Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It has been 3 years since the iMac has had a design overhaul. It's probably about time for that to happen. My guess is that te next upgrade (in the march timeframe) will yield a new form factor.

But what kind if differences do u think there will be?

Thinner probaby... Bigger? More screen less bezel? Its about time for a new look but I can't really think of much to improve upon

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
iMacs got a redesign about a year ago. Yes, it wasn't major but still a redesign, bigger models etc. For example, Apple used PowerBook G4 design until late 2008 when they introduced unibody. That's over 5 years.

There is already enough screen in the iMac. Making it thinner would be a downgrade in terms of cooling and it doesn't really matter how thin it is, more people are wishing it to be thicker so it could house more powerful components.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Since the G4 iMac, the design has roughly (note I say roughly) the same.

I would call it a pizza box on it's side. :)

Personally, I like the design but I know many don't. I expect Apple to keep the pizza box on it's side design for a few more years. Of course with each iteration, they will improve the specs and probably make it thinner with some other cosmetic changes/new features.

I expect that the design will change when touch is built into the iMac. At that point, we may see quite shift in design.

That's my 2 cents. :)

PhelpsiPhan

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
New Jersey
Am i alone is saying that if apple made an iMac Classic in the shape of a G4 i would be first in line? Anyone else agree with me?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
as soon as they go white again i buy a new one otherwise i stick with the older white ones , i am not a funeral director so dont need a black ribbon iMac on my desk i like friendly color's on my desk ,and please stop unibody i do not want a iMac to look like iPad on steroids :(

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
For next iMac model reversion?

I would like to see a 24" 16:9 screen. For some, the 21.5" is too small and the 27" is too big. To me, the nice 24" 16:9 is a perfect size. They had 24" in the past models. All they had to do was re-shape to 16:9 and it would have been great.

I'd also like the see the iMac's chassis have more depth (thickness). Yes. deeper Thus, allowing more air flow where needed, more air pockets. I never understood the concept of making the screen thinner but its desktop stand forcing one to waste needed desk space. To me, add 1" more chassis "depth" and with more inner space would allow more internal air flow (which is better cooling).

I'd also like to see the SD card SLOT moved to the lower front screen. Or, move to the "other side" of its chassis. Thus, reducing the risk of accidentally putting the SD card into the CD/DVD slot.

I'd also like to see an adjustment to control "back light" power on its LED screen. This is different then brightness screeen. To me, LEDs are like watching "super" HD TV screens. Way "too much" color strength. Would be nice to allow the user to "tone down" its LED power - back down to normal HD TV brightness - instead of Super brightness power.

Adding "global level" Large Size fonts / menus within its OS would be better as well. Within many areas, one can change the FONT sizing but it won't change the menu sizing. And, one has to use a 3rd party TinkerTool program to change many Font sizes. But, this tool won't change some application menu sizes. Would be much better if Apple allowed "global level" font & menus sizings - line Win xx systems currently offer today.

Allowing Jumbo Frame size on its built-in Ethernet card would be cool as well. Strange how many previous iMacs allowed Jumbo frames but mid-2010 iMacs don't allow it. To me, future iMacs need this ability. If one needs it, they can configure it.

Allowing USB 3.0 on a few USB ports would be cool as well. Perhaps 2 x USB 2.0 + 2 x USB 3.0 ports will be included within next iMac model?

These are my next iMac model "wish list" items...

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
What are you talking about? Apple finally got their whole lineup to look in the black/silver with the recent Mac Mini. I like the current design too. To be honest, I have no idea what they could possibly change.

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
I think the current line is sleek and looks very appealing. I also like how easy it is to clean the aluminum with alcohol. I had read that on Apple.com and thought it was odd at first, but it worked very well.

I appreciate the white form factor, as I am not a stainless steel fan, which the aluminum is similar to, but I would not vote for the white. It seems like it would show smudges, fingerprints, and potentially fade if near a window.

If anything was going to be changed I would opt away from the shiny silver backs on the ipods. Those scratch so easily!

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
For next iMac model reversion?

I would like to see a 24" 16:9 screen. For some, the 21.5" is too small and the 27" is too big. To me, the nice 24" 16:9 is a perfect size. They had 24" in the past models. All they had to do was re-shape to 16:9 and it would have been great.

