Time Machine Restore from Recovery using new Apple ID

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aneef, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

Hi all,

I was facing the problem mentioned in this thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/help-please-apple-id-problem-on-macbook-pro-and-iphone.2017952/

and I have decided to wipe off my entire Macbook disk and do a Time Machine Restore. Now the thing I want to do is to use a brand new Apple ID for future use. I will not be using the old ID and I wanted to ask that if I do a complete Time Machine Restore after wiping the disk:

1. The laptop came originally with Mac OS X Yosemite. Will it now download Yosemite or Sierra?
    2. Will it require my old Apple ID or will any Apple ID will work? I'm asking this as the old Mac OS Sierra purchase was made from my Old Apple ID. So how would the new Apple ID work under this scenario?
    3. Will it, at any point, demand for the old Apple ID? I'm asking this as my old Apple ID has been locked out and I can't access it.

Please help me by giving answers to these questions.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. If you do a Time Machine restore (not migration which is different) you will get whatever OS version was used to make the Time Machine backup.

2. The restore will not require any AppleID at all.

3. Yes, once you try to use or update any apps the are from the App Store, you will need the AppleID that was used to acquire those apps. If you do not have it, you will need to repurchase all those apps under the new AppleID.

3. Aneef thread starter macrumors regular

Aneef

Thank you for your reply. I have Find my Mac turned on, which I can't turn off as I can't access my old Apple ID. If I restore my mac using recovery, will Macbook demand an Activation Lock key from me?

I'm asking this as I did iTunes Restore on my iPhone 7+ from recovery, and now my iPhone is under Activation Lock. As I couldn't turn off Find my iPhone as I couldn't access my old Apple ID.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No... but you will have to authenticate the iCloud account with the password. So if you don't have that, just go into iCloud settings and turn it off then reenable with the new AppleID.

5. Aneef thread starter macrumors regular

Aneef

I can't turn it off. That's the problem. My old Apple ID is locked and I can't access the old email address as it was of my previous employer and that account doesn't exist now..

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What I am suggesting is just logout of the iCloud account from this pane in System Prefs.

Screen_Shot_2016-11-27_at_9_09_07_AM.png