Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flow16z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Hi, I bought a Buffalo EZ LS-CL external network attached hard drive about 8 months ago before I purchased my Mac. I'm having trouble setting up this hard drive for Time Machine. Finder recognizes the hard drive as "shared server" despite it being connected to the Mac or Router. I can't even get it up to pop up in Disk Utility. The hard drive is connected to the Mac via an ethernet cable right now because that's what the instructions said to do and not use a male-to-male USB cord.

Sincerly,
Flow16z

EDIT: My Macbook Pro is the 2010 (current) version running Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Flow16z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
If it helps my Web Admin for the NAS hard drive does have a reformat option but the box is unchangeable from XFS format.

Flow16z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Ok so the only thing that doesn't recognize is it is Disk Utility but even Time Machine recognizes it.

I tried backing up but it gave me this code:

The backup disk image "/Volumes/Share-1/XXXMBP.sparsebundle" could not be created (error 45).

wlh99

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
Try here https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-390245.html

(summary, on a quick read - TM doesn't support NAS disks)

To be a bit more clear: Your external hard drive is actaully a type of network file server, that's why it is connected via ethernet. You need a drive that connects via USB or Firewire.

The advantage to your type of drive is that any computer on your home LAN can use it at the same time-if that is what you want to do.

Flow16z

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Buffalo Customer Service / Technical Support is one of the worst I have ever seen in all of my purchases... Just as a suggestion to anyone looking for an external hard drive: Stay AWAY from Buffalo Tech. because their technical support have no clue what how to fix a problem. They will try and say that your product doesn't support a feature despite the box and the Web Admin allowing you to set it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.