Time machine question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bmoney017, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Bmoney017 macrumors member

Got a question regarding Time machine and an external hard drive. I just got a 500GB external hard drive, and I was going to create 2 partitions, one for Time machine and the other just as a general drive. If i do this before I install Leopard, will I need to make another partition for Time machine? Basically I cant find out what format a time machine partition needs to be. Can TM use a partition that is any format, or does it need to be a specific one?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Time Machine requires HFS+ (Mac OS Extended (journaled))

3. Bmoney017 thread starter macrumors member

Great thanks. So I can make two partitions now and be ok?

Also whats the difference between Journaled and non-Journaled? Any recommendation of what format the non-TM partition should be?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The other partitions can be whatever you need.

Journaling keeps track of disk activity, so it can recover if interrupted in the middle of an operation. There's small performance hit, but only a very few specific uses would see it.

5. Bmoney017 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for the help.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad to help. Which brand 500GB did you get, out of curiosity?

7. Bmoney017 thread starter macrumors member

Just got the iomega one advertised on apple's site. I bought a 250GB drive a few years back for my old windows computer, but was having some trouble getting it to show up on the MBP. Finally got that figured out.

How much should I make the TM partition? I was thinking 120 or so, since my MBP hd is only 120. Is that good, or too much/little?

8. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

I'm backing up to ext3 (which is journaled) over SMB. Working great so far!

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It needs to be as big as your current used space, plus enough for any future changes. The larger it is, the further back in time it can restore from. If you're using the 250 for TM, I'd say just use the whole drive and not worry about it.

There are some folders you can exclude, for instance Parallels virtual harddrive, Roxio temp folder, that sort of thing.