consider in the future for sure.

Simple and bulletproof is everything I'm seeking rolled up in one. I been using Windows since 3.11. The last computer I purchased was 13 years ago, ever since I have been slowly upgrading in 2-3 year phases. Just a piece here and there to keep cost incremental. I have no interest in upgrading anymore, I just want things to work. Now that we are cutting the cable, getting more mobile devices, etc. I want everything to work as harmoniously as possible. That led me to buy into the Mac eco-system hole hog.

Is it ON all the time or in some type of hibernate? I believe Mac's tend to stay ON most of the time but the screen is off, correct?

17. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Valid point. In that case I would use the TC as your router and your back-up destination. Moving it to another room is a minor improvement, and does not help other types of disasters, such as a house fire.

The combination of a TC for local backup, and cloud backup for disaster recovery would have you covered. I have used both Mozy and Crashplan+ over the years. I currently use CP+ and could not be happier.

Yes, the screen shuts off when not in use. You can set up the time in system preferences.

/Jim

18. urkel, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

While its true it isn't that old, we have to consider that the June 2011 update was pretty weak in terms of what sort of potential an Apple Brand NAS would be so that model may have been just a placeholder between the "true" update.

1) iTunes Server. My AppleTV is located 3" away from my Time Capsule but I had to buy a Mac Mini who's primary purpose is to serve iTunes to my AppleTV.

2) Thunderbolt. It may not make sense over a network but if anyone who's ever restored a computer off a Time Capsule backup then knows that a high speed port DOES serve a purpose. Don't forget that the Air lacks an Ethernet port so it literally took 18hrs for my initial TC backup, and 24hrs for a restore.

3) Apple Television/AppleTV 3 Storage. Imagine if Apple's next TV project has Thunderbolt. Suddenly you'll need a disk to access. Apple doesn't make hard drives, but they do make the Time Capsule and this can easily be marketed to every AppleTV owner who wants a direct connection to local content and storage.

4) DVR We always hear how DVR cuts into their iTunes model but IF Apple is getting in the Television business then they're also in the DVR business and there's no chance they would want users to taint their product with a TiVo or Comcast box attached to it when they could just do it themselves... and store it on your TB connected Time Capsule drive?

It's entirely possible the shortage is due to the Taiwan HDD manufacturing issues, but I'm feeling that Apple has a lot more in store for this product than what we have now.

19. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

1. This could most likely be done via software update.

2. I think we would see USB 3 before TB. Cheaper to integrate, not going to require a $99 cable from :apple:, etc. Still, even if they added TB or USB3, it's only going to go as fast as the read/write of the HDD. Maybe around 100MB/s, so about double the speed of USB2. Pretty expensive to implement TB for the maybe once a year you need to use restore??

3. Also could be done via software update.

4. Apple doesn't have any type of interface with your cable/satellite, why would they want you to hook your TC up to your tivo or directv box to use the hdd as additional storage? If you want additional storage buy a regular hard drive. Maybe at some point when an apple tv set or different kind of set top box is released we would see the TC gain this feature, but Apple could really care less about letting you use a TC as additional storage for your tivo.

I do agree that numbers 1 and 3, the TC should do. Kind of surprised that they don't actually.

20. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I really don't see Apple focusing on anything wired. TB is nice but is really kind of a niche deal. I mean, I think the only reason the TC even has more than one ethernet port is because "most other routers" do. Other than that, they make it a little convoluted to hook anything wired to it. I mean, I have to buy a USB hub just to hook up an external drive and a printer? C'mon.

Anyway, if the iTV and TC-type device are going to interface, the primary way would be over wi-fi.

While I also would love it, I don't see Apple promoting local storage too much either. Seems like their future strategy is your library is on their servers, not on a hard drive somewhere in your house. I don't necessarily agree with that, but the cloud is here to stay. The transformation of the Apple TV is a perfect example of that. Bulk storage and moving parts are going away slowly but surely.

21. hafr macrumors 68030

Apple supported the use of external disks connected to the AEBS for Time Machine backups, but then did a 180 and now they say it can't be done. Which is a lie. My guess is they don't want to lose out on the profit. Because if they say it can't be done, people will get a TC instead of an AEBS and using their old external drive or a new one from another company. But if they just say they don't recommend it, people will do it anyway to save the money.

22. urkel, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

1/3) Just because Apple can do software update doesn't mean they will. Siri being the latest example where the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 CAN handle it but most likely they'll use it as incentive to get people to buy new hardware. And many people would gladly do it because those would be strong selling points.

2) I agree about the cost of implementing TB vs USB3. But if they put USB3 I'm still stuck because the Air doesn't have it while every Mac now does have TB. Personally, I feel TB is too early and I'd prefer USB3 on my macs.

4) Sorry for being unclear but I meant DVR would be part of their TV IFthey did it. And to me, they won't get in the TV market. because the idea of managing 50" TV's just seems like too much trouble so Im thinking they'll just make a super AppleTV. But Im just making stupid guesses for the sake of discussion.

23. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

1. yeah, i didn't say they would, just that they could do those updates via software and that they wouldn't require a new Time Capsule. :D

2. Yeah, usb3 should be implemented in macs with ivy bridge, so that might bring usb3 to the TC this summer.

4. They are honestly all guesses at this point. IMO a set top makes more sense. I'd rather buy one TV to last 6-7 years and upgrade a box every 3 years or so, than have to upgrade my whole tv. I think a lot of people will be upset if their tv still works perfectly fine, but they are being asked to upgrade just to get features a-f in the new update. Some people will understand that the hardware has changed and requires an update, but i think most people will see their appletv, and the new appletv, and they will both look the exact same and they will say why can't mine do that?

24. carb850 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to hijack my own thread. :)

I purchased my iMac a few days ago along with Apple Care. I'm likely going to be ordering a TC in the coming weeks. Reading the warranty description, it sounds to me like it would be covered under my Apple Care I got for the iMac, but while on the phone with Apple for another issue I asked and they said no, only if purchased at the same time. I reread the terms of the agreement and I'm still not convinced the phone representative is correct. It even gives a timeframe if you owned it a specific time before you got the iMac it would be covered.

So anyone else disagree with the representative I had on the phone? Getting it covered under the same term as this AppleCare I just got was a important thing for me considering some of the reliability issues I have read about with others.

25. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I went through the same exercise at Christmas... except with an Apple Thunderbolt Display (ATD). After several calls with Apple... they concluded that for a TC... they did NOT have to be on the same receipt... but needed to be purchased within a certain time window (I forget the exact amount). However, for the TBD, they needed to be purchased together.

Since I had just purchased an iMac, and I was within the return window of the computer... they modified my original order and placed the ATD onto the same order as my iMac. It showed up as two devices ordered together... but with the ATD having a later ship date.

/Jim