Time Machine keeps backing up iTunes media folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmmo20, May 6, 2011.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Hello,
    For whatever reason, after any change in the itunes media folder, such as downloading a new mp3 or updating an iOS app, Time Machine insists on backing up the entire 30gb+ of the media folder.

Any ideas why this is happening?
    thanks.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

It may appear to be updating the whole folder, but in fact it is only backing up and alterations since the last back up.

3. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

No it's not. It's uploading 25gb .. the whole folder.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

How do you know that? Where is your iTunes media folder stored, and where is it backed up to? How long does the backup take? What you describe shouldn't happen, and doesn't happen to anyone I know, but your description doesn't give much information.

5. jmmo20 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know because

1) Pref panel says it's backing up 25gb
    2) Console log says 27gb requested, 25gb backed up
    3) Takes several hours
    4) Apps that let you check contents of each individual backup, such as Time Tracker or timedog, show the size of each incremental backup and you can actually go and browse which files or folders were backed up.

The media folder is stored at ~/Music/Media, while the itunes library itself is at ~/Music/Library. The Time machine backup destination is a shared mount from a mac mini server.

I know what I describe shouldn't happen, that's why I asked ;)

6. topcho macrumors newbie

I have the exactly same problem. TM started backing up the whole iTunes folder constantly. All my old backups are gone as the disk is full of iTunes backups. Has anybody figured this out?