Time for a new car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nicoritschel, Jul 17, 2007.

1. nicoritschel macrumors regular

Alright, so my current car, a 99 Mercedes ML320 with 185k miles isn't doing so well lately, so it's getting close to time to replace it. I'm looking to spend about 20k. I've been looking at a 2003 3 series, and a GTI MKV. Any other suggestions for a quick, reliable vehicle? Thanks

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

3. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

GET A LAND ROVER!

---
    But ince you seem to be in the market for a smaller, sportier car...

My neighbor has a BMW 330xi and she loves it. I think they are very stylish on the outisde, but very bland inside. They have very high repair costs, but I am sure you are used to that with Mercedes. We had an X3 and it ended up being a lemon.

Personally I think the GTI MKV is incredibly cheap looking. I would go with the previous generation.

My sisters BF has an 1998 A4 2.8, and I think its a very fun car to drive. I would look into the newer style with the 3.0. I don't know where you live, but most have Quattro which helps in the snow.

Maybe you should take a look at the Infiniti G35. My neighbor has a 2005, and he absolutely loves it. It outpreforms BMW 330's of too. Additionally they have much better reliabilty and I would assume much lower repair costs. They conveniently come in a coupe and AWD sedan, whichever floats your boat.

4. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Why buy something used for that amount?

For around $20,000 you could get you a good Civic.

5. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

<serious> I'll be happy to take your old car off of your hands. :) </serious>

Oh yea and reliable = Honda anything.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

For that much he can get a new Accord!

Edmunds.com Pricing

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i vote for Toyota. and i vote for a scion tC. quick and reliable car for that price

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

9. ambience macrumors member

With a 20k budget, I'd get a new car instead of a used upper-line car. Don't get a Toyota, they are boring (though I'd consider the Scion tC in its segment). I'd go for the Mazdaspeed 3 if you can afford it.

These are my choices over a vast price range as far as used cars go:
    • 2005+ Mustang GT
    • 2003+ Nissan 350Z
    • 2003+ Infiniti G35
    • 2005+ Subaru WRX STi
    • Cobalt SS Supercharged
    • Dodge SRT-4 (low budget)

10. ambience macrumors member

Don't get the 2008 WRX! Its ugly, lacks the aggressive styling of its predecessor, looks more like a Korean car than a Japanese car (yes, Japanese cars are better), and it has framed doors so its not a real Subie.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i forgot about that new Nissan Altima Coupe. (i think that's it). starting around $20,000. either get that or the scion tC

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

[​IMG]
    WTF IS THAT!!!!!! thats disgusting!!!! talk about ugly!!!!

i much prefer the 05-06 models

[​IMG]

13. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Sorry, I just linked to the impreza site. I saw a picture of the (what I thought) was the 2008 STI and thought that there were pictures of it on Subaru's site... alas there were none. If this is how the '08 looks, I think it looks pretty cool. I don't know if I like where the Lancer is heading though...
    [​IMG]

14. ambience macrumors member

The image you posted isn't official. Here is an actual (motortrend) picture of the new 2008 WRX [​IMG]

15. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Maybe I need to rethink my Subaru loyalty :confused:. Is that an STI though?

They are like a roller coaster when it comes to design...

16. applecrag macrumors regular

i believe the honda civic SI was car of the year for 2006-supposedly the best car for your buck. its in your price range and sports a pretty powerful engine and good fuel economy

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-si-coupe/

17. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

18. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well in that case its even MORE uglier!!!!! thats so eewwww.... damn those jap designers

20. applecrag macrumors regular

hey, not japanese cars are poorly designed...i think lexus' look great. have you seen some of their future/concept cars? i hope those turn out to be real...pretty cool looking.

21. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Get a smart car...those little things look so cool, plus you'll have money left over for a new Mac too!

Picture 1.png

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea i spose the lexuxs are good looking. but the wrx.... its a sports car....its not supposed to be all up with the times and all computer looking..i dont like it hmph!

23. iGav macrumors G3

There's no such thing. ;)

24. walangij macrumors 6502

Get the MKV, for the price it cannot be beat. I have one and it is quick, reliable, fun to drive, great interior. Reliability is excellent, it's built in the Wolfsburg plant and their QC is fantastic. User satisfaction is very high. The interior fit and finish is above the civic Si. It is quick, has power from the low-end up unlike the high revving Si. Plus there's a massiveonline community for Vdub users with get-togethers, drives, ect. The look of the MKV also brings about a different reaction than the Si/TC/SRT4/WRX/ect. It has the classic hot-hatch look. Sophisticated some may say (for the class). Also the DSG transmission is amazing, I have a 6spd and my brother has the DSG. The 6spd is classic fun, but the DSG is amazingly quick, just go to a dealer and try them both out, you'll have a blast.

And for the Honda=reliable users, a bunch of friends have new civic and civic si's and they've been having problems, there was a huge recall, so the kinks are still not worked out. But with the MKV, even though it's new in the USA, in Europe it's been out long enough that the few problems there were are all fixed.

I suggest going to test drive the GTI MKV and the Civic Si and seeing the difference in person. Or just the MKV if you are not interested in the Si. I would also suggest purchasing new in that range rather than used, like ambience suggested. The experience of purchasing brand new rather than used is great.

25. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer