Time Machine Space and Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ChrisN, Aug 26, 2009.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Hi, well my last couple of Time Machine back ups have been huge like 60GBs and my initial was approx. 100gbs, I thought time machine made smaller backups after the initial one not huge ones. Can someone help me with this or just point me in the right direction.

Also, it seems like something is eating up my hdd space; last week I had 100gbs free and now I have only 50 and no major changes have been made to my mac so I am quite confused.
    Also, in my Music Folder I see a list of all of my artists and a folder called iTunes with all my apps but it also has a folder in that called iTunes Music which is 32 gb. That folder has a list of all my artists but I don't see a couple in the other folder that are in my iTunes Music folder.

I used Disk Inventory X which gave me 10gbs.

Thanks,
    ChrisN

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It almost sounds like you accidentally copied your Applications folder into your iTunes folder. If so, Time Machine would back them up and could explain the large backup you experienced.

3. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Ok I think I know what is going on, my whole entire iTunes is duplicated so instead of 32GB I have 64 but I don't know which one to delete...

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Select the track, then File > Get Info (cmd-I). The "Summary" tab will show you the path to the file. Or, you can right-click on the track and select "Show in Finder".

5. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

O yea I got that but it looks like they have different artists in them, I think one is a complete version and the other is an older and incomplete version so I gotta figure that out soon.

6. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Can anyone help me with my abnormally large time machine backups, right now I'm backing it up and it is 49gbs and this is the 4th backup I've done!