Time Machine help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DetroitRockCity, Sep 27, 2009.

1. DetroitRockCity macrumors member

Hello. I am trying to figure out how to work time machine to do this:

640GB main drive (not backed up)
    1TB internal to a FW800 1TB external
    320GB internal to a USB 320GB external

However, I am confused on how to do this.
    Is there a way to pick a drive on then specify where you want it to back up to?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You should have about 2x your source drive for storage. If you have a 320GB internal, then you should have around 600GB for Time Machine. If you keep your drive half full, then you can get away with less. The excess space determines how far back in time you can go.

By default, Time Machine will include your boot drive and exclude external drives. You can add other items to exclude (like virtual machine drives, or other large files which change regularly and have a different backup routine).

Hope this helps. I wasn't sure exactly what the question was, so I answered in pretty general terms.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can't have several Time Machine Drives. So I don't think you can do this with Time Machine. I am only telling you from what I know though, and I haven't searched out any other solutions.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

No, you can't "flip" from one drive to another using Time Machine - if that's what you meant (multiple active backup targets from one source). You can, however, browse to restore a file from any Time Machine backup (say if you started one on one drive, then later started again on another drive; or if you have multiple machines).