Time Machine - what happens if your main HD dies? (not the backup drive)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RoboCop001, Nov 7, 2007.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

So I was just wondering.... say one day, I'm at my MacBook Pro... when suddenly! Oh no! The hard drive dies! After I bury it in my backyard and get a new one, how do I restore my files using the Time Machine backup HD?

Is that even possible? I hope Time Machine can do that.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Boot up on the Leopard install DVD. There is a Time Machine Restore utility which will do a full restore.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yup, when you put in a Leopard install DVD one of the install options is to restore from a Time Machine backup. Simple.

4. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

5. theman macrumors 6502a

What if you do not have TM backup system files? Do you have to install OS X, and then restore your files? Or will it just sort of do all that for you?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I would imagine you do a fresh install, then let TM do the rest.

The best situation, of course, would be to let it backup everything (with some exclusions like Parallels virtual disks and some cache files).

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Why wouldn't you let Time Machine backup your system files?

8. Pendora macrumors newbie

If you don't backup your system files then all you have to do is a fresh install and in a final stage of this install you can choose a location where your old timemachine backup is. Leopard will import all programs, profiles and other settings.

9. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

PROBLEM, HD is DYING!!!!!!!

ok, suppose i use time machine right now and backup EVERYTHING on my system, and one day later, my internal HD dies, broken, and unusable, can i bring in my imac to the store so that they can replace it? and after they replace it, my HD has absolutely nothing on it. can i boot up my imac to the leopard install DVD, by doing this, pressing the power button on my imac, push in the leopard drop in that came with my imac, and press and hold down the C key? or the Option key? after that, there will be an icon saying restore Time Machine, and after that, my computer will work fine again? is that how it works?

10. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

go to your user library and roll it back i would imagine

11. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

ok, thanx