Time Machine question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MontyC, May 7, 2010.

1. MontyC macrumors member

MontyC

I have Time Machine backups going back a while. I recently got a new MacBook Pro and did a clean install of apps (not from Time Machine). Now, I can access the old backups (only in Finder... I can drill into old backups and move files etc but I can not access them using Time Machine- they do not show in the history).

When I try to set up the same external drive to back up, it tries to set up a new machine in the remaining space left on the disk. I know I can wipe out the old backups and start again but I would rather keep the old backups and set up my new machine to be on the same disk as continuation of the old Mac not as a new Mac.

Is there a way to do this?

2. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

yes. when you go to back up on your new machine, it will say that it is a new disc and prompt you to just "reuse" the other.
    it will say that by doing that, the original machine (old machine that you originally made the backups with) will no longer be able to backup to that backup history.

setup time machine with the same time capsule and it will automatically do that when you open up time machine.

3. MontyC thread starter macrumors member

MontyC

Not working

OK, thanks for your reply but I still have the problem. Here is what I am doing.

1. I connect ext HD, click on Time Machine, I get
    http://picasaweb.google.com/100762141751991545457/TimeMachine#5468853517262506306

2. I select 'Use Previous Disk' and then I am able to enter Time Machine backups... and to restore files from previous backups

3. Now if I try to 'Backup Now', it says: Time Machine Not Configured.

So it seems it allowed me to access the backup directory on my ext disk for the purpose of restoring from it but it has not associated that directory for future backups

4. If I select that same ext HD in 'Select Backup Disk', it only shows the remaining free space on that disk... and when I select it, 'Enter Time Machine', none of the old backups are available in Time Machine. It is setting it up as a new backup directory on the same ext HD.

What I would like to do is set future backups to continue from my previous backups.

I hope I managed to explain this... help appreciated.