Time Machine quesiton

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ashman70, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I just did a fresh install of Mavericks and selected the external hard drive I had been using for time machine backups under ML as the drive for backups under Mavericks and away it went. Today I want to restore some files from before I installed Mavericks, but only the days since I installed Mavericks are available. How do I make it so I can go all the way back to the oldest backups on my time machine drive under Mavericks?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you created a new backup with the Mavericks install instead of continuing with the old one. Do an option key click on the Time Machine icon in the menu bar then select browse other backup disks and I bet you will see your old backup and can access it from there.

3. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Go to the hard drive the TM backup is on. Click backups.backupdb, click on the computer name (it may be different with Mavericks if you did a clean install - may be two folders?), then browse the folders - there should be a list of folders with time/date stamps. Do you see the time/date-stamped folders from before you installed Mavericks?

Also, related question: when you try going into the Time Machine UI from any folder other than your home folder, does the folder change abruptly to the home folder? See my thread for what I'm talking about.

4. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried that, doesnt work.

----------

Computer name is the same, so still only one folder. I will have a look at that thread.