time machine, quick question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EEcuber17, Oct 26, 2007.

1. EEcuber17 macrumors member

ok I have an external hard drive, but I have alot of old files, music and videos stored on it that's not on my computer currently. If I want to set it up for time machine will it leave those old files there and just use the room to back up my current computer's harddrive, orr...?

thanks!

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

from what i understand you can leave the files there , but TM only backs up whats on you mac's local hdd

3. EEcuber17 thread starter macrumors member

so when i click 'set up for time machine', my files should stay intact on the external and it will make space to backup my current computer?

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

That's correct. Time Machine puts all the backup files in a folder named "Backups.backupdb" and the rest of the files on that hard drive are not affected.

5. EEcuber17 thread starter macrumors member

so i go to set up time machine and in parens next to my external it says 'reformat required'.

boo

6. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Is your external drive formatted fat32 or something (for windows cross-compatibility)?

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

HFS+ is required. If it's FAT32, it won't work.

8. EEcuber17 thread starter macrumors member

yeah - i just check the info, it's FAT32...

hm. how should I do this..

9. greatestash macrumors member

greatestash

Old Hard drive

Hi guys,

i have been following the forum from last couple of months and it has been a great help for me. I am going to switch over to mac in few days as leopard is going to release today and have a question about the time machine.

I am pc user right now and i use external hard drive to back up my stuff; my question is: the hard drive i use is PC formatted and i think its FAT32 format. Will i be able to use that hard drive for time machine without formatting it as i dont want to loose my stuff on it.

I asked apple tech support and they dont have any answer right now; so i think this forum has tremendous knowledgeable people and will definetly have answer to my question.

Thanks in advance.

Update: got the answer in previous post.

Anyways thanks.

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

11. greatestash macrumors member

greatestash

Ok.. so HFS+ is required. If i format it to HFS+ format, will i be able to use it for my PC backup as well or not? i got 300GB external hard drive for my pc backups and i dont want to buy another one.

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You'd have to partition the drive and have 1 partition HFS+ and the other Fat32 (I think this is possible).

Otherwise you'd need to install software on your PC to be able to read/write to the HFS+ drive.

-Kevin

13. greatestash macrumors member

greatestash

Will i be able to partition the drive itself in time machine or i have do something else?
    Also if anybody know which software can i install on PC so that it can read/write HFS+ drive?

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Here :)

15. Zawamura macrumors regular

use the Disk Utility that is in your application folder to reformat and partition harddrives.

16. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

There is also HFSExplorer if you want to have read-only access to HFS+ drives from Windows.

hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html