Time Machine doesn't have enough room to backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chocolate632, May 21, 2011.

1. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone

So here's the situation. I tried to backup my iMac the other day and I got a message saying that I don't have enough room to backup. These are the drives:

External Drive: 500GB Lacie (31GB free of 499)
    Internal Drive: 500GB Western Digital (433GB used, 65GB free, 499 available)

Shouldn't time machine just delete an older backup? I just checked now all my backups are gone except one from April. Do you think I should just reformat the external and backup again? 460GB is gonna take a while to backup over USB.

Thanks in advance

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Actually, I would recommend to get a new 1 TB backup drive. Time Machine will only backup if your old backup plus the changes to the new backup will fit - it won't delete the old backup, in case something goes wrong while backing up and then you would be without backup. So having a Time Machine backup drive that is only a little larger than the drive you are backing up is not a good idea.

3. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was gonna buy a new 2TB internal and external, but I can't afford it right now... If I reformat the drive, should it work again temporarily? I would backup 430GB, then add a few files and backup again, ensuring I have more than one backup.