Time Machine Restore to new HD, No System DVD -- Possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Skaught, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Skaught macrumors member

I bought a new HD to upgrade my iMac. I have everything backed up on a USB drive via Time Machine. This should be simple, but now I can't find my Snow Leopard system DVD. I've looked everywhere but no luck. My current HD is starting to give me "no more space" errors, so I'm having to delete some stuff.

Is there anything I can do? Every site I've looked at says to use the system DVD to start up the computer and then restore from Time Machine. Is there some kind of DVD I can create myself? I do have an old OSX DVD from my G5, version 10.7.2. That won't work with Time Machine "automatically", so I don't think it would be helpful. Or maybe it would work, I don't know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Scott

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

10.7.2????? There is no such version. The current OSx is 10.6.5, and OSx Lion will be revision 10.7. So it would seem you have gone to the future and gotten a DVD for Lion that will work on a G5 cpu????? oh my...

You still need a current osx dvd.

3. Skaught thread starter macrumors member

Forgive my typo -- 10.2.7.

Anyway, like I said, that's all I have and I didn't think it would work with Time Machine.

I found the disks fo iLife '11, '09, and '08...but no Snow Leopard. And my HD is FULL. I went to bed last night with 5 GBs left. This morning there was only 700 MBs left. What happened while I slept? :eek: No emails downloaded. Wierd.

Back OT, I assume I'm screwed without the system DVD?

Scott

4. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Jaguar had no Time Machine.

You need to be booted from some volume running Mac OS 10.5+ (other than the target, in this case the HD).

Is there room on the USB to clone your system onto it? [not that i'm positive it would work]

5. Skaught thread starter macrumors member

Can I make a startup disk somehow?

Scott

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

You can buy the $29 SL DVD online or at a retail outlet. Probably the fastest.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Call Apple, they will give you a replacement DVD for a small amount of cash. For everyone else who starts using Time Machine and can't look after their stuff: Create an 8 GB partition on your backup drive, copy the installer DVD onto that partition using Disk Utility.