Time for iPhone updates to go to page 2

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by slughead, Jul 6, 2007.

1. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I know for a fact that I speak for a lot of Mac users when I say: I'm not interested in the iPhone, it was conceptually interesting, but we really don't need every little thing to be posted on the front page.

The time for hype is over, Apple's spin machine has done it's job, we can give it a rest now.

It may be important to investors or whatever, but this is MACrumors, not iPHONErumors. Let someone else force Apple's phone down people's throats, most of us just aren't interested.

It was a fun ride while it lasted, but if this iPhone spam keeps up I'll be getting my Apple news elsewhere.

This isn't a protest, it's just that I'm waiting for iMac and Mac Pro updates and am probably agitated already with this interminable waiting game. Plus I would really be unhappy to have to switch to another site for my Mac news.

Just a suggestion.. probably belongs in another forum.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is there Apple and/or Mac news you are missing due to coverage of iPhone-mania?

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

With all the iPhone material, the Audio Update got dropped pretty quickly. You know how important and consequential those Audio updates are.:rolleyes:

And, arn, while you're moving the iPhone to Page 2, can you move the Mighty Mouse rumors there too? This is MACRumors, not MOUSERumors.

4. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

By the way, I'm not in favor of getting rid of all non-mac news, just keep it short. Hyping every story makes it hard to find real news.

Yes. Where is this story?
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/06/apple_utility_revives_fallen_ipod_shuffles.html

I have an iPod shuffle rendered useless that was fixed by this (thousands of people do), why did I have to go somewhere else when we're going so in depth on iPhone (which FAR fewer people here actually own)?

Also, that Audio update, which was buried, was a serious issue that could seriously affect those peoples' livelihood who work in the creative industry.

Let's look at the stories just expanded currently, in reverse order:
    - a rumor about whether or not the SafariPhone will support flash
    - a non-news story about Apple's web standards for SafariPhone
    - a status report on the progress to hack into the iphone and do custom ringtones
    - Possible apple partnerships with oversees networks
    - a report on why vodaphone isn't available for iphone
    - more sales estimates, sale of iphone.com
    - hacking iphone to use it without a service plan
    - battery replacement cost
    - more sales estimates
    - activations are slow with iphone
    - M$ exchange support for iphone
    - sales estimates
    - iphone service area possibly expanding
    - iphone is available at store.apple.com (duh.)
    - iphone internal photos
    - non-news with iPhone's user guide.

Most (note: not all) of these stories are non-news and don't need to be on the front page.

I'm just saying: it's over now; it's out, stop spamming.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's a time limited thing. The iPhone just came out. There's going to be more iPhone news than anything. In the past, people have complained about too much iPod news, and too much Apple TV news when those items came out.

Just ask Leoff if there are still too many Apple TV posts now:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3470606&postcount=4

arn

6. korndog2003 macrumors regular

korndog2003

I agree, but I would have a different view if I had an iPhone :)

7. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

But aren't the iPhone forums 3 levels in? I thought this was just an iPhone section.

I admit that I wasn't a member until the iPhone hype, but now that I have it (yippie), I am also anxious to replace my MBP 15" Core Duo. Are the iPhone topics bleeding into other areas or something?

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

To address possible confusion. This thread was originally in the iPhone forum, but moved to Site Feedback.

arn

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The site name is MacRumors, but the purpose of the site is to cover all Apple products and services.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Just wait till Apple releases iChat,Movies and some other good updates to the iPhone.

Watch what happens then ;)

I see nothing wrong with having the biggest gadget to come out for a long time being front page news. Remember there are more lurkers than members viewing MacRumors.

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I can see threads complaining about the mass of iPhone threads reaching a mass at which they themselves become annoying.

iRonic.

13. yagran macrumors 6502a

im sure that it will die down in time but

is this an excuse, i dont understand? If people have complained in the past surely this is a reason to NOT do it again now, not use previous complaints as an excuse.

If users complain shouldnt that mean that it gets changed? im not saying if one person says i want everything to be pink, then make everything pink, but please try to act on te feedback posted here as im sure thats what your intentions were when you made it.

As a suggestion on this topic, i recommend iPhone posts get posted to the iPhone blog only, not on the home page aswell, that way iPhone fans can go there and read it, but do we really need it all over the home page too?
    You dont have page 2 articles posted on the home page do you?
    A simple feed on the left hand side and the full articles in their own blog would surely be enough.

i cant wait for the uk iphone, but i wish other stories would e picked up in more detail and not get buried.

much love, Yagran - p.s. sorry for the bad grammar/structure etc. its late and im tired :)

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It already is...check out the front page:

• iPhone nano (surely this is a big enough news story)
    • New keyboard with new iMacs
    • OS X iPods
    • Software bundle
    • Multi-touch patent (broad spectrum of applicability beyond iPhone)
    • Aluminum iMacs
    • iPhone & Vodafone
    • Universal & iTunes
    • Flash on iPhone
    • Multi-touch mouse

This looks like a very healthy balance. Lots of of other stuff is going directly to the iPhone sub-site with only the small column of links on the left side of the main page, just like Page 2.

We were just in a phase where there was a ton of iPhone news and not much on anything else. Now that the iPhone rush has passed, the attention of rumor sites and others turns towards Apple's other offerings. We can only cover information that's out there, unless you'd like us to make stuff up. ;)

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

People complain when the frequency of front page stories drops too, so someone will be unhappy no matter what is done.

16. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sorry...I don't want to appear to be beating a dead horse, but I realized that I neglected to respond to the second half of your post.

The thing is that while there are a good number of people who aren't interested in the iPhone, there are an awful lot of people who are...just look at the posting activity in the iPhone forums to see it.

Not every news story will appeal to everyone, and with the iPhone being the item of the moment with a lot of interest in it, that's where most of the news (and thus our coverage) gets directed.

I'm not saying you're the one guy asking for everything to be pink, but it's clear there are plenty of people interested in the iPhone stories. They're just not posting in this thread because they're too busy playing with and posting about their iPhones. :cool:

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

^^ Despite all the newbies, redundancy, rants and just plain idiocy, I like the iPhone stuff.

Posted from my iPhone. :D

18. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

Don't think I haven't noticed!

Thank you for taking my suggestion seriously.