Time Machine--Program backups??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thebrain74, Oct 12, 2009.

1. thebrain74 macrumors regular

I have a question about how time machine deals with programs.

I am rethinking my backup solution because my 17MBP has had its HDD replaced three times. I have been running winclone for my windows partition and it is simply amazing.

I was wondering if I back up from time machine, do all of my programs fall back into place perfectly with serial codes, etc. maintained?

I ask because I am in the process of choosing the automated TM backups, or just doing CC clones myself because of how simple it is to restore a backup from a clone

Thanks for the help.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you need to restore your complete volume from Time Machine, all your serial numbers should be there. Also, Time Machine is much more friendly for retrieving individual deleted or changed files than trying to get them from a complete image backup.

If you have space, you can always keep a bootable image backup too (using Disk Utility Restore or CCC).

I keep both, myself. I do a periodic (sometimes only when OS-X updates) bootable image backup using Disk Utility's Restore feature (Due to a bad experience with an old CCC bug, I don't use it. I have had zero problems using Disk Utility.)