Time machine assistance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by finder39, Jul 13, 2009.

1. finder39 macrumors member

ok, so i am currently updating all 19, 547 of my iTunes songs with lyrics one at a time slowly using a widget called Harmonic. The issue is, because the lyrics are saved in the songs themselves, time machine is updating each song as a new file. this will take up an extra 110GB on my time machine drive. is there a way to avoid this where it will just overwrite the old ones?

thanks

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No, but you can manually remove the old versions while in Time Machine.

3. finder39 thread starter macrumors member

that would be way to much effort to do that everytime i play another song and lyrics are grabbed. is there a program to set up a specific folder, like my itunes folder, that only in that folder things are overwritten

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's what Time Machine is doing already. Since your music files have been changed, TM backs them up.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I had it in mind to wait until you were done with your project, then go and delete the old versions en masse. In the mean time, let Time Machine do its thing, and not worry about it.

There's no app or option to do what you suggest - it's just not the way Time Machine functions. I know what you're talking about, though - it does seem like it's wasting space. It's just not smart enough to know you don't care about the previous version. ;)

6. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I don't think there's an application like that.

But gr8tfly's idea should work: start TM, search the iTunes music folder, erase it and start another TM backup.

Of course, you don't have to do that after each song, but only if your TM space is running low.

Edit: Obviously I'm slow.

7. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Or you could disable Time Machine until you finish updating your files. Re-enable when you are finished, or at the end of each session.

8. finder39 thread starter macrumors member

I know his is a lot to ask, but is here anyway that someone could write an AppleScript or something that would would delete the old file when a new one is created for time machine in the iTunes folder only? I have never written in AppleScript so would not know how. But have enough experience in programming to edit pathnames if need be to make it work on my comp and tome capsule. I know it is a lot to ask but it would be amazing if someone could do that :)

9. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Sorry if I ask, but what's wrong with the solutions provided above? :)