I'd also like the see the iMac's chassis have more depth (thickness). Yes. deeper Thus, allowing more air flow where needed, more air pockets. I never understood the concept of making the screen thinner but its desktop stand forcing one to waste needed desk space. To me, add 1" more chassis "depth" and with more inner space would allow more internal air flow (which is better cooling).

I'd also like to see the SD card SLOT moved to the lower front screen. Or, move to the "other side" of its chassis. Thus, reducing the risk of accidentally putting the SD card into the CD/DVD slot.

I'd also like to see an adjustment to control "back light" power on its LED screen. This is different then brightness screeen. To me, LEDs are like watching "super" HD TV screens. Way "too much" color strength. Would be nice to allow the user to "tone down" its LED power - back down to normal HD TV brightness - instead of Super brightness power.

Adding "global level" Large Size fonts / menus within its OS would be better as well. Within many areas, one can change the FONT sizing but it won't change the menu sizing. And, one has to use a 3rd party TinkerTool program to change many Font sizes. But, this tool won't change some application menu sizes. Would be much better if Apple allowed "global level" font & menus sizings - line Win xx systems currently offer today.

Allowing Jumbo Frame size on its built-in Ethernet card would be cool as well. Strange how many previous iMacs allowed Jumbo frames but mid-2010 iMacs don't allow it. To me, future iMacs need this ability. If one needs it, they can configure it.

Allowing USB 3.0 on a few USB ports would be cool as well. Perhaps 2 x USB 2.0 + 2 x USB 3.0 ports will be included within next iMac model?

These are my next iMac model "wish list" items...

The size you are requesting is nearly impossible that it will appear again soon. Since Apple changed its LED Cinema Display from 24" to 27" that meant 24" form factor is out of the market IMO.

I absolutely agree on the thickness of the chassis. I really don´t like why Apple has to make "Exceptionally Beautiful" designs that sometimes compromise performance and reliability. Is not that I don´t like Apple´s designs, actually I really love them, but I think they are not that good when it comes to performing and head dissipation.

Time has come for the USB 3.0 to become the standard. It´s almost a need now.

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
Black iMac...

I forgot to mention...

There are many ways to build an iMac in black and not necessarily from plastic. I´d really like a black metal iMac, say like an iMac Pro or something?!?!?!

It could be a little thicker with much better hardware and very good looking black case.

Who of you would you buy such thing like this?? I personally think would be awesome, but definitely think is not going to happen soon. :(

B.winkle

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Personally, I love the current look and see no need to update for cosmetics. Technology, I don't know......

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the back in aluminium is ok . but i would love to see it anodized in a lighter more bright silver and i just dont like the black front and black screen surround , why cant apple not offer it at least for people who dont like black , offer it in other colors aluminum can be anodized in various colors and getting a colored front is also not that difficult , neither is it more expensive
and i would too like to see the iMac a bit deeper to allow for more air flow , like mentioned above the stand sticks out at the back anyway so nobody would possibly notice if the actual case get 2 inches deeper towards the stand and gets another slot at the top as hot air has the tendency to rise upwards , and a extra slot at the bottom , as the hot air rising would create a vacuum and force cold air from the bottom in , chimney effect thats called and isnt something new for apple as the slot loading iMac G3's had been cooled very effectively that way , and putting the harddrive as far away from the processor as possible,means right at the bottom and the processor and cooler right at the top and not that close together like they are now

and is it to much to ask to bring back the 17inch form factor and getting rid of these ridiculous glossy screens ? i have already a mirror in the bathroom , no need for one on the desk

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I like the current form factor of the iMacs. Personally I would like to see a redesign that allowed easy access to the hard drive. If they could work out something similar to how you add RAM that would be slick.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
I like the current form factor of the iMacs. Personally I would like to see a redesign that allowed easy access to the hard drive. If they could work out something similar to how you add RAM that would be slick.

why is it not possible to redesign the case like on the original iMac G5 ,
3 screws and pop everything is right in front of you to replace , that was a fantastic idea , nothing you can damage by opening it , so replacing a harddrive is a breeze , so is replacing ram and optical drive , no flimpsy connectors and wires which already break if you just look at them and would bring down servicing costs too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.