Time Machine - what happens if your main HD dies? (not the backup drive)

RoboCop001

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
So I was just wondering.... say one day, I'm at my MacBook Pro... when suddenly! Oh no! The hard drive dies! After I bury it in my backyard and get a new one, how do I restore my files using the Time Machine backup HD?

Is that even possible? I hope Time Machine can do that.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Boot up on the Leopard install DVD. There is a Time Machine Restore utility which will do a full restore.

Comment

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Yup, when you put in a Leopard install DVD one of the install options is to restore from a Time Machine backup. Simple.

Comment

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
What if you do not have TM backup system files? Do you have to install OS X, and then restore your files? Or will it just sort of do all that for you?

Comment

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I would imagine you do a fresh install, then let TM do the rest.

The best situation, of course, would be to let it backup everything (with some exclusions like Parallels virtual disks and some cache files).

Comment

Pendora

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
Netherlands
If you don't backup your system files then all you have to do is a fresh install and in a final stage of this install you can choose a location where your old timemachine backup is. Leopard will import all programs, profiles and other settings.

Comment

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
PROBLEM, HD is DYING!!!!!!!

ok, suppose i use time machine right now and backup EVERYTHING on my system, and one day later, my internal HD dies, broken, and unusable, can i bring in my imac to the store so that they can replace it? and after they replace it, my HD has absolutely nothing on it. can i boot up my imac to the leopard install DVD, by doing this, pressing the power button on my imac, push in the leopard drop in that came with my imac, and press and hold down the C key? or the Option key? after that, there will be an icon saying restore Time Machine, and after that, my computer will work fine again? is that how it works?

Comment

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
ok, suppose i use time machine right now and backup EVERYTHING on my system, and one day later, my internal HD dies, broken, and unusable, can i bring in my imac to the store so that they can replace it? and after they replace it, my HD has absolutely nothing on it. can i boot up my imac to the leopard install DVD, by doing this, pressing the power button on my imac, push in the leopard drop in that came with my imac, and press and hold down the C key? or the Option key? after that, there will be an icon saying restore Time Machine, and after that, my computer will work fine again? is that how it works?
go to your user library and roll it back i would imagine

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.