TIME CHANGE CAUSES "systemUIserver" BUG

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doug in albq, Nov 1, 2009.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Fall Back to a wild Halloween-night Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 Bug! Max your CPU for a full hour in the middle of the night.

OS X Snow Leopard "Time Change Bug" maxes CPU for 1 hour.

You might have been wondering what was going on in the middle of the night last night if you were using your Mac OS X Snow Leopard-equipped computer when the daylight savings time change hit your local timezone. It was a new OS glitch that affected users of Snow Leopard 10.6.

Most of you were sleeping when this bug hit, most likely your computer running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.x was sleeping also. But if not, you might have received a Halloween-night spook from your computer! Spinning fans, unfamiliar processes gobbling up your computer’s CPU like so much Halloween candy, all in the middle of the night. I have heard one unconfirmed report that this bug woke a sleeping mac, and worked its Halloween fright!

Seems that the “SystemUIserver” process maxed the CPU for a full hour exactly when the time change hit—to the second.* This bug was set off by the daylight savings time change in the United States. I cannot say if any other countries suffered this bug.

There is currently an active discussion at MacRumors.com and one at Apple’s own Support Page addressing this “Time Change Bug” that sets off the systemUIserver process.

Quite a wild system bug for users of the new Mac OS—Snow Leopard.

Apple, you have one year to fix this bug!

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I did not encounter this issue. Nor did the 4 other machines running Snow Leopard here. So I don't think it is as wide spread as people may think.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

He knows about that thread. He was very active in it on the second page, he just wanted to spam his blog posting in a thread of his own.

4. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

So, creating the first thread at Macrumors that, by title, specifically address this brand new DST bug is spam, huh?

I did not even include the link to my blog in the post itself.

Do you not think people should become aware of this?

5. sputacus macrumors regular

I was actually up using my computer when the time change occurred - I didn't encounter any problems or anything unusual whatsoever. Snow Leopard has been running flawlessly on my MBP since I upgraded on the day it was released - if there's a "time change" bug out there, it was triggered by something other than SL.

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I didn't encounter problems, either. Barely even noticed the time change to begin with.

7. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

unless you keep a constant eye on your CPU usage with iStat menus or Activity monitor and or easily notice changes in fanspeed, you might have missed it. Were you using your computer exactly at the 2am time change?

There are large discussions about this issue at Apples Support page and TUAW has commented on it. Wait until Monday, I think this might be big news.

8. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

No, I wasn't. If the fan was spinning faster it wasn't enough for me to hear it, as I was in the same room the entire time.

This really doesn't sound like a big deal.

9. eatbacon macrumors regular

I experienced this bug. I was using my mbp and watching a movie on my mini at the time of the clock change. Both had their fans go bonkers. Checked activity monitor and systemuiserver was using around 95% cpu. Continued for at least 15 minutes, then I rebooted both machines and all seemed ok.

10. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

I completely agree. But,

It did give a bit of a fright,

and it was on Halloween night!

now it's alright.

11. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Hehe ;)

12. sputacus macrumors regular

Most likely it was missed because there was nothing to see (at least on my system) the first place!!! Maybe it just me, but when I'm on my computer, I don't spend 24/7 looking at CPU usage, iStat, Activity Monitor, etc. All I know nothing unusual happened to my computer between 11:00pm - 5:00 am last night. Whatever this "bug" was, it would be big news NOW if it was a major problem with SL!!! :D