Time Capsule wireless range = not good?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by grimslade, Mar 4, 2008.

1. grimslade macrumors member

I've been trying to get my TC up and running. What I've found is that the TC seems to have considerably less range than my Verizon-provided Westell DSL Modem/Router. As in, I get no signal from the TC in rooms in my house in which the Westell router does just fine.

This is frustrating. Has anyone else noted poor range from TC's base station? Have any tricks/tips?

TIA

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You could try an set it to 5Ghz rather than the default 2.4. There may be other appliances in the 2.4Hhz frequency that may be interfering.

3. grimslade thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I've got it on 5Ghz only. Reception still stinks. No one else thinks so? Maybe it's just me...

4. transitman macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I have had poor reception also.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Is the time capsule worse than the AEBS? My AEBS has significantly longer range in 802.11n 2.4Ghz mode than my old router...

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

7. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

8. bam bam macrumors newbie

I installed the TC last weekend in our computer room, which is in the front of the house. I replaced a 2-3 year old Linksys router (probably running 'b') which was running just fine.

I thought 'n' was going to be an improvement - wrong!! I don't get nearly the same range from the TC that I did with that old $50 router. Most of the rooms in the back of the house have are getting a signal strength of 3 out of 5 bars. We used to get to 5 bars.

Very strange. I certainly did not expect to get a worse signal from a $300 device.

9. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Same here, I was so exited, but it's nothing but a disappointment

10. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

It's the 5Ghz that's causing the problems, I think. The higher frequency does not travel so far. Try switching it to 2.4 Ghz and you'll find much better distance. Of course, you then lose transfer speed.

I had this problem with my AEBS. I kept it at 2.4 Ghz until the new Airport Express came out and then bought two of those as a range extender. Now at 5 Ghz right throughout 3 floors of my house.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I wonder what's causing people to have such bad reception. I have a pretty big house, Time Capsule at 5GHz (802.11n only) on the middle floor near far corner. Full bars reception throughout the house.

12. grimslade thread starter macrumors member

I've come to that conclusion as well. It seems to be working fine on 2.4G. It gives up some speed, but speed doesn't matter if I can't get a signal. My apartment is not huge, but the walls are pretty thick, and I guess they don't play nicely with 5GHz. My TC is not ideally situated either, but it's where my Internet connection comes in, so I can't do much about it right now. My Express (with N) didn't help either, because where I have it (near my stereo), it couldn't hold a signal from the base station. Ah, well... I may get another couple of Expresses at some point and go back to tinkering. For now, I've gone to N (g/b/a compatible) and disabled my DSL modem's wireless function.

13. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

I am seeing this issue on mine too, but it is a little wierd. My g/f's Macbook can see it just fine with the current settings. My Macbook pro is having issues. Any ideas there?

14. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I'm getting much better signal using 5 GHZ. When my Apple TV was using 2.4 GHZ, I had about 3 bars. When using 5 GHZ, all bars lit up.

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think in general, in a clean spectrum, 2.4GHz will have been speeds at further distances than the same signal in 5GHz.

I think the major problem with the 2.4GHz is the interference from a) other devices b) other wireless networks.

The 5GHz band is clearer, but I think in general the wavelengths don't go as far.

I tested a TC running 5GHz n only this weekend....and a Linksys running 2.4GHz G only. After a certain point.....maybe a 150 or so feet away, I got better speeds on the G network than the N network.

-Kevin

16. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

I tried moving the laptop around in the house and it seems to be an issue with one room. I am still trying to work that out.

17. swamph3 macrumors newbie

Sometimes I wonder if the range problem with the TC and the AEX is in the design. Sure it looks great, but everybody else in the world that makes these things have external antennas sticking out of them.

18. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I thought that too...but if you look at the new line of Linksys routers, which are replacing the current blue generation:

[​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8639958&type=product&id=1194054018654

No antennas at all. Looks like all the new Linksys models are going with this new design.

-Kevin

19. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

houses, rooms, all differ

One thing that people never think about is that every house (and sometimes every room), can react differently to radio waves. My hundred year old pile of wood and plaster is virtually radio-transparent, but not all houses are.

Brick versus wood walls makes a difference, but more importantly there are a lot of places downtown nowadays that are made of concrete and steel. A lot of residential houses in the suburbs also use those idiotic metal studs in the walls. :eek:

In other words, if you live in a newer house or condo you could have your Time Machine situated in the equivalent of a Faraday cage.

20. swamph3 macrumors newbie

I wonder if that Linksys model ends up with a reduction in range versus the older models with two antenna and that spatula thing in the middle.

21. digik9 macrumors newbie

I'm currently in the basement connected to that Linksys model, while at the same time I can't even see my TC which is siting right next to the Linksys. I'm no more than 6 feet below and 30 feet away, 5 bars on Linksys, TC not even visible. TC is on 5GHz, I guess if I want to use it in my house I'll have to switch it to 2.4 :(

22. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I have noticed the range of the TC when using 5GHz only to be less than a 2.5GHz Linksys. I attribute this to the 5GHz vs. 2.4GHz however, not the Linksys vs. the TC.

-Kevin

23. DrewB macrumors newbie

Range Problems in n

This is weird.... I'm set for an n only, 5ghz, and not getting any signal on my MacBook Pro... in the same room where my Apple TV is getting full bars on the same network.

I do have two wireless networks going.... an AEBS transmitting a b/g signal, that gets full bars around the house. The two are right next to each other, could the AEBS be interfering with the Time Capsule signal?

Just today I rewired my setup... was going through a linksys router into the airports... and in THAT setup, I was getting much better range from the Time Capsule. Weird...

I'm torn between returning the time capsule, or buying an n airport express to extend the network.

Any thoughts / help is appreciated.

24. lole macrumors newbie

TC wireless range

I live in a condo and the wireless range from the TC (using 5GHz) is much more limited than my Telus DSL / wireless router 2.4 GHz.

25. grimslade thread starter macrumors member

I've found the range is fine on 2.4Ghz mode. Just frustrating that I can't use 5GHz in my building, since i thought that was supposed to be a more interference-free band.