Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Did anyone else bothered to backup recently after mac was updated to 10.7.5?

It took 3 hrs to backup 3.2 GB worse of changes made by update. I am using FW800/FW400 both are dreadfully slow.

Another forum folks mentioned, network backups are extremely slow as well.

Drives and FW is not a problem. I could copy files at max throughput.

Time Machine idles 99% of the time, only occasionally dumps ~20MB worse of data and idles again.

Last edited:

tmgordon

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Similar problem on 3 machines

Macbook Pro 2009
Macbook Air 2011
iMac 2010
Time machine takes excessive times (15-30 minutes) after "upgrade". With the Lion upgrade this similar behaviour disappeared after a few days. Possibly needs to settle down to the weekly backups.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Macbook Pro 2009
Macbook Air 2011
iMac 2010
Time machine takes excessive times (15-30 minutes) after "upgrade". With the Lion upgrade this similar behaviour disappeared after a few days. Possibly needs to settle down to the weekly backups.

For me it was slow on macbook pro (late 2006) after upgrade, just refreshing backup. On iMac - initial backup took ~24 hours (150GB).

The only thing I did recently is upgraded my machines to SSD, but time machine on 10.7.4 - was working fine with SSD.

I have Trim enabled on my SSD, so IOAHCIFamily.kext was modified in 10.7.4 and 10.7.5.

Wondering if only folks with SSD are affected or it is across the board?

ozarkcanoer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Time Machine very slow

Having same problem after update to 10.7.5 using Combo updater. Firewire800 drive having problem and same issue when using a Thunderbolt connected external drive. Initial backup of 4.6Gb after update did not complete overnight.

Reported problem to Apple Support and they are looking at data dump I sent to them.

Time Machine on my iMac 2011 model is unusable at this point.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
It's a known spotlight issue. https://discussions.apple.com/message/19667005#19667005

http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/10/disable-or-enable-spotlight-in-mac-os-x-lion/

If you disable Spotlight using the following command from within Terminal, Time Machine backups return to normal speed;

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Once this has been resolved, you'll be able to re-enable Spotlight with the following command;

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

peoplevoice

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Time Machine broken

I had same issue and after following dmax35 instructions I was able to finish my backup in a very short time. Before I had to cancel many times because it was saying required 6 or more days.

Goettel

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
Same problem here, it is quite annoying as I rely on both Time Machine and Spotlight for the day to day use of my mac. Had 3,52GB to backup and has now been stalled at 2GB for over 15 minutes... This is my second backup after the 10.7.5 update and both have needed to be let run overnight to finish!

Time to head here people: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

driveparty

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
Russia / USA
Got slowed down both TM and SL, reverted back to 10.7.4

Got the same problems with Time Machine and Spotlight indexing significant slowdown. Spotlight estimated to reindex my 180 Gb in couple of weeks or even months(!) sometimes! :) and the Time Machine backups became very slow also, took 2-3 hours to backup some 100-200 Mb...
Reverted it back to 10.7.4 by reinstalling it over from self made USB stick till apple would resolve this shame errors :(

(no luck with turning off/on spotlight, nor repairing permissions and ACLs, nor other routine repair tasks)

mtil

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Thanks damx35!

Post Lion 10.7.5 update: After 3-4 calls to Apple Care and about 4 hours of troubleshooting with this issue (one time Time Machine said my backup would be done in 43,000 days) I came across dmax35's post and it worked perfectly:). Why doesn't Apple Tech support tell us about this instant easy solution? Why does Apple tech support seem to be in the dark so often?:(

MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G56)

It's a known spotlight issue. https://discussions.apple.com/message/19667005#19667005

http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/10/disable-or-enable-spotlight-in-mac-os-x-lion/

If you disable Spotlight using the following command from within Terminal, Time Machine backups return to normal speed;

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Once this has been resolved, you'll be able to re-enable Spotlight with the following command;

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Diogones

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Two big thumbs up, Dmax35! :) Your solution involving disabling Spotlight was - dare I say it - spot on! It worked without a hitch for me.

To clarify a bit: I'm running a 2006 iMac, and I had just updated to 7.5 on the 20th of this month. I decided to do a backup after the update with Time Machine - BIG mistake! Just like everyone else in this thread, Time Machine was ridiculously slow. I deleted the TM plist in my /Library/Preferences, I zapped my PRAM, tried different backup hard disks and buses, such as USB and FW, and deleted the inProgress and Latest folders on my backup drive, checked the backup drive and my system drive for errors and repaired permissions, but nothing worked.

Then I found this post, entered Dmax35's command into Terminal, and the backup completed in about 10 minutes. Amazing! I hope Apple fixes this soon, because I want Spotlight back on!

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Same problem but DMAX's fix didn't fix it. Took about 3.5 hours to back up 7 GB of changes. I filed some feedback on Apples' Time Machine software and got the following report - which is hilarious. I double checked that I hadn't entered "Time Capsule" anywhere BTW.

Where do I report bugs in the bug report?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 1.04.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-01 at 1.04.26 PM.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 402

armoorefam

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Thunderbolt after upgrade the root cause perhaps?

I am curious if all of your backup drives are connected via a Thunderbolt connection. After the upgrade I had trouble with a monitor on a thunderbolt connection. Maybe the problem is with the Thunderbolt after upgrade more than with Time Machine?

Diogones

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Problem solved!

Hey everybody!

Apple just released a fix for this problem! You can download it either through Software Update or directly from their website at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1599.

Quoting the patch notes, "Resolves an issue that may cause Time Machine backups to take a very long time to complete."

Additionally, for users who downgraded to 10.7.4, or simply didn't update to 7.5 in the first place, the new 7.5 update and Combo update will include this fix, so it won't be necessary as a separate download for those users.

I'm not sure if the update will automatically turn Spotlight back on if you turned it off manually in order to run an update under the broken 7.5 patch, as I turned mine back on via the Terminal before I ran the new update. I can confirm that the patch works, and Spotlight and Time Machine are back to normal! Hooray! :)

Diogones

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Why do you need Spotlight on a TM-drive?

Btw, i said on the 20. Sep 2012:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15787027#post15787027

I have added my backup volume to the Privacy Tab under Spotlight preferences, Mr. Retrofire. But the problem with the 7.5 patch was that it would prevent Time Machine from backing up normally due to a Spotlight error, whether or not the backup volume was being actively indexed by Spotlight or not.

Essentially, the patch broke Spotlight itself, thus affecting the speed of the TM backups. It had nothing to do with a corrupt Spotlight index, because there are multiple reports from users who rebuilt their Spotlight index, and it did not solve the TM latency issue.

When I turned off Spotlight in the Terminal, it turned it off for my entire OS, not just for my external, hence my comment about wanting it back on; otherwise I couldn't search my boot volume with Spotlight.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I did a search before making a similar thread, so glad I did. I've quit backing up because it usually takes all day(literally!) Hope there's a fix soon!!!:(

helveta

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
My time machine incremental back ups weren't completing and my 1G firewire drive was almost full so when I saw a repaired LaCie 2big 4g TB for one half price I bought it. I hooked it up yesterday and started a new backup and it slowed until it seemed to stop at about 25G out of 109G. I found this article, http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_...achine-running-slow-after-os-x-10.7.5-update/ which said the same thing as dmax35. When I unloaded spotlight the back up went smoothly.

I deleted spotlight's index and reloaded spotlight, but it looked like the index would not be rebuilt in my lifetime. I unloaded spotlight again and then found this thread. After installing the update previously mentioned it took about 10 minutes to rebuild the spotlight index.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.