Time Machine verification, create new backup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benhollberg, Sep 6, 2011.

1. benhollberg, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

[​IMG]
    This notice just came up on my Mac, I guess while Time Machine was backing-up. Just a few quick question about it since I have never seen this before and don't know what it is. What does this mean and why it is the first time appearing? Also, do I actually need to start my whole backup again from scratch?

Any replies would help out, thanks.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Use the backup later button. Mount the Time Machine disk and then open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and run both repairs on the Time Machine disk so see if that helps it.

Good Luck.

3. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Will doing this erase the hard drive that I backup with? It has multiple Time Machine backups from different computers. Thanks for the reply.

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

No it won't. It will only look for problems on the disk and try to repair them. You might also try repairing permissions.

I don't think this will fix it though. Let us know.

5. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Alright just went to do this but looks like I need to connect with a wired connection. My setup is with a Seagate 2TB drive connected USB to Time Capsule. It couldn't find the drive in Disk Utility over the network I guess, I'll try it wired later tonight with more time.

6. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Oh, just noticed you were just wondering what it does. I don't know. I've seen it before on my Time Machine. Yeah, just let it run overnight and you should be good.

7. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

What did you do when you saw it before? The repair thing with Disk Utility?

8. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I just started the new backup. Never saw it again for that computer.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I would suggest connecting the drive directly to you Mac, then use Disk Utility to verify/repair the disk and backups. You need to do two things - verify the partition and verify the sparsebundle containing the Time Machine backup for your machine.

First off, use Disk Utility to verify and/or repair any partitions on the drive.

Next, Disk Utility can perform its First Aid repair on a mounted sparsebundle. Either double-click on the sparsebundle in the Finder, or drag it to the device list in Disk Utility, select it, then mount. Then you can select the mounted drive containing your backup, and run First Aid verify or repair.

The reason I suggest connecting the drive directly to the Mac is to both greatly speed up the process of checking the sparsebundle, and to allow testing the partition itself.

Hope this helps - I've never seen that paticual Time Machine message before. It might be some error related to network backups (and their use of sparsebundles). Most of the time, my backups are to a hardwired drive, which doesn't use sparsebundles.

10. hofmannr macrumors newbie

disk utility doesn't work with with this problem.

When I use my disk utility 11.5.2 it immediately on this problem it immediately hangs. I've checked it out and it seems to be a problem for a lot of people. Is it possible to use some disk utility other than the apple version 11.5.2 (the problem persists with more recent versions of disk utility).

11. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I am going to try the Disk Utility thing pretty soon. Just about how long does that take? Also I'll probably just start a whole new Time Machine backup in hopes that I don't see this again.

12. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It shouldn't take more than two minutes. I fail to see what the problem is here, it is a normal thing isn't it?

13. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have never seen it before.

Anyway, I took someone's advice here to just start a new backup so I did. It took about twelve hours but just getting home now and it is finished. It looks like it just used the old backup because it didn't create a new one.