Time Machine bizzarly mangles file, how do I recover?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by duggram, Sep 14, 2009.

1. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Switched from Vista to Mac April last year. On Visata, in Excel I kept a spreadsheet with all my monthly payment records. Moved the file to my Mac and kept working with it in Pages. Kept it backed up to my Time Machine. Last month I started using MS Office for Mac. Started working with the same file in Mac Excel. Updated all my payment information ~10 days ago. Did a Time Machine backup just before I did an erase and install for SL.

Tonight I couldn't find my file on my hard drive, which is weird because I just worked with it about a week ago. Tried to restore from Time Machine. All copies of that file have been erased from Time Machine. In it's place is a file with a similar name but no file extension. This file is in everyone of my backups. Neither pages nor Excel can open it. TextEdit can't open it because it's a "workbook volume." I can do a QuickLook which reveals information from a single payment back in this April. This file used to have information from payments for about the last 5 years.

I've still got the file on Visata and will start over with it. But what the hell happened to my file and all my backups?

Any insight appreciated.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Are you using the Time Machine application to restore the file or directly in the backup folder on your TM drive?

edit: nevermind mis-read. Thought you were trying to manually retrieve the file from Vista.

3. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

I'm asking TM to restore it. I just tried the file in the backup directory and it looks like the restored version